Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo is on fire

• 09-07-2009 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

for Corinthians right now. Just scored a few blinders

the original and the best...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

legs11 wrote: »

for Corinthians right now. Just scored a few blinders

the original and the best...:rolleyes:

i dont get it are you rolling your eyes at your own comment or what? Great to hear Ronaldo V1 is back doing what he does best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Yeah whats' the deal with the roll eyes? You do know people have heard of Ronaldo like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Didn't he go off the boil for a month or three there? After a great start at Corinthians.

Either way, great to see him playing well again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never before has a title promised such an exciting scenario.

I thought somebody had lit a match too close to CR7/9/10's hair-spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Watched him tonight playing with Corinthians. More than anything, it simply depressed me to see him in the condition that he was in. He's even fatter than what he was at Milan and completely unfit. Corinthians lost 3-1, but Ronaldo still created a goal out of a lovely free kick. He also showed the touches of a world class striker, but simply didn't have the legs to chase down anything.

He's 33 now, but if he kept himself in shape, he'd still be playing at the highest level in the Champions League. I suppose he's happy enough sleeping on his bed of riches. Like I said, depressing to see a career finish this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Like I said, depressing to see a career finish this way.

At home in his own country after winning every possible medal available to a footballer.

yeah the bastard why didnt he stay fit and sign for united/pool/chelsea :rolleyes:

sadly this guy who imo is the perfect striker is going to have gimps slating him for his career.

His career which has the perfect record of if he plays in 2 games he will score a goal be it a World Cup,champions league, league match.

I am 34 and in my time he is the best striker i have ever seen play in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    At home in his own country after winning every possible medal available to a footballer.

When did he win the Champions League?

andyman wrote: »
    When did he win the Champions League?

oh right he wasnt with them when they beat bayer. jaysus hes ****e so .

Absolute waster of the highest order.

Absolute waster of the highest order.

Tell me where I said that?

sadly this guy who imo is the perfect striker is going to have gimps slating him for his career.
    So I'm a gimp for being sad because Ronaldo has clearly not played up to the best of his potential?

Henrik Larsson changed the Champions League final for Barcelona when he was 35 and created a goal that won them the final.

As good as Larsson is, Ronaldo is a much beter striker, but yet at 33 he's finished. That's why I am sad. He clearly should have claimed the greatest honour in the world (Champions League).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

So I'm a gimp for being sad because Ronaldo has clearly not played up to the best of his potential?

Henrik Larsson changed the Champions League final for Barcelona when he was 35 and created a goal that won them the final.

As good as Larsson is, Ronaldo is a much beter striker, but yet at 33 he's finished. That's why I am sad. He clearly should have claimed the greatest honour in the world (Champions League).

world cup???

World cup is the greatest honour in football.

Larrson wasted his career until he signed for united/Barca or are we forgetting that as it suits? FFS he scored vs St Pats in the CL qualifiers after playing for Feyenoord and Celtic. And now where is Larrson the great playing? he scored 2 in his last 2 games for his club.

Larrson another bastard for finishing his career at home with 45 league titles with celtic and CL medal with barca. Didnt even get a medal with united....woeful tbh :rolleyes:

Jesus comparing Larrson to ronaldo is funny tho :D

glanman wrote: »
    world cup???
    Sorry, but the Champions League is the greatest competition in the world. The Barcelona team of today would destroy the Italian team that won the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Sorry, but the Champions League is the greatest competition in the world. The Barcelona team of today would destroy the Italian team that won the World Cup.

the highest honour in the world is to win the world cup though. it doesn't matter if the who has a better team - club or country etc. playing with your compatriots for your country in front of your countries fans in the World Cup Final not to mind winning it must be mind blowing!

ps. if you took that italian team on the form they were in in 2006, i'd say it would be a close match.

Larrson wasted his career until he signed for united/Barca or are we forgetting that as it suits? FFS he scored vs St Pats in the CL qualifiers after playing for Feyenoord and Celtic. And now where is Larrson the great playing? he scored 2 in his last 2 games for his club.

Larrson another bastard for finishing his career at home with 45 league titles with celtic and CL medal with barca. Didnt even get a medal with united....woeful tbh :rolleyes:

You've missed the point, completely :rolleyes:

I have already stated that Ronaldo was a better player. I was merely making the point that Larsson won a Champions League medal two years older than what Ronaldo is now.

Ronaldo should have been better than Pele. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best striker ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Slow day on Boards obv

You really are missing the point here.

The point being made is that Larsson kept himself in top shape and had the determination to keep going until he won the highest honour in club football whereas Ronaldo, although the best striker of my lifetime, let himself go and could have done so much more than he actually did. That's how good he potentially was.

