Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza '09

• 13-04-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

So... anyone heading along this year?

Tickets still cheap atm, 59e, though don't know if they're going up... Anyone heard anything about a line-up?

Also, anyone who went last year know what the beer situation is? I know you can't bring cans in, so how much are cans inside? What kind of selection are we talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

So... anyone heading along this year?

Tickets still cheap atm, 59e, though don't know if they're going up... Anyone heard anything about a line-up?

Also, anyone who went last year know what the beer situation is? I know you can't bring cans in, so how much are cans inside? What kind of selection are we talking about?

Yeah I'll be there...been for the last 3 years and last year was the best yet! Great crowd and vibe. The beer situation is still a problem though. Can't remember what the selection as in the bars though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Just for the people who aren't too sure whats been alluded to, campers aren't allowed bring in their own alcohol to the campsite at this festival unlike every other festival in the country.

This thread from last year is probably a good start for general info on the festival.

For reference here is the organisers reply from last year regards what was available: "Tiger on draught, Bud, guinness on draught. Cans of Kopparberg & most of the usual lagers. Wine, cocktails, jagermeister etc."
    I don't think Guinness every materialised and I'm pretty sure Tiger had run out by day one and I've a vague memory of EVERYTHING running out towards the end. They also mentioned that off sales would be available at reasonable prices. This turned out to be €4 a can which obviously was not what most people felt was a reasonable price.

Ultimately my major issue is why they just don't clearly state their policy? It is not a normal situation and it should be included in the information about the festival and not hidden behind coy wording in the terms and conditions. If they are afraid it will disuade people why not resolve it and if thats not possible why not come up with a cheaper alternative onsite?

Personally I've loved this festival every time I've gone down and while I've been vocal about the alcohol situation I've always been vocal about how good the rest of the festival has been. Even knowning the problems I've gone back and I've had an early bird ticket for 2009 as long as they've been on sale. It's a brilliantly relaxed compact festival which usually has a decent selection of upcoming bands and at the early bird price is certainly worth picking up. Just hope to see some better handling of the drink situation this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Was there any dance music there last year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Spunge wrote: »
    From what I can remember no. No names of note anyways although there could have been a tent banging out some funky house or the like.

Seems Life is the best bet for the dance. Castlepalooza - well I cant have any respect for a festival which includes Fight Like Apes in its bill - thats just me though

Yeah there was a second tent last year with a fair bit. Mystery Jets did a great set on the main stage on the Saturday night. Republic of Loose did a DJ set on the Sunday night....but it wasn't all that great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

catch--22 wrote: »
    Yeah there was a second tent last year with a fair bit. Mystery Jets did a great set on the main stage on the Saturday night. Republic of Loose did a DJ set on the Sunday night....but it wasn't all that great!
    I have heard great things about this... and its such good value! whats the camping situation like? also if you get a train to tullamore is it really within walking distance from the station?
    Thanks!

lala stone wrote: »
    I have heard great things about this... and its such good value! whats the camping situation like? also if you get a train to tullamore is it really within walking distance from the station?
    Thanks!

It's about 20 minutes from the town.....best bet is to grab a taxi....they normally let them right up to the gate (if you arrive early).

The campsite is in the garden at the back of the castle within the rows of trees. Here's the castle and you can see the camping area in the trees behind it:

http://www.dublinks.com/assets/15/01015BE9-C66E-78CE-777A50B29B363868_big_image/image_Dublin-Festivals.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

It's about 20 minutes from the town.....best bet is to grab a taxi....they normally let them right up to the gate (if you arrive early).

The campsite is in the garden at the back of the castle within the rows of trees. Here's the castle and you can see the camping area in the trees behind it:

http://www.dublinks.com/assets/15/01015BE9-C66E-78CE-777A50B29B363868_big_image/image_Dublin-Festivals.jpg
    Thanks!!!

New website is up. Also contains a pretty clear section about alcohol saying you are not allowed bring your own. I'm glad they've listened to complaints about it not being clear.

