Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perfume scam in tescos car park

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard anything about this. I have just been sent one of those warning text messages.

Seemingly you are asked to smell a perfume but it knocks you out. Hence you could be robbed or worse.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    has anyone heard anything about this. I have just been sent one of those warning text messages.

Seemingly you are asked to smell a perfume but it knocks you out. Hence you could be robbed or worse.

i havent heard anything, but hope it's not true , theres enough crap going with robberies etc lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

No, haven't heard about this one yet! But as Tesco is only open during day now, surely someone would spot a guy/girl smelling something in Car Park and passing out no?? :confused:
    Its a busy spot, so i'd wonder how true that is to be honest. But can never rule it out, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

exactly my point. As a scam it would be very easily done, but in tescos car park.
    Maybe the drug makes them disorientated, rather than knocks them out.

I might ring garda station to find out if any truth in it.

patrickc wrote: »
    i havent heard anything, but hope it's not true , theres enough crap going with robberies etc lately

They caught the guy doing all the robberies, 10ish since last sat might.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

yes i heard about this also, supposed to have happened out in the carpark beside the womans car or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I really doubt that's true.
    Just another one of those chain texts to try and frighten people

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

SV wrote: »
    I really doubt that's true.
    This is probably true thought

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

So... Don't buy perfume from somebody in a car park, beside a pile of unconscious shoppers... ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

They caught the guy doing all the robberies, 10ish since last sat might.

thats good they were caught

the perfume thing sounds like something from the 1800's

you there ma' lady , wanna try some "parfume"

oh why kind sir yes

*bump as she hits the ground*

(think i forgot to take the little pink tablets this morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

SV wrote: »

Maybe the text is a scam, so, when you're reading it they're nicking your wallet from your pocket!! :eek: Have you thought about that?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

its done the rounds before that one

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I laughed anyway :p So much wrong with the idea it doesn't even begin to make sense and then the boyos at Snopes confirmed my suspicion.

Chain mail -- never believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Maybe the text is a scam, so, when you're reading it they're nicking your wallet from your pocket!! :eek: Have you thought about that?! :p

Or the text costs a tenner to receive :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clozo

last week I heard that a girl was in a sainsburys car park and a man asked her to try some cheap perfume- half price. she seen no harm in trying it but it wasnt perfume she was instanly knocked out by it so he took her to an aley way and assaulted her and robbed her. so please warn as many people as you can about this scam so it will not happen to anyone else.

clozo wrote: »
    last week I heard that a girl was in a sainsburys car park and a man asked her to try some cheap perfume- half price. she seen no harm in trying it but it wasnt perfume she was instanly knocked out by it so he took her to an aley way and assaulted her and robbed her. so please warn as many people as you can about this scam so it will not happen to anyone else.

strange first post to make in the carlow forum, any links to paper articles or anything re this?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I was just wondering if anyone in Carlow or surrounding area got a call yesterday or today from any of the banks saying that their laser or credit cards have been compromised?

As I know of 5 people including myself that got phone calls from their bank saying that they should cancel their cards as they have been compromised. Nothing has gone through my card, so how exactly they have been comprised I’m not sure, the credit card fraud centre couldn’t say much to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

car wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I was just wondering if anyone in Carlow or surrounding area got a call yesterday or today from any of the banks saying that their laser or credit cards have been compromised?

As I know of 5 people including myself that got phone calls from their bank saying that they should cancel their cards as they have been compromised. Nothing has gone through my card, so how exactly they have been comprised I’m not sure, the credit card fraud centre couldn’t say much to me.
    got a call from indian call centre doing research for mbna bank, they used an automatic number generating thingy to get my number:eek:

all i can post here is that my response was short and impolite:p

and getting back to the perfume scam it is far more likely that some person will pick your wallet or purse while they are telling you about the great deal they can give you on the perfume as if they tried to knock you out with anything like ether the whole of tesco's would notice as being knocked out with ether is not a pretty sight. the answer is to tell strangers that approach you in the carpark when your kids are screaming and your trying to get half the store into your car that you have no money left:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Romours like this shouldn't be sniffed at...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Romours like this shouldn't be sniffed at...

Aye, but it smells a bit dodgy to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Not to mention that getting your hands on aerosols that knock people out are very rare and hard to get your hands on. Would be more profitable for these people to sell the "perfume" than rob people haha - if they were real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Tom10 wrote: »
    Not to mention that getting your hands on aerosols that knock people out are very rare and hard to get your hands on.
    If there was a "raise eyebrow" smiley I'd be using it right now:pac:

The whole idea sounds rediculous tbh, in this day & age I can't see too many people buying perfume off some dodgy bloke offering you a sniff outside of tesco's, well maybe these two might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been doing the rounds in Sligo as well..

.. thought of Snopes immediately when I heard it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Also appeared in Waterford.. jesus these master criminals are hard at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

car wrote: »

This happened to myslef and a mate in galway bout a year ago. Usually they have found an atm tampered with and run thru all records of who used it that day and cancel cards as a precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

clozo wrote: »

The perfume story appears in a game called Urban Myth which was sold in certain gift store that the mods won't let me mention:p

It is a myth and there is no truth to it whatsoever. Its been going around since the seventies and its always "a friend's friend" that was the victim.

To this day, no one has ever been able to confirm a single case of this type of crime anywhere in the world. - Not even in America!

Also, it is virtually impossible to create a substance that would knock someone out immediately from a whiff (despite what is seen in movies) and if someone had invented it, then they'd earn a hell of a lot more from working in the pharmaceutical field than taking handbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

this was around a few years back as well. either Im old or the rest of ye's have short memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Its probably POPPERS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:D

• Advertisement

Would there not be loads of stuff that could knock you out though from sniffing- ether for example.

Advertisement