If Ronaldo did what Larsson had done and stayed in top shape, he'd still get into any team in the world and would have a Champions League title under his belt by now. It's a massive shame because he'll be known as probably the best player never to win one.

Nobody is slating Ronaldo at all. At least I'm not anyway. I'm merely pointing out how much of a shame it is to see a talent like that die out so soon.

andyman wrote: »
    Nobody is slating Ronaldo at all. At least I'm not anyway. I'm merely pointing out how much of a shame it is to see a talent like that die out so soon.
    Nail, head.
    ronaldo.jpg

Larrson only became good and rated when he left Celtic, lets be honest he only showed ambition when he left them at the age of 30ish. So bascially he did his career backwards to Ronaldo. Ronaldo did it all by the age of 21 and then football got to him.

regards his talent being wasted he has won everything but the CL and then died on his arse and went home to finsih his career i admire him for that , too much too soon etc:

Worst comparison ever tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Read thread before reply. Read thread before replying.

Larrson only became good and rated when he left Celtic, lets be honest he only showed ambition when he left them at the age of 30ish. So bascially he did his career backwards to Ronaldo. Ronaldo did it all by the age of 21 and then football got to him.

regards his talent being wasted he has won everything but the CL and then died on his arse and went home to finsih his career i admire him for that , too much too soon etc:

Seriously, did you even read anything that either andyman or I wrote?

Larsson is an inferior player to Ronaldo, there is no comparison between either of the two players! The difference between Larsson and Ronaldo was that Larsson was a consumate professional all through his career. If Ronaldo was half as conscientious as Larsson, he would have had two or three Champions League medals, easily.

Ok, if you really think it's a poor example, let's use Thierry Henry as an example, eh?

He won the Champions League for Barcelona last season at the age of 31. He tried and tried at Arsenal and came very close, but after a long and successful career he went to Barcelona and play the best he possibly could to win that Champions League medal that was missing from his honours list. What did he do last season?

Ronaldo, on the other hand, didn't do such a thing, and only a year seperates him and Henry. He let himself go way too early. He could have done so much more than he did and should still be doing it right now. Henry is still doing the business, why couldn't Ronaldo be doing that at Henry's age (this time last season?)

Ronaldo could have been better than Pele, it's that simple. However now, in my opinion, he's not even the best player of my lifetime.

while were making Ronaldo comparisons... for me he is like the Mike Tyson of football. The best in the world, a real phenomenon when he was young but when he got towards the end of his career he turned into a bit of a joke. However because of the undoubted class he had he will always be rememberd as one of the best ever in the game.

while were making Ronaldo comparisons... for me he is like the Mike Tyson of football. The best in the world, a real phenomenon when he was young but when he got towards the end of his career he turned into a bit of a joke. However because of the undoubted class he had he will always be rememberd as one of the best ever in the game.
    Maybe it's a Brazilian thing.

I still remember Ronaldinho in 2005. He single-handedly turned Barcelona into a European force. Nowadays, he'd probably make a Hull team.

Maybe it's a Brazilian thing.

I still remember Ronaldinho in 2005. He single-handedly turned Barcelona into a European force. Nowadays, he'd probably make a Hull team.

not to mention former most expensive player in the World Denilson (now 32) who has already had 2 clubs this year for whom he only made 1 appearance and that for a Viatnamese side. Bolton and a Danish club also declined signing him in the past year.

Have a feeling it could end up being the same (maybe not with the viatnemese bit) with Adriano formerly of Inter... wasted Brazillian talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Have a feeling it could end up being the same (maybe not with the viatnemese bit) with Adriano formerly of Inter... wasted Brazillian talent

he'll still be the best player in Pro Evo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

my absolute hero of a striker, i loved watching him play and i was one of those who gave the man the standing ovation he deserved after he showed us a goalscoring masterclass at old trafford, also where people said he was fat but he would leave defenders for dead in a sprint!

with phrases such as waste of talent and let himself go early and the like i feel its prudent to remind people of the shocking injuries which took their toll on his career! the simple fact that he has made so many comebacks from career ending injuries makes it no disgrace to see him playing football at any level!

he was diagnosed with a glandular problem or something like that at Milan which was being blamed for his weight gain, but regardless of that, up until his last big injury, just after he made a return to the milan team, from injury, he was still scoring goals at a great rate, he did it every where he went and he has nothing to prove to anyone in world football

far from it being a sad way to see his career end it is actually great to see that he is still playing the game at all imo

the saddest part of the Ronaldo story is that injuries robbed the world of what he could have been

heres a recent pic of him doing what he does best, he doesnt look too bad to me and most importantly he has a smile on his face!

tried to embed it but its late and i cant be arsed trying to figure it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why is not winning a CL medal being used as a criticism?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why is not winning a CL medal being used as a criticism?

