Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reps finished

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

the ending of reps was defo on the cards due to lack of money,hope they keep paying reps 4 for the five yrs as this is my first time in it!!,i also see the disadvantaged area payments could be slashed again!then things will be bad:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

I hear people talking about the green shoots of recovery in the recession... it has not hit bottom yet in my opinion........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djmc wrote: »
    Just saw reps is over as if things are not bad enough
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2009/july/title,33107,en.html

Its made the headlines in today's Examiner here

Farmers furious over decision to close REPS 4 to future applicants

By Agribusiness Reporter

Thursday, July 09, 2009

FARMERS are furious at the Government’s decision to close the Rural Environment Protection Scheme to new applicants and are demanding an immediate meeting with Taoiseach Biffo.

FARMERS are furious at the Government’s decision to close the Rural Environment Protection Scheme to new applicants and are demanding an immediate meeting with Taoiseach Biffo.

Farmer representatives yesterday walked out of a government meeting and are set to revolt against what they describe as "further draconian cuts" in disadvantaged area payments and the closure of REPS 4 for future applicants.

IFA president Padraig Walshe said farmers are outraged at these decisions at a time when farm incomes are at their lowest level in almost a decade and tens of thousands of farm families are struggling to survive.

He said it is now clear the Government and public sector bosses are hell bent on creating a two-tier society. Farm incomes are now below a third of those enjoyed by the public sector.

The Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers’ Association president Malcolm Thompson said, "This is entirely unacceptable and another devastating blow to the farming community, who have already been subjected to savage budget cuts. The decision to close the REPS scheme and use modulated funds to support new agri environment measures shows a complete lack of foresight and will totally undermine confidence in environmental protection schemes."

Yesterday, Agriculture Minister Brendan Smith said "In view of the current budgetary situation and the increase, over the past year, from 46,694 to approx 62,000 in the number of REPS’ participants, it has been decided to close REPS 4 to all new applicants, as well as those completing their current five-year REPS contracts.

"This decision is necessary to keep REPS within its budgetary allocation over the coming years. A record 17,000 applications were received for the 2009 scheme, which closed in mid-May. The 2009 scheme also represents the highest-ever spending on REPS."

Mr Smith described REPS as "a very successful scheme which, up to and including this year, has contributed over €3 billion to Irish farmers."

He confirmed "Payments will continue within REPS and several hundred million will continue to be paid to current participants until the end of existing five-year contracts."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/agri-business/farmers-furious-over-decision-to-close-reps-4-to-future-applicants--95946.html#ixzz0KkaSayKi&C

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

Was in with my planner this morning putting the final touches on the Reps4 plan. Getting it in today. Am i wasting my time (and more importantly - money)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Another nail in the coffin of Irish Farmers.

They are going to cut the disadvantaged payments for farmers too in order to save a couple of million. This will result in thousands of farmers in disadvantaged areas being eligable for Farm Assist and medical cards.

It will cost them much more to pay the Farm Assist and investment in the land and rural economy will dwindle.

Is there anyone who can make them see some common sense?????????????

• Advertisement

dryan wrote: »
    Was in with my planner this morning putting the final touches on the Reps4 plan. Getting it in today. Am i wasting my time (and more importantly - money)?

Today is the last day. Just make sure its submitted by 5pm.

yep, tipping to mullingar at lunchtime with the plan to drop it into the Departments offices.

reilig wrote: »
    Today is the last day. Just make sure its submitted by 5pm.

I take it this is for 2010 applications- and applications between the 15th of May and 5PM today represent the totality of 2010 applications being accepted?

The big problem is REPS and other forms of transfer payments are being used to subsidise below cost production for retailors such as Tesco. Irish farmers *need* to urgently take Tesco, Centra and their ilk to task. How can 15.4c a litre paid to the producer for milk translate into a 99c litre for the consumer?

The abolition of price controls really is hanging both producers and processors out to dry.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I take it this is for 2010 applications- and applications between the 15th of May and 5PM today represent the totality of 2010 applications being accepted?

In my case, Yes, it is a 2010 application. According to planner, all 2010 apps will be accepted before 5pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Keeperlit

In my case, Yes, it is a 2010 application. According to planner, all 2010 apps will be accepted before 5pm this evening.

