Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with router and oping ports

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

hi iv got a cisco epc2425 router from upc and im trying to open the ports on it but it keeps telling mr iv the wrong ip if anyone could help me it would be great cheers as im lost on these routers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Usually portforward.com would show you how to open the ports but I don't see your model number on it. You could type in ipconfig in the run command window and take down the details of IP and DNS etc. and follow the guide for the other cisco routers mentioned. If that fails then just go back to obtain IP address auto settings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

im not really with you if u could give me a link to a good guide or something it would be great cheers really lost on all this rouiter stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

what are you trying to port forward? ps3 / xbox / skype?

What you could do is make sure UPnP is switched on in your router, and let the application/device that needs ports forwarded open the ports themself...

ye i think thats done it Dardania cheers mate

good stuff! It's usually easier just to let these things off, and go about their thing themselves...

Just be aware that with UPnP active, any application that runs on any pc in your network can open ports...so make sure all your anti-virus etc. is up to date to stop your pc turning into a botnet!

D

• Advertisement

so can i not just turn off the upun now that the port is open

doing that will close the port again...
    as long as your av is up-to-date and you use the internet sensibly you should be fine!

Advertisement