Because he should have won several.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Best striker ever.

many would argue that, personally i don't think anyone will ever touch Ferenc Puskás, 84 goals for hungary in 85 games, 157 goals for real in 182 games (he was 31 when he joined real), 165 goals in 164 games for honved, 187 goals in 177 games for Kispest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus Christ it's like banging your head against a brick wall with this guy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I think some people are forgetting about all the horrible injuries the guy has had aswell. It just wasnt a case of him getting fat & lazy & not giving a sh!t any more. ANd if he didnt have them injuries I think he would be the best player in the world at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It sickens me to see people criticize Ronaldo.

What a lot of people fail to recognise is that Ronaldo, before his injury at Inter, was a super-slim lightning fast footballer. Faster than the likes of Henry, Owen, Cristiano Ronaldo etc. His game was all about outpacing his markers, and tricking them with his sublime technique. After 18 months out with a knee ligament injury, he had to completely revamp his game because the injury just wouldnt allow him to be as fast as he was. So he bulked up and developed a whole new way of playing the game based and power and strength.

Cristiano Ronaldo was lauded as one of the best players of all time after one 42 goal season....

At 17, Ronaldo scored 45 goals in one season (49 games) for Cruzeiro.
    At 18/19, he scored 55 goals in 57 games for PSV over two seasons.
    At 20, he scored 47 goals in 49 games for Barcelona in one season.
    At 21, he scored 34 goals in 47 games for Inter.
    During the following season, with 18 goals already accumulated, he got injured for 18 months.
    Comes back to score 7 goals in 16 games at the end of the following season.
    He's now had to develop a new way of approaching the game.
    Over 5 seasons at Madrid, he scores 104 goals in 177 matches. A phenomenal return.
    He then moves to Milan, where the narrow minded say "he's fat and lost it", when in truth he is tormented by injury and still has a record of a goal every 2 games.

Thats 319 goals in 451 games at club level, and I havent even mentioned his 62 goals in 97 matches at international level. Or 6 goals in 8 games at u23 International level. Thats 387 goals in 556 matches.

Throw in the fact he has two World Cup medals - and dont give me the "Oh anyone would have them in that Brazil team". He didnt just coast along with them, he got those three World Cup medals while finishing top scorer, best overall player, getting into the team of the tournament twice, and not to mention being the leading World Cup scorer of all time. And World Player of the Year THREE times. And theres a list of personal accolades, trophies and medals as long as Peter ****ing Crouch that I havent mentioned.

Since moving to Corinthians, he has 15 goals in 20 games and is still pushing to be recalled to the national squad for the next World Cup. Its laughable that people say he's lost it, because despite injury after injury and having to complete remodel his game, he has never stopped his amazing goal scoring record. Its not a case of "form is temporary, class is permanent" because with Ronaldo, both his form and class have been permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

What Archimedes said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Ronaldo is my favourite footballer of them all. He was the one you wanted to be like growing up, i'll never forget watching him at the wc 98 with his superhuman speed and skill taking brazil to the final and playing a big part winning it in 02. It is impossible to criticise him, nice to see hes still producing the magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When I read the thread title, I thought Ronaldo was literally on fire. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The Ronaldo in fullpace running with the ball was absolutely immense. Cannot imagine what it was like to have him running flat out towards you and then the trademark shuffle or drop of the shoulder and bang...hes left you for dust....in his Barca and Inter days the amount of goals like that he scored was incredible.

I would have loved to have seen him play live :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Where the people think he ranks at the moment with the best players in the world. Would he make the top 100/50 or even top 30 players in the world at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Archimedes wrote: »

What a lot of people fail to recognise is that Ronaldo, before his injury at Inter, was a super-slim lightning fast footballer. Faster than the likes of Henry, Owen, Cristiano Ronaldo etc. His game was all about outpacing his markers, and tricking them with his sublime technique. After 18 months out with a knee ligament injury, he had to completely revamp his game because the injury just wouldnt allow him to be as fast as he was. So he bulked up and developed a whole new way of playing the game based and power and strength.

Cristiano Ronaldo was lauded as one of the best players of all time after one 42 goal season....

During the following season, with 18 goals already accumulated, he got injured for 18 months.
    Over 5 seasons at Madrid, he scores 104 goals in 177 matches. A phenomenal return.
    He then moves to Milan, where the narrow minded say "he's fat and lost it", when in truth he is tormented by injury and still has a record of a goal every 2 games.