Dont pay for it upfront!Any private planner will give you leeway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

How is this going to affect reps planners. I know some private planners/advisor's who were making the bulk of their incomes from reps.

kfk wrote: »
    How is this going to affect reps planners. I know some private planners/advisor's who were making the bulk of their incomes from reps.

Perhaps they might set up some sort of viable alternate to Teagasc for general agricultural advisory services? The annual subscription to Teagasc would be a very valuable sort of set income for them? Of course there would be the issue of professional indemnity etc- but if Teagasc advisors have indemnity cover- surely a reciprochal arrangement at cost could be organised for the independent sector?

Perhaps they might set up some sort of viable alternate to Teagasc for general agricultural advisory services? The annual subscription to Teagasc would be a very valuable sort of set income for them? Of course there would be the issue of professional indemnity etc- but if Teagasc advisors have indemnity cover- surely a reciprochal arrangement at cost could be organised for the independent sector?

How much is Teagasc annual subscription??

Keeperlit wrote: »
    How much is Teagasc annual subscription??

Varies depending on farm size- I can't seem to find a schedule of their fees on their website- I'll have a dig and see if I can find anything.

Varies depending on farm size- I can't seem to find a schedule of their fees on their website- I'll have a dig and see if I can find anything.

Thay don't have fixed fees, it varies from office to office - as far as I can tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Just say the farmers journal now and if I had the Taoiseach near me I most certainly would kill him. Never has there been such a disgrace in the history of Irish politics, my farm is now uneconomical and worthless with this decision. It was on Reps 3 when the old one died recently and the plan died with her and we were in the process of getting ready to go into reps 4.

When will the farmers and people of Ireland find their voice and remove this government from office by force for once and for all. Young Male 22 soon to be penniless already looking at Qantas flights. Goodbye Ireland forever.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    When will the farmers and people of Ireland find their voice and remove this government from office by force for once and for all. Young Male 22 soon to be penniless already looking at Qantas flights. Goodbye Ireland forever.

here here... I have been financially crippled in the last 18 mths by the lack of foresight of this government..... The Rich will stay rich and the Poor will get poorer under FF...... Its time for a change (Although its too late and the damage is done)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

We were looking at taking on a farm next year, 70 acres of good land coming back out of a lease. installation aid was a blow, but this is a real kick in the stones.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think they wont survive the next election pity its two years away
    I am also thinking of leaving farming it is not paying to rent land either
    What will happen rare breeds like kerry and dexter now mass cull when plans run out I suspect

djmc wrote: »
    I think they wont survive the next election pity its two years away
    I am also thinking of leaving farming it is not paying to rent land either
    What will happen rare breeds like kerry and dexter now mass cull when plans run out I suspect

Not to forget Galway sheep etc too.

The fact of the matter is farmers have been abused by the large multiples- who have assumed they would have an endless supply of below cost produce- because the EU and national governments would continue to subsidise it.

We need to find a mechanism to get a fair price for Irish produce for Irish farmers- and a fair deal for Irish consumers.

Its rather telling that Tesco refuse to comment on the profitability of their Irish operations.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

What impact will the reps decision have on the forthcoming Lisbon Treaty
    Heard no coverage on national media today
    Shows what concern there is for the farmers nationally

As far as I know 50%of this scheme is funded from Europe of the 50% funded nationally deduct the income levy of 2%,health levy of 4%,paye @42% for those with off farm incomes and VAT recovered from purchases and inputs and the government have most of the cost back.
    With construction related off farm income now virtually non existant our rural economy will suffer big time
    Call Joe Duffy

REPS is 45% state funded, 55% EU funded
    Forestry is 100% State funded
    Suckler cow welfare scheme is 100% state funded
    All the animal welfare schemes are 100% state funded

Source here

So therefore the cost is even less to the state
    As a nation we must be well and truly banjaxed

So therefore the cost is even less to the state
    As a nation we must be well and truly banjaxed

Put it this way- we have to borrow just shy of 26 billion this year. This represents almost 56% of total government expenditure (well over half).

Its almost incredible the lack of attention the appalling state our national finances are in- is getting in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

jesus thats a fair whack gone outta the farm income in 1 go, just to be straight, reps 4 is totally locked to new intrants, even those in reps 3? things will be pretty dire if/when the area aid and single farm goes.

