Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixing in mono??

Options
  • 09-07-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

recently came across this article
    http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/blog/?p=123

wondering if its anythng you lot have tried.using one monitor seems like a strange concept.

i was also a bit miffed as i thought ableton didnt have mono channels but i could be wrong on that.

so is there definite advantages to using these methods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'd ask that in the MP forum as they have probably seen/used/heard of this technique.

I'd say that for most the stereo mix that this doesn't make sense, as not everything is panned to the extreme - everything is spread out 'around the stage' - so wouldn't give accurate level guidance, but just another angle on what's going on in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

"Why only one speaker when both speakers are sending out the same output? Because you don’t want the extra sound bouncing of walls or getting to your ears at different times depending on your location in the studio. "

The above sentence seem like a load of waffle to me.
    2 speakers mono is simple and efficient.

However there are strong arguments for mix checking in mono especially with tracks with a lot of stereo FX .

What may be wide and dynamic in stereo can be weak and stagnant in mono.

Club PAs may not necessarily be stereo either so you need to be aware how being in Mono will impact on your tracks.

Yep, seems a bit washy - and as for club mixing the MS processing should deal with keeping the main elements (bass drum, bass & lead) in the center.

There are tools for dealing with both mono and stereo out there... don't know if the modern desks have all that malarkey built in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    "Why only one speaker when both speakers are sending out the same output? Because you don’t want the extra sound bouncing of walls or getting to your ears at different times depending on your location in the studio. "

The above sentence seem like a load of waffle to me.
    2 speakers mono is simple and efficient.
    It's kind of right actually. Dual speaker mono still gives you a phantom centre, which negates the main reason to monitor in mono. Single speaker mono will show you clearly if your phantom centre material (vocals, bass etc.) is at the right level. If it's wrong, that usually means your speakers are the wrong distance apart, and/ or you're being fooled by (some of) the room reflections. Commonly, speakers are too far apart, so phantom is too loud.

In BBC studios they have a switch on the monitor system to sum stereo to one speaker mono.

madtheory wrote: »
    It's kind of right actually. .

So that's kind of wrong too, yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

so if i wanted to check my mix in mono,whats the easiest way to do this

What way do you monitor Sean?

A lot of Monitor Boxes / Console have a mono button which sums the L+R.

There's a free app from brainworx if your DAW doesn't have the feature.

What way do you monitor Sean?

A lot of Monitor Boxes / Console have a mono button which sums the L+R.
    just straight out of logic into my soundcard and out my monitors.i dont have a mono button on anything unfortunately

ill try neuro's free app now.
    curious to see how my stuff will sound in mono:D

Ah right ....

I dunno then really. Is there a Plug-In you could insert on your Master that will allow you to Mono I wonder ?

• Advertisement

Ah right ....

I dunno then really. Is there a Plug-In you could insert on your Master that will allow you to Mono I wonder ?

That's very cool isn't it? If it works with Logic you're sorted Sean.

That's very cool isn't it? If it works with Logic you're sorted Sean.
    yeah its working grand in logic.
    i checked my mix with it,using one speaker.everything seemed okay,one of the synths did seem a bit thinner once i had it on mono.

its pretty cpu heavy that little plug:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Neurojazz wrote: »

I love that little yoke.

Use all the time.. Gives a good perspective. Really handy.

Hope they keep updating it when Snow Leopard for Mac comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

hold on, doesn't that brainworx plug phase correct when needed (that's what it says on their website)?

I could be missing something here but why not just bang Logic's utility plugin on the master (that's what i do for mono checking).

Oh by the way it's worth mentioning, a lot of recent techno and house music sounds very very dodgy in mono (probably due to the prevalence of spreading plugs being used), so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

So that's kind of wrong too, yea?
    Yes. Classic pessimism ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

seannash wrote: »
    recently came across this article
    http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/blog/?p=123

wondering if its anythng you lot have tried.using one monitor seems like a strange concept.

i was also a bit miffed as i thought ableton didnt have mono channels but i could be wrong on that.

so is there definite advantages to using these methods?

You can mono any channel in Ableton with the utilty plugin...

Advertisement