Line-up:

Ambience Affair
    Channel 1
    Dave Peyton
    David Kitt
    Dark Room notes
    La Galaxie
    Nell Byden
    Noise Control
    Robotnik
    R.S.A.G.
    Tu Ki
    DJ Baz
    DJ Steve Reddy
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show

more soon

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Was going to go but missed out on the €59 tickets!!! So pissed off with myself. Think i'll give it a miss at €90... with the recession and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciancastle

yes there was this is two clips from my set last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KjMD3CzMAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxaIEeYass

hope you injoy
    djciano

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

Hey there,

I know you are unable to bring in your own drink, but is their any point in trying? Are there security checks done when you are going in the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciancastle

Joyce88 wrote: »
    Hey there,

I know you are unable to bring in your own drink, but is their any point in trying? Are there security checks done when you are going in the door?

yep no drink can be broth onto the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

ciancastle wrote: »
    yep no drink can be broth onto the site

Yes, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Absouletly no point in trying... so the organisers can save some money not bothering employing people to check ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Line-up:

Ambience Affair
    Channel 1
    Dave Peyton
    David Kitt
    Dark Room notes
    La Galaxie
    Nell Byden
    Noise Control
    Robotnik
    R.S.A.G.
    Tu Ki
    DJ Baz
    DJ Steve Reddy
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show

more soon

Heh-heh! I'm in that Rocky Horror Show. Getting free AAA passes for myself and the missus for the whole festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Opinions on the line-up? Looks decent to me...
    Love this festival.
    Any interest in it here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

I thought the promoters name looked familiar. For anyone contemplating going have a read through this thread of complaints about last years Glimmerball news years party run by the same promoters in the same location.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055455733&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

So what goes on in the campsite if no-one's drinking?
    Sleeping?:eek:

You can buy booze in the festivals off licence... its just at a silly price. Plenty of people got booze in last year as well.. just don't arrive with a small cash and carrys worth on show and I'm sure you'll get through with some this year as well.

The Chapters and Big Dish Go are added.

Also prices for the bars/offy posted. Fair play for a lot more transparency this time around and €4.50 is a far cry from the €6 some larger promoters have been charging for pints this year.
    We can not allow any alcohol to be brought on site. The bars will be reasonable & cans can be bought in bulk.
    Don’t even try as it will get confiscated & dumped. This is due to our specific license & has been the way ever since 2006.
    We acknowledge the annoyance of this but our bars will have bargains so don’t worry.

* Off license can price €3
    * Off license slabs €60
    * Draught beers,stout €4.50
    * Kopparberg Ciders €4.50
    * Shorts & mixers €6
    * Shots €5
    * Cocktails €7
    * Glass of Wine €4

Full bars are open from 12pm to 10pm on Saturday & 10am to 10pm on Sunday.
    Off license open from 8pm to 10pm daily.
    See you soon & drink responsibly please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 2cracks

Can anyone give me heads up on who to go see? I was blown away by RSAG last year but went to see him during the year in Limerick and it was drab by comparison....

2cracks wrote: »
    Can anyone give me heads up on who to go see? I was blown away by RSAG last year but went to see him during the year in Limerick and it was drab by comparison....

Give RSAG another go! You might have got him on a bad night in Limerick.

Dark Room Notes and Noise Control and brilliant live bands...so recommend both of them. Robtnik is always great fun to watch too. Tu Ki was there last year and really enjoyed that set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

I'm planning on seeing (again)
    8 ball
    DRN
    La Galaxie
    Super Extra Bonus Party
    The Spikes
    Big Dish Go

but the beautiful part of it all is that the venue is so small the main tent is 3 minutes walk away...so if you tried..you could see everyone!

Weather is not looking good. :( At least if it does rain it isn't as bad as some festivals.

Also Anyone any idea how much it would cost to get a minibus from Dublin to the festival and get it to pick up on the way back? The trains are about 33 quid return and there is six of us so it must work out similar to get a minibus but I have no idea how to go about organising one. If we did and there was any space would others be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Toast wrote: »
    Weather is not looking good. :( At least if it does rain it isn't as bad as some festivals.

Also Anyone any idea how much it would cost to get a minibus from Dublin to the festival and get it to pick up on the way back? The trains are about 33 quid return and there is six of us so it must work out similar to get a minibus but I have no idea how to go about organising one. If we did and there was any space would others be interested?

Not sure about minibuses but Kearns do a bus service that runs through Tullamore. I think it's about 12 euro for a return ticket, it's a good bit cheaper than the train but the time tables on their website can be hard to under stand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I just decided last minute to go as I got cheap tickets but I don't have any info and can't get onto the castlepalooza website in work. Could someone send me a copy of the map of the grounds and a timetable if they're listed on the website? Thanks!

Advertisement