Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cisco -> netgear ?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey got UPC broadband,
    guy was saying the wireless is not strong on it, so wondering if its possible to run an ethernet cable from it to a netgear router[WGR614] and use it as a wireless?
    would i need to change setting anywhere?

dont both of them have the same ip
    192.168.1.1 ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't have UPC, but generally this should work without a problem.

First you will want to go into the Cisco router and turn off wireless (so that they don't interfere) and also turn off DHCP on the Cisco.

However I'd be surprised if there was much difference in wireless performance between them. I'd think it would only be worth doing if you were running a 802.11n network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I would anticipate that this will become a frequently asked question, so it would be interesting to hear of anyone's experiences in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Well cisco is 802.11G standard, i did a speed test online and got 2.7mbps, where as direct ethernet connection gives 3.0 mbps, so not too bad. However loading times seem slow.

I tried that bk, il try again tonight.

i think its cisco epc2425

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I have been running the same Cisco as you since yesterday and also previously used the same Netgear for my wireless connection (through Eircom) at home.

I've found so far that they both have pretty much the same quality of service and the PS3 that I connect wirelessly in my attic would point to that being the case also, Actually the Cisco seemed to have about a 5% stronger signal on average and it's a slight bit further away from the Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Maybe im missing something here but Im assuming that UPC provide the Cisco.

If that the case then the Cisco is your gateway @192.168.1.1.

You then setup the netgear with an ip of say 192.168.1.2 and sets its default gateway to the cisco ip address.

Everything in your house can then connect to the netgear and the netgear forwards on external traffic to its gateway (ie the cisco, which forwards to upc)

You cant have two items with the same ip address on the same network.

• Advertisement

how do i change ip address for netgear?
    set static one ? LAN connection properties?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

voxpop wrote: »
    You then setup the netgear with an ip of say 192.168.1.2 and sets its default gateway to the cisco ip address.

I don't have this, but normally you don't need to do that.

You can do that, but it just complicates things a lot, so unless you have a specific need to do that, then I wouldn't bother.

i got it working

-turn off wireless on cisco
    -just connect thernet cable to ethernet port in netgear to ethernet port in cisco

i had to connect each router to my LAN and configure using 192.168.1.1

And there is a huge speed difference, very noticeable !!!

bk wrote: »
    I don't have this, but normally you don't need to do that.

You can do that, but it just complicates things a lot, so unless you have a specific need to do that, then I wouldn't bother.

You do have to do that unless the Cisco is setup as a dhcp server and the netgear is setup to get its address dynamically.

@Placebo - have you just plugged the ethernet cable from the cable modem straight into the netgear router ? If so why are you using the cisco at all ?

Yeah thats what i did, because UPC is cable bband and cisco is a cable modem, where as netgear is adsl?

• Advertisement

I guess if it works it works.

I have UPC as well and they just gave me a small cable modem(not cisco). This goes to my netgear (firewall+voip). The netgear is then connected to my 3com wireless router. There was no real settings on my upc bb modem - just the netgear and 3com.

so:

internet -->upc modem -->netgear -->3com-->everything else

You do have to do that unless the Cisco is setup as a dhcp server and the netgear is setup to get its address dynamically.

That is how most wireless routers are set up by default, they are set to receive a dynamic IP address on the WAN port.

So you just connect the ethernet out of the cisco directly to the WAN port on the netgear and the netgear will get the address dynamically.

@Placebo - have you just plugged the ethernet cable from the cable modem straight into the netgear router ? If so why are you using the cisco at all ?

The Cisco is a combined cable modem and wireless router, there is no separate cable modem like NTL use to give in the old days, now they just assume that everyone wants wireless, so they integrated the two, saves money.

Placebo, the Netgear WGR614 isn't an ADSL modem, it is just a wireless router.

sorry my bad, yeah its no phone line jack in back. its old ntl one i kept that came with this and the cable modem

wireless on cisco is bit sketch

Advertisement