Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet & Wireless

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi. We have Permanet broadband with our desktop and would like to sort a wireless connection for 2 laptops. As this is our first time going this route, I was hoping for some advice on what to purchase and the best place to buy it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

As long as both Laptops have a Wireless option then all you should need will be a Wireless Router which you can either get for your current ISP or PC world.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

Both laptops have wireless, however our desktop is a bit on the 'old' side (2001), so I'm not sure if I need something more than just the router. I was in a computer shop in Killarney and he sold me an Edimax wireless router, but it doesn't seem to work properly.

I'd done a bit of searching on the internet and noticed a good few had problems hooking up a wireless system with Permanet Broadband but not been able to source a solution. Netgear was mentioned, but there was no mention of which model and Argos sell at least 6 different types of Netgear routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

Laxie wrote: »
    Both laptops have wireless, however our desktop is a bit on the 'old' side (2001), so I'm not sure if I need something more than just the router. I was in a computer shop in Killarney and he sold me an Edimax wireless router, but it doesn't seem to work properly.

I'd done a bit of searching on the internet and noticed a good few had problems hooking up a wireless system with Permanet Broadband but not been able to source a solution. Netgear was mentioned, but there was no mention of which model and Argos sell at least 6 different types of Netgear routers.

There are two main types of wireless routers sold.
    1: ADSL modem routers. These are basically two products in one. It contains an ADSL modem which you connect your phone line too. The modem makes the connection between you and you ISP through a phone line. The router part then shares this over the wired and wireless interfaces (The description is not 100% technically correct but for these purposes it will do)

2: 'Cable' routers. These are a router with wireless and wired interfaces. One of the wired ports is designated as the uplink or WAN port and this is connected to an external modem. In this case you connect a network cable from your external modem to the WAN port on the router. They are sometimes called 'cable' routers because the normal domestic situation they are used in is where the internet connection is by a cable tv supplier which provides a cable modem.

Even though Permanet uses a fixed wireless connection, the modem that they supply is a cable modem. So the first thing that you need to make sure is that the router that you purchased is a cable type router and not an ADSL modem router.

If it's the right type of router then you need to go into a little bit more detail about what is not working about it. Go step by step through what you did. The most obvious thing that may have happened is that you connected the network cable from the modem to the router to the wrong port on to router. The port on the router that the modem should be connected to is usually coloured differently and marked as WAN. This should be in the setup instruction that came with it as well.
    The other thing to look out for is for setting up the router you normally need to be connected to the wired ports, this is done as a security precaution.

As regards to brands of routers, I set up a wireless router on a Permanet connection for my parents. It was a Buffalo router (this one) but there shouldn't be any technical issue why any brand of router wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Use permanet here with a wireless router without problem.

dahak has pretty much explained everything in the above post.

I currently use a Linksys WRT54G Cable router

The Permanet modem is connected to the Internet port on the router
    My Desktop PC is connected via ethernet cable to port 1 of the router

Then my Laptop connects to my network via the wireless router.

Pretty basic and pretty simple, use DHCP if you don't want to configure specific IP address' for each PC (let the router do it for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

You lot have been great so far...cheers! Well, we're half way there. lol I have no idea how, but managed to fix it so at least one laptop (Toshiba) is working via the wireless router. Went to the Edimax (router) website and they sent me here: http://192.168.2.1/index.asp

Was a complete fluke that I ticked the right boxes to even enable the use of one, but wondering is there something more I should be looking to 'tick' to enable the use of more than one laptop on their set up page? Either that or I've an issue with the Acer laptop. Thanks again for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

Laxie wrote: »
    You lot have been great so far...cheers! Well, we're half way there. lol I have no idea how, but managed to fix it so at least one laptop (Toshiba) is working via the wireless router. Went to the Edimax (router) website and they sent me here: http://192.168.2.1/index.asp

Was a complete fluke that I ticked the right boxes to even enable the use of one, but wondering is there something more I should be looking to 'tick' to enable the use of more than one laptop on their set up page? Either that or I've an issue with the Acer laptop. Thanks again for all the help.

The 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address is the web server running on your router. The 192 address space is a private address, meaning that only you can 'see' the web server on the router while connected to it (the router, wired or wirelessly) and not from the general internet. Some routers only let you see and edit their configuration page while connected through a wired connection (LAN).

The fact that you have a wireless connection working for one of the laptops is a good start. It would be very difficult to say what you need to day to get the second laptop connected without; a) knowing what you did to get the first one connected and b) what errors the second laptop is giving you when you try to connect it to the wireless. A good starting point however would be to make sure that the second laptop is getting an IP address from the router by DHCP.

By the way is the desktop working correctly when connected to a wired port
    LAN port on the router?

Advertisement