Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying off the boats...

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I work in a shop in Dublin that sells fish and was interested in getting the fish off the boats rather then through wholesalers to make it fresher. Does anyone know if your able to buy the fish off the boats in Howth anymore or is that from an era long gone???

If not is there any other places we could at least buy some of our fish from, with in a reasonable distance from Dublin.

If so, what time do you have to go down at? and is it much cheaper. Obviously it's much fresher and that's the main thing really

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Most boats have made deals to sell on to the fishbuyers...get in contact with them I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Your best bet is the corporation fish market in smithfeild, get there really early haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think you can still buy fish from the boats from the Coal Quay in Dun Laoghaire early in the morning (the old Ice House). Also, I've seen hand written signs for Lobster and crab for sale, near the jetty beside Dalkey Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are talking about a few Boxes, then I am sure the skipper will deal, if it's just a few fish then forget it, it is too much hassle.
    Go to a fish auction and see what boats are landing good quality fish, make a note of their names and ask them directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is a crazy old french guy how uses single lines and catches a good amount of Sea bass, monk fish and mullett, he supplies Thorntons and a few other places, delivers the fish still alive 9 times out of 10.

While filleting a bass one morning I sliced open the belly, pulled out the innards and out pops a baby monk fish, intact, still alive, was fúcking crazy!

If I remember his name I'll post it up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Seaneh wrote: »
    There is a crazy old french guy how uses single lines and catches a good amount of Sea bass, monk fish and mullett, he supplies Thorntons and a few other places, delivers the fish still alive 9 times out of 10.

While filleting a bass one morning I sliced open the belly, pulled out the innards and out pops a baby monk fish, intact, still alive, was fúcking crazy!

If I remember his name I'll post it up...

You know it is illegal to sell or buy wild sea bass here in Ireland.
    Just be warned the fisheries boards check from time to time.

Advertisement