The last person out of Rural ireland turn the light off.Say hello to overgrown fields,covered in gorse ,thistles and ragwort.Back to roadside hedges bein a mess.....shed roofs being rusty red....scrap and machinery strewn across fields......fertiliser/slurry being spread across watercourses....the list goes on.....farmers may be fined under cross compliance but i cant see them making the effort.

The ordinary person is suffering for the high paid civil servants misdemeanours in this country yet they will still get their full pension

Talk about timing RE the Lisbon Treaty....they fairly shot themselves in the foot with that the good for nothing shower of morons

Sheep farming Australia 2010.....anyone wanna join me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Put it this way- we have to borrow just shy of 26 billion this year. This represents almost 56% of total government expenditure (well over half).

It's the 'elephant in the room' alright.

With the REPS and Area aid going, i seriously think i would be better off sleeping in till noon, watch TV all day, and live of the state.

Im here scratching my head wondering why on earth i got up at 5:30am this morning to knock 4 acres of silage to try and save it before the rain forecast for saturday.....killing meself to try to be in work for 8:30??
    Where is the sense in that??

Christ almighty, where is it all gone wrong?

NZ the place to go.. the Governmet there value their Farmers as they know they are world renowned for their Lamb

• Advertisement

The ordinary person is suffering for the high paid civil servants misdemeanours in this country yet they will still get their full pension

Don't bet on it staying this way. The McCarthy report hasn't been leaked (yet), but the rumours are that there are proposals for a massive reform in there (including full taxation of pension payments, and lumpsums).

The rumours about the contents of that report are taking legs, as it were.

I'll join you. I was more thinking New Zealand than Australia though..... Always liked sheep- apart from lambing season......

With the REPS and Area aid going, i seriously think i would be better off sleeping in till noon, watch TV all day, and live of the state.

Im here scratching my head wondering why on earth i got up at 5:30am this morning to knock 4 acres of silage to try and save it before the rain forecast for saturday.....killing meself to try to be in work for 8:30??
    Where is the sense in that??

Christ almighty, where is it all gone wrong?

Agree totally with you
    Its all gone wrong with the prick of a junior minister we have representing us the same guy who got the grants figures wrong last year
    Who votes for these ass holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I am in my final year of REPS 3, this is a devastating blow. How are we to plan futures for ourselves and our families when we have decisions like these being made.
    Do the people in their offices ever think of how this will affect people, real people?
    Farmers are not that highly paid for their work and then to be given this huge pay deduction along with cuts elsewhere it is just making it impossible to believe there is a future in farming. We have good years and bad years but we had these payments to fall back on.

I'm very disillusioned right now with farming, the government and life in general, this will have a very big impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This an awful and disgraceful blow. The Press Release was pure FF spin, with talk of "extra" money for various incentives.
    I'm not 100% certain but there is NOT 62,000 people participating in REPS 4 alone; anybody have facts on this? It is only open really a year and a half.

Am fairly sure that 62,000 includes a huge whack of REPS 3 , such as yourself Min, that have been cut out completely from the Scheme it seems; i.e people ending REPS 3 over the next few years/months.

IFA need to get out on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Part of the minister's announcement
    The Minister said that he also proposed to introduce a new targeted agri-environment measure which will be funded by Modulation and the European Economic Recovery Programme (EERP) and will provide a menu of targeted measures from which farmers may choose. This measure will be focused on the delivery of tangible environmental benefits – climate change, water management, bio-diversity, bio-energy and dairy restructuring.

In keeping with Government policy on schemes of this nature, this new measure will be strictly cash limited. The Minister added that this scheme will provide a transitional payment for farmers when their REPS contracts expire. The final decision as to the maximum payment per farmer will be taken later in the year, when final decisions are taken in relation to the 2010 Budget and the Department’s Estimates for next year.

I bet it won't add up to much.

They will end up with thousands of farmers on farm assist and no doubt that will be cut too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

:confused:
    Vague rubbish. What kind of idiots cut a scheme that is 55% EU funded? An obvious net infllow of funds intop the country turned off. Can somebody explain the logic to me, I'm lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mooverlive

im just boiling these bastards have ruined our ecconomy and country but whos to blame but the idiots that voted for them . spoke with politican recently asked him why were multiples left get away with skimming every last penny out of our pockets , he told me to f*** off and not to b whinging . where are we going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

The last person out of Rural ireland turn the light off.Say hello to overgrown fields,covered in gorse ,thistles and ragwort.Back to roadside hedges bein a mess.....shed roofs being rusty red....scrap and machinery strewn across fields......fertiliser/slurry being spread across watercourses....the list goes on.....farmers may be fined under cross compliance but i cant see them making the effort.

Talk about timing RE the Lisbon Treaty....they fairly shot themselves in the foot with that the good for nothing shower of morons

put it up for sale someone will buy it to grow their farming enterprise or are you one of these people that will not sell to a near by farmer just in case he can make a go of it,theres no need for any land to be left idle

Just say the farmers journal now and if I had the Taoiseach near me I most certainly would kill him. Never has there been such a disgrace in the history of Irish politics, my farm is now uneconomical and worthless with this decision. It was on Reps 3 when the old one died recently and the plan died with her and we were in the process of getting ready to go into reps 4.

PHEW ! :) Just spoke with the father and we are actually after just recently being accepted into Reps four, was absolutely gutted today as it would be a loss of around 12K a year to an already fragile income (the reps is what keeps the farm going).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

PHEW ! :) Just spoke with the father and we are actually after just recently being accepted into Reps four, was absolutely gutted today as it would be a loss of around 12K a year to an already fragile income (the reps is what keeps the farm going).

your one of the lucky ones so..im coming towards the end of REPS 3 and a couple of months ago I asked my planner about jumping into REPS4 as I was afraid this might happen, i was told they were too busy to do a plan for me and that REPS 4 was a mess bla bla..I should have gone to another planner there and then..looks like it will be an expensive mistake!

mooverlive wrote: »
    im just boiling these bastards have ruined our ecconomy and country but whos to blame but the idiots that voted for them . spoke with politican recently asked him why were multiples left get away with skimming every last penny out of our pockets , he told me to f*** off and not to b whinging . where are we going

Fianna Fail are the scum of the earth, they are generations of the same families feathering there own nests..... Time to get them out of government....

There is no logic behind closing a scheme that is 55% funded by European money. The scheme requires the Farmer to reinvest the majority of this money hence there is a spin off for local retailers (Fencing Supplies / Nurseries for plants / quarries - stone / Gates etc) and hence the government re coops some of this money via vat and income tax.

This scheme was the life blood that was keeping many rural areas on or above the bread line.

This decision sums up this government, no foresight......

FIANNA FAIL OUT... ENOUGH DAMAGE DONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

As an ecologist I'm equally disgusted for farmers doing good work in this area throughout the country. Unfortunately people are only now just realizing what a bunch of crooks we've had running the country into the ground over the last number of years. All too late though as the damage done will be around the necks of decent people for years to come.:mad:

PS - I would lobby the likes of Gormley to make sure Smyth delivers on his promises of extra money for farmers who sign up for any new environmental schemes:)

Birdnuts wrote: »

PS - I would lobby the likes of Gormley to make sure Smyth delivers on his promises of extra money for farmers who sign up for any new environmental schemes:)

Unfortunately it looks like there won't be any new environmental schemes that will encourage people to stay in farming. So there isn't much point in lobbying Gormley. I think he should be turfed out along with the rest of them, but I really don't know who I'd like to see in their place. Anyway, its not a political forum, so sorry for mixing it.

The schemes that are talked about are grants for storage tanks to collect rainwater - who will need a grant like this if people get out of farming????
    We won't even need the sheds that we built with the last FWMS.

The thing about Farming is that we did not benefit from the building boom, we saw little or no income increase - a large number of incomes decreased over the last 20 years.
    Yet the government bailed out the banks to the tune of 7 billion - with more to come. The banks funded the builders who lined their pockets and weren't worried even if their companies went bankrupt.

One house builder beside me featured on the Irish Independent last week for where he took deposits and never built the houses and is now bankrupt owing 147 million euro.

He has a line of 4 ferarri's outside his mansion. Only recently he purchased his newest car.
    €147 million he owes to the banks.

Its a discrace that the farmer has to pay for these gangsters.

reilig wrote: »

One house builder beside me featured on the Irish Independent last week for where he took deposits and never built the houses and is now bankrupt owing 147 million euro.

He has a line of 4 ferarri's outside his mansion. Only recently he purchased his newest car.
    €147 million he owes to the banks.

Its a discrace that the farmer has to pay for these gangsters.

Name and Shame - http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=2586&action=newsdetails - :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 alphamale 1

Fees are not available on Net as far as I know.

This week has been a devasting blow for approximately 32, 000 farmers who are in REPS 3. This decision to close REPS 4 is a spineless decision along with cutting the Disadvanaged Areas Payment by Dept of Finance and DAFF.

Some of the comments seems unfairly negative as the REPS scheme has been the lifeline towards the farming community in disadvantaged areas along with improving the appearance of farmyards along with all of the new hedgerows that were planted. This scheme is co/funded by EU and the iRish governement by 55/45 %. The amount of VAT alone that this scheme was generating was massive along through farmers purchasing stakes and wire for fencing, gates, paint for sheds, upgrading farm buildings and slurry storage facilities.

I have heard of cases of farmers who are in serious financial problems and this is just another blow to Irish Farmers>

Also I know a planner who was going letting two planners go today and add to the > 415 K on the dole and this Govt is saying they are trying to create employment? The IFA should give a mandate to its members to votr NO to Lisbon 2

Shame on you MINISTER SMYTH. THE IFA NEED TO STAND UP AND SHOW THEIR STEEL AND LETS HEAR THEIR VOICE

This week has been the final nail in the cofin for Irish Farmers.

I know one farmer who has only recived € 500 so far this year from his Co-op for his milk supplies and the majority of that payment has gone on a 4 months ESB bill. The situation is seriously worrying for any farmer who invested heavily in the FWM and FIS scheme.

I know one farmer who owes 135 k to the bank and has a mortgage and is losing 6c/l on his milk supply. Where to for him now?

Fianna Fail are the scum of the earth and Minster SMYTH is a sneaky sneaky man who cannot be trusted

Look- the IFA, the ICMSA and the other organisations need to get their arses into gear.

Ignore the current REPS mess, and the proposals concerning the FWM scheme- the big problem is that direct payments have been used as a prop to the allow the likes of Tesco, Centra and the other chains- demand farmers supply goods at below production cost to them.

Current rate from NCF is 15.5c a litre for milk. Current price of 2 litres of milk in Centra is 1.49. Difference is 59c a litre. Where is this 59c going?

These are the sorts of questions we need to be asking and demanding a reasonable price for the high quality produce that Irish farmers are known world over for producing.

Government expenditure is being chopped left right and centre- REPS is the thin edge of the wedge in agriculture- but you can be damn sure there are other nasties in the pipeline.

The Irish consumer is being raped by grocery chains. The Irish farmer is being robbed by them.

Irish farmers should not have to rely on direct payments to keep their heads above water. Direct payments are going straight into the pockets of the shareholders of Tesco and other chains- not into improving conditions for farmers. Holding a couple of civilised protests outside Tesco HQ and at the Centra AGM- is not cutting it. Solid proposals to restore the balance of power to producers and processors- are urgently needed.

Do we want the situation that exists in swathes of the South East in England- where Tesco have to sell Polish milk- because they've driven all the local suppliers out of business?

We need action- now.

I know the IFA are plannig a demostration in the North west tomorrow from what i heard.

Farming is becoming an expensive hobby. Its time that the processors start playing ball.

The government will be taken down i think within 6 months. No way it will survivve board snip, lisbon 2, next budget,

I heard there is to be a protest in Killarney at 3PM tomorrow about but am not 100% confirmed. I am in 1 mind whether to go to the Longford match or protest this.

PROTEST happening in Ballina i think from what i heard at 12 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

PROTEST happening in Ballina i think from what i heard at 12 pm

I don't have much time for FG eithier but I agree with Michael Ring about encouraging farmers to form a cavelcade of tractors to cause chaos in Dublin next week to highlight this issue - to quote the Mayo TD "the country is destroyed anyway":pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement