Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geek wanted

• 08-07-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

I would like to get flash trigger (release) operated by microphone and possibly with a delay function. There are few DIY tutorials online, however I don't feel like going back that route again.
    If anybody could build that, I'd be happy to cover at least material.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ah would be interested in this myself. Some bursting water-baloon shots?! Wouldn't have time for a DIY project until mid August though.

By the way if you wanted to simplify your brief a bit, and you're using really really short delays, varing the distance from the mic to the sound-source would suffice as a delay function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

This sounds extremely interesting to me too. Can you link some sites that detail DIY projects like this? Depending on what's involved it might be something I could do (with help of a friend).

Some links worth a read;

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=167078

http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/sound_trigger/

http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_sound_trigger_for_sigma_ef_500_flash

Actually you can buy the circuit part of it here for $12:
    http://www.hiviz.com/kits/sk2.htm

Some guy bought that kit and ended up taking this shot, so it does work;
    Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_665064.jpg

If any of you are thinking of ordering it I'd be interested too but don't have cc or paypal so could post you payment and SAE! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would be very interested in this, might buy that kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Yeah, I think that kit might be something worth looking into. Nice to see someone has done all the donkey work for us!

• Advertisement

Oh didn't see this first time - the sound trigger kit bundled with the delay unit kit for €18: http://www.hiviz.com/kits/sk2-du.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like postage would cost $16.50
    I think I have all the parts to put together one of the basic circuits, will have a look tomorrow and see how far I get with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That'd be brilliant. I definitely want at least one. I was thinking even about two for firing two independent flashguns to provide two exposures, but that might be a little overkill.
    I have few ideas on my mind and if Ghost Train could build that, I would be happy to collect and pay in cash. Plus pint on next boards meet ;-)

Will have a look at this later if I get the chance

If I get something that works then you'd be welcome to it ThOnda

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

If Goast Train has no luck with this ,I'll build it if you order it ThOnda ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

it comes built.

Tallon wrote: »
    it comes built.

don't think it does, but there are pretty detailed instructions

got a circuit working yesterday, no time delay though, not sure how much would be needed, not too much use direct on my camera because of the shutter delay, guess you really need it on a flash.

still need to tidy the circuit up and put it together properly, but should get a chance to do that at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I want it purely for flash. If there is possibility to have longer wire to microphone or to the flash contact (to allow analogue delay), that would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Would one of these be suitable for photographing water drops?

ThOnda wrote: »
    I want it purely for flash. If there is possibility to have longer wire to microphone or to the flash contact (to allow analogue delay), that would be fantastic.

I suppose so, not sure if the sensor is would pick up a noise from too far away though, but not sure. What length would you suggest? Is the flash trigger socket the same as camera trigger connection?

TJM wrote: »
    Would one of these be suitable for photographing water drops?

mightn't make enough noise to trigger the circuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Has anyone had any success with this? Any kits ordered? I've been planning to do one of these - the sister's gone into an electronics shop with the parts list on the hiviz instructions sheet - some confusion, but I hope we can get around that...

So - anyone built one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Dunno if I should resurrect this thread, it's a bit of a zombie at this stage. I hadn't realised it is so long since I saw it! We built one of the hiviz kits earlier on this year, and found it relatively straightforward to put together (we had to think through a couple of problems but got through it well enough) and it worked quite well. You can dial up the sensitivity too, which can help, but if you wanted it sensitive enough to flash at drops you'd find it flashed at almost anything!

Of course you have to have the camera on Bulb, then the flash will expose the image once the sound is detected.

Sorry again to mods etc. if I'm digging it up, but as I'd asked a question in the thread and found the answer myself I thought it'd be useful.

Pren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Have you tried it with a drop? Would be very quiet sound I'd imagine.

How'd you make the connection between the trigger and the camera?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

foto joe wrote: »

How'd you make the connection between the trigger and the camera?

i'd imagine it connects to the flash not the camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have used one for a visitor centre attraction in the croke park gaa museum

although the one is used was a ready made one.

http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/sound.html

they can tune them to different frequencies etc

Advertisement