Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gardai and Trafficwatch Woot!!

• 08-07-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Was driving yesterday on a secondary road and fell in at a junction behind a very large truck with an oversized load with 4 axles but no safety Jeep behind or infront. (Aren't these a requirement?) it was so long I was stuck behind it as I couldn't overtake. Anyway the road has alot off trees on its sides and before I knew where I was it was like Hurricane Katrina with broken branches and oceans of leaves coming down, I was stopping and swerving all over the road to avoid wrecking my car.

Anyway I eventually made it to my destination and phoned traffic watch to report this truck and its trail of debris and destruction. Anyway after meeting my mate whom I was visiting to give him a lift we then ran into the same truck and half the Amazon up on it and the Gardai had him stopped and pulled in at a very large laybye:pac:. I don't know what happened to him but it just shows that the system works and I just wanted to post to prove that trafficwatch is not the total waste of time people think it is.

Good police work and a response from the Gardai, fairplay to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Stitch Jones

Rat :pac:

so in essence you were tailgating him and were upset by a few leaves & twigs......

i take it you live in a town.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

relevent to my interests.

I understand tho, same on the country roads with like 20 tractors a day leaving alot of debris on the road. Not small branches either, some big ones that would take your bumper off or do damage. Stingy farmers wont clean it up after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Rat :pac:

so in essence you were tailgating him and were upset by a few leaves & twigs......

i take it you live in a town.....

Think more like this, plus I was keeping about 5 car lengths back from him otherwise my windscreen would have been driven in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    relevent to my interests.

I understand tho, same on the country roads with like 20 tractors a day leaving alot of debris on the road. Not small branches either, some big ones that would take your bumper off or do damage. Stingy farmers wont clean it up after them.

I agree with you but to be honest the branches shouldn't be there, council should cut ditches of every road in the country and it would make it safer too. Then there would be nothing there to fall down!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Paddy001 wrote: »
    I agree with you but to be honest the branches shouldn't be there, council should cut ditches of every road in the country and it would make it safer too. Then there would be nothing there to fall down!

There isn't a cut ditch in all of Galway and Clare this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Paddy001 wrote: »

Isn't it the landowner's responsibility, not the Council's?

Whoops, "ditches". Mis-read that as branches/hedges.

Isn't it the landowner's responsibility, not the Council's?

Trees may be ( depending on where the tree trunk grows) but a lot of the crap grows on the verge itself which is the councils responsibility.

I know someone whose new car was scraped by hazel scrub down the burren which was growing on the road verge, they are sending Clare county council the bill for it . Clare have not cut anything this year anywhere which will dramatically weaken their case if it goes to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair play OP - I'd hesitate ringing the number as I'd expect my report to be filed in the bin.

Good to see it works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If you want somebody intercepted its better to ring the local station that yer man is heading for.

If a patrol car is about and not on a call they normally love trying to catch things!

Especially drink drivers.

I rang the station where the truck was headed about 3 mins after ringing Traffic watch (just to be sure) and the Garda who answered said traffic watch rang us and we are just going out the door to it.

• Advertisement

A Kerry truck on a Kerry secondary road perchance :p NWK ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A Kerry truck on a Kerry secondary road perchance :p NWK ???

A Kerry truck? I never knew there was such things :pac: although Hegarty's of Killarney make truck bodies but I doubt if they make anything as big as the monstrosity I encountered yesterday.

Advertisement