Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

230 volts drop off but nothing is tripping

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

when i test a socket between live and neutral i get 230v but when i put a load on it i get 0v rcd and mcb are not tripping and i am still getting 230 between live and earth. can someone please come up with an answer please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you might have bad connection on a neutral nearby (if its only a local problem).230v will drop across the high-impedance voltage tester but voltage will fall when a load is connected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Out of interest what do you get between neutral and earth when the load is connected?
    Does the load draw a current when it is connected? (You can check this with a grip on ammeter)
    What is the load? Is the load working as it should?

It sounds like you may have the volt meter connected incorrectly. It should be connected in parallel with the load, not in series with the load.
    rcd and mcb are not tripping
    There is no reason for them to operate. The MCB should only trip if there is a sustained over load or a short circuit condition. The RCD should only trip is there is a difference of more than 30mA between the currnet flowing down the live and the current flowing back on the neutral.

on second thoughts. i wouldnt expect the voltage to drop to zero normally.anyway i'll wait to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PatEgan08

I am going to replace the cable as i have found a junction box
    on it outside and it is not outdoor rated so then i will find out if its a bad connection. The load is a washing machine and is not working also tried a light bulb on a plug same thing happened. I knew the mcb and rcd shouldnt trip just didnt want people saying this was the problem.

you would need voltage monitoring of some type in the connected equipment to protect against 'undervoltage'.Mcbs and rcds only cover fault current ,overcurrent and short-circuit as you prob already know

• Advertisement

Do you think sags or brownouts would harm the washing machine this much

do you call 0v a brownout :D

no i wouldnt call 0v a brownout but why do i need to protect against undervoltages if its 0v its not getting any voltage sorry but i havent had much experience with undervoltages this has me very confused. i didnt replace the cable yet but will let you know if it works.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OK lets recap:

The load is not working, there is no voltage between L & N and there is 230 volts between L & E. The problem is that your neutral is broken.

What you have to do is find where the neutral is broken. I would say that there is a good chance that this is at the junction box.

PatEgan08 wrote: »
    no i wouldnt call 0v a brownout but why do i need to protect against undervoltages if its 0v its not getting any voltage sorry but i havent had much experience with undervoltages this has me very confused. i didnt replace the cable yet but will let you know if it works.
    i didn't mean your specific machine needed protection.:D

• Advertisement

the neutral is not broken because i have 230v between live neutral until i plug in the washing machine never came across somethng like that before could be a faulty socket could be the junction box didnt get round to the house since but im replacing everything today everything should be fine then just wanted a few ideas why voltage was droppig to 0 very strange.:confused:

check/ replace at socket anyhow first

Advertisement