Thats 319 goals in 451 games at club level, and I havent even mentioned his 62 goals in 97 matches at international level. Or 6 goals in 8 games at u23 International level. Thats 387 goals in 556 matches.

Throw in the fact he has two World Cup medals - and dont give me the "Oh anyone would have them in that Brazil team". He didnt just coast along with them, he got those three World Cup medals while finishing top scorer, best overall player, getting into the team of the tournament twice, and not to mention being the leading World Cup scorer of all time. And World Player of the Year THREE times. And theres a list of personal accolades, trophies and medals as long as Peter ****ing Crouch that I havent mentioned.

Since moving to Corinthians, he has 15 goals in 20 games and is still pushing to be recalled to the national squad for the next World Cup. Its laughable that people say he's lost it, because despite injury after injury and having to complete remodel his game, he has never stopped his amazing goal scoring record. Its not a case of "form is temporary, class is permanent" because with Ronaldo, both his form and class have been permanent.

Say's it all. Well put. Close thread now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

tdv wrote: »
    Where the people think he ranks at the moment with the best players in the world. Would he make the top 100/50 or even top 30 players in the world at the moment?

I think it's impossible to rank players in poorer leagues against those in the big European ones. I'm an Ajax supporter and I constantly struggle trying to tell people who ask what such and such a player is like and how they'd fare in the Premier League for example.

I mean I think I know my football pretty well, but it really is difficult to rank players playing in poorer leagues. I watched Andy van der Meyde and Ryan Babel in recent years look like the best wingers ever in recent years. I also was apprehensive about Tommy Vermaelen stepping up to a faster tempo with more physicality but he's been as dominant at Arsenal as he was for us.

And I could say the same of Ronaldo if I watched him regularly. Since there's talk of a Brazil callup, he must be in the top 10 Brazilian strikers anywhere right now. But to ask to rank him in terms of the best players around right now would be very difficult because of the league he plays in.

Still a player I'd love to sign in a heartbeat....especially with the Brazilian kid Kerlon on the fringes.

i should have posted that last week :D

great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He's probably my favourite player ever (if you ignored biases towards Irish and United players).

I think a lot of people resent the knee injury in a way, because it did change him. He was and is astonishing, but still, I think he could have been a bit better.

Absolute hero though, and I'm gutted that if I was in Brazil last summer rather than the one before I could have seen him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Absolute hero though, and I'm gutted that if I was in Brazil last summer rather than the one before I could have seen him play.

Imagine having been there for his first goal. Into injury time, Corinthians were 1-0 and he pops up with the equaliser.

Ran over to the fans who went crazy and broke down a barrier. Ronaldo broke down in tears, finally being back after yet another potentially career ending injury and all the torment he had been through. F*ck United winning the Champions League or anything like that, it was the simple most emotional thing Ive ever seen on a football pitch and my favourite footballing moment of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Imagine having been there for his first goal. Into injury time, Corinthians were 1-0 and he pops up with the equaliser.

Ran over to the fans who went crazy and broke down a barrier. Ronaldo broke down in tears, finally being back after yet another potentially career ending injury and all the torment he had been through. F*ck United winning the Champions League or anything like that, it was the simple most emotional thing Ive ever seen on a football pitch and my favourite footballing moment of all time.

i think it you say it!! oh man thanks for posting up the clip, i remember seeing it for the first time thinkin, if i was his manager id be cracking! wouldnt want him to be hurdling and climbing up fences with his injury history! :)

great moment in football, any real football fan has to appreciate it i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Great post but where did you get the stats from? I think they could be a little wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Totally reckless and unacceptable behaviour from a sports star, endangering so many lives like that! Ha ;)

I love the way the reporters chase after him with the microphones trying to get an interview. :D

Great post Archi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Don't know if it was posted already but Buffon had a nice little quote about the real Ronaldo a few months ago.
    Legendary Brazilian striker Ronaldo is better than Barcelona hitman Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.

Buffon, who was asked to name the best player he had ever faced during his career, chose Ronaldo over his former Juve team-mate.

The former Parma shot-stopper believes that Ronaldo could have become the greatest of all time, and hailed the career of the Corinthians hitman.

"Ibrahimovic? Bah, Ronaldo has won two World Cups and he was top scorer during three World Cups," Buffon told GQ magazine.

"Ronaldo used to win games by himself, both hard and easy fixtures. The real Ronaldo has always been a champion for me.

"He will always be remembered among the greatest, but he could have been better than anyone, including Pele and Maradona."

Link

I always loved real Ronaldo, even when he was putting United to the sword, scoring a hat-trick. To which I believe, Old Trafford applauded him at the end.

Highlights.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just echoing what others have said really. Huge fan of Ronaldos ever since the world cups as I wasn't really