Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound problems

Options
  • 08-07-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I bought a old P4 PC on Adverts but can't get any sound, I went into device manager and it says there's no driver for the sound which is on the mobo, I tried to look for drivers but couldn't find any, I was wondering if I flash the bios will that sort out the sound ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I was wondering if I flash the bios will that sort out the sound ?
    I think it's very unlikely to help, unless the bios is somehow corrupt or there's a known issue with the onboard sound that was fixed in a bios update... but still it'd be near the bottom of my list of things to try.
    I tried to look for drivers but couldn't find any
    I think you need to find these drivers (if they exist for your OS)... where did you go wrong in your search?
    Do you know what sound hardware the mobo has?
    Does it use a common chipset/codec/whatever like AC97? You might be able to cut out the middle-man (mobo manufacturer) and go straight to the source for the drivers.
    Did you find drivers for it? but just not for your operating system?

You could always disable the onboard sound in the bios options, and pick up a PCI soundcard cheaply enough... this is the option I'd take personally, since I find onboard sound lacking (nVidia soundstorm excepted).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

First find the motherboard type and then find the drivers for it.

CPUZ will give you the MB specs if unknown.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gonzothegreat

Thanks everyone for your help, I just downloaded the realtech driver and all is working well. Thanks again:D

Advertisement