Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter to Mr. Cowen

Options
  • 08-07-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

This was posted in the Humour Forum but nobody is laughing, there's a feeling that it might work.

Maybe some of the learned posters here can spot what's wrong with the plan.
    Indie18 wrote:

Dear Mr. Cowen

Please find below my suggestions for fixing Ireland's economy.

Instead of giving 7 Billion euro to Anglo Irish Bank, who will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Republican Retirement Plan

There are about 1 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them 7 million euro each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1. They must retire. One million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2. They must buy a new car. One Million cars ordered - Auto industry fixed.

3. They must either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing crises fixed.

4. They must send their kids to school/college/university - Crime rate fixed

5. They must buy 100 euro of alcohol/tobacco a week, and there's your money back in duty/tax etc.

Go on, have any of you guys got a better plan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Hagar wrote: »
    This was posted in the Humour Forum but nobody is laughing, there's a feeling that it might work.

Maybe some of the learned posters here can spot what's wrong with the plan.

Go on, have any of you guys got a better plan?

would that not cost 7 trillion? the first problem i guess would be that we would need to borrow an additional 693 billion euro to fund it and guess what, after inflating the economy to worthlessness and bankrupting the state, we still wouldnt have a functioning banking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭culchienator

how would sending their children to school/college fix crime rates? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

cm2000 wrote: »
    would that not cost 7 trillion?

It would yeah. /Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ah, I see the problem. It's the difference between US Billion and true maths billions

US Billion = 1,000,000,000
    True Billion = 1,000,000,000,000 ie a US trillion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Jasus I thought this was good till i read the comments. Bunch of smart arses in politics....

* Grabs coat and leaves room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

It could still work! Give them the €7,000 each plus the list of stuff they have to do/buy. Fixed.

Advertisement