Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to organise surprise wedding.

Options
  • 08-07-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have posted this in weddings section but just hoped by posting here Limerick boardies can recommend venues, restaurants or stores e.t.c in Limerick.

Ok. I am helping a family member to do this.
    Shes pregnant at the moment and due soon. She is engaged a long time but only her partner working and money is very tight .

When she has the baby christened in november she is going to surprise everyone by walking up the aisle and get married and christening at the end.

This is up to me to help organise as its a big secret but there is very little time to organise and a nonexistent budget,
    We were thinking send out invites and make the time a little early so people dont turn up in the middle.
    Maybe a meal for 30-40 people or buffet or party after?She was thinking of booking Ginger lilies chinese but Id love her to have something more traditional even if its not a sit down meal but a buffet.
    any tips on any aspect really appreciated.
    We will be trying to diy it as much as possible/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

erm, feeding 40 people with a nonexistend budget? start to collect the two-for-one vouchers at the back of the tesco receipts and have a receiption at Eddie Rockets, McDonalds or Supermacs. ;):D

but seriously: i think a buffet would be cheaper then a sit-down meal. or pub grub maybe? or rent a (small) function room in a hotel and bring your own drink and food (the DIY aspect). or throw a big houseparty in a . that's totally DIY then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 notmyname79

yes thanks had'nt thought of renting somewhere and doing food at least then as many people who want to come could come along. I could try the clubhouse ( think it a rugby club) near grove island had a couple of family parties there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

yes, st. mary's RC at grove island were doing family parties. they had christenings, communions and so on. good idea actually! there is parking space on the ground too. and it's close-ish to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Firstly, I wouldn’t expect this to stay a surprise for long! Large christenings in the current climate are unusual so people will get a bit suspicious!!!

What day of the week is it? If mid-week you could get good room rental somewhere.

One thing to remember, if the budget is minimal feeding and watering 40 people will still not be cheap. You would need to allow a minimum of half bottle of wine per person, to allow for big drinkers and non drinkers. If you can rent a room and provide your own food a drink at no extra change it may not be too bad. 20 bottles * €10 = €200 for a start. Ideally, find an off license that will provide wine on a sale or return basis and that will throw in glass hire for free, if the venue isn’t providing. You will also need a range of soft drinks and some beer for the non wine drinkers. If your venue has a cash bar you can keep the freebees to a minimum.

Cake – you can spend as much or as little as you want

Photographs – do you have a friend that could take these? Professional photographers cost a lot of money

Gifts – remember if the wedding is a ‘surprise’ the guests will not be bringing a wedding present which most couples would use to offset the cost of the wedding (many people give cash gifts)

Do you have anyone that could help out with preparing food? This would be a much cheaper option than having a caterer. Superquinn used to do cold meat platters – I’m not sure if they still do. It would be worth checking out prices to have some catering done for you, meats for example, and then makes salads yourself.

Will there be many children at the event? If so, a rugby club may be a good venue – if the weather is nice plenty room for the kids to run around outside.

Decorations – if renting a room in a club rather than a hotel you will need to set some money aside to put some decorations or flowers into the room.

Table ware – depending on venue to may have to cover the costs of table cloths, napkins, delf etc

I think a trip to Banbridge or Newry would be a good idea once you know what you need. Good value on booze and things like tableware.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 notmyname79

Thanks great idea's here.
    A family member is a photographer so they will be there anyway to take a few snaps of the christening.
    We hope to have about 1000 euro for food and drink and prob try to get somewhere with a bar.
    We were thinking of getting a cake from the cake hall i think its called on grove island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

you don't need to provide wine for a wedding....let people buy their own if they want it seriously...it can be done on the cheap!!

if you know anyone working in a pub who does food ask them...i had a communion recently ...had a big family party due to my dad being very sick recently we had a good family gathering ...fed about 60 people chicken curry and rice...had lasgane and potato salad , coleslaw , lettuces, rice and pasta salads....
    done chips and nuggets for kids and made apple tarts, pavalova and bought a big chocolate fudge cake ...had ice cream and jelly ..

all food came to 150euro..

now you could up this to a nicer meal but it can be done cheap if you can find a friend who is willing to it for you !

best of luck with it

Advertisement