Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for under stairs cupboard structural advice

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

please see the pic attached,
    try to ignore the swarm covered person.
    pic was taken 3 years ago when house was being built, so house is fully furnished and fitted.

the pic attached has an area circled in red.
    there are two arrows pointing to beams which run from floor to ceiling.
    i am looking to add an understairs cupboard.
    the enterance ( door ) will be on the corner of this wall, hence the removal of the beams are required.
    due to placing of cupboards and radiator this is really the only access point to under the stairs.

the door height would go to a maximum height of the blue line.
    i am looking to put doors in around the corner, so 2 doors are required.

my question is or the advice i am looking for is,

Can i remove the two beams shown
    or are these beams supporting beams and thus not movable.
    or could i just move them slightly to the right.

thanks for your help in advance.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

before answering the question, can u clarify what the purpose of the timbers that look like battens on the underside of the first floor joists. They seem to the offset a bit when one ends and the next one starts? Is it to create space for the services and avoid drilling the floor joist?

If so: It looks to me that the first floor ceiling joists span right across the picture from left to right and therefore the stud partition in question is non structural and therefore can be moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Imo your taking a great risk relying on boards for this type of answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Carlow52 wrote: »
    before answering the question, can u clarify what the purpose of the timbers that look like battens on the underside of the first floor joists. They seem to the offset a bit when one ends and the next one starts? Is it to create space for the services and avoid drilling the floor joist?

your spot on there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Imo your taking a great risk relying on boards for this type of answer!

im just looking for advice,
    nothing more, just want to get it set in my mind what i need, or how im going to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

uprights that are doubled up like that i reckon are for support.

so i really would not fiddle with them unless you were able to reinforce it somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

can you come from the other side of the stair ? is that support on the other side also?

A vertical support member is not called a beam.

i think you should seek some professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Your stud wall is not supporting the first floor,as you can see it is 2-3" short in height.The supporting wall is the one slabed. Your builder should have a set of drawings that show each section as made and every support in the house.

Advertisement