Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damn you DELL

• 08-07-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭

So I was securing my workgroup with a WPA2-Personal key. But I guess thats vista Wolfsbane. Because when it wakes from sleep it doesnt wanna connect. So simple: dont let windows sleep.

I then discovered Dell (or Vista. Or whatever) by default picks the Dell Reccomended Power Plan - even on Desktops. Meaning most PC users probably dont get all of the power out of their CPUs, given that the power plan settings are hidden on desktop PCs.

Damn them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

So... (let me get this correct)... You're blaming dell because they have the computer in a power saving mode by default and they don't show the power icon on desktops? Power plans change times of display/sleep.... They don't affect cpu "power" but infact by putting the computer to sleep they probably help save the life of it and overall help save a lot of electricity which is good for the environment and peoples pockets.... so your point is that dell is bad right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

WPA2 seems to work on my brother, sister and mum's laptops and they're all running vista. I've had no complaints about it. Also power settings in vista don't affect things like cpu speed as far as I know. Things like speedstep (for intels) and amd cool and quiet affect the cpu speed when the computer is idle. When you start pushing the cpu again they'll kick it in to full wack. These can be disabled in the bios but most oems would enable them by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

wolfric wrote: »
    So... (let me get this correct)... You're blaming dell because they have the computer in a power saving mode by default and they don't show the power icon on desktops? Power plans change times of display/sleep.... They don't affect cpu "power" but infact by putting the computer to sleep they probably help save the life of it and overall help save a lot of electricity which is good for the environment and peoples pockets.... so your point is that dell is bad right?

power saving on vista can lower the cpu speed either with the built in vista settings or oem software.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

power saving on vista can lower the cpu speed either with the built in vista settings or oem software.

It is Cool and Quiet (AMD) or SpeedStep (Intel)that does the actual throttling not Vista. But it is configurable through Power Management in Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Doubt You get a speedstep option in the bios of a Dell, they don't like giving You too many options

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Doubt You get a speedstep option in the bios of a Dell, they don't like giving You too many options

There must be something below the OS level doing the downclocking though? Maybe just not the option to turn it off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Overheal wrote: »
    I then discovered Dell (or Vista. Or whatever) by default picks the Dell Reccomended Power Plan - even on Desktops. Meaning most PC users probably dont get all of the power out of their CPUs, given that the power plan settings are hidden on desktop PCs.

Most Manufacturers actually do this my HP had that as default too called the "HP Recommended Power Plan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Most Manufacturers actually do this my HP had that as default too called the "HP Recommended Power Plan".
    The very same.

Having a lookback now. Comparing it to my lappy. Desktop Advanced plan settings doesnt include options for CPU power management like the laptop plan settings do. So maybe its nothing. idk.

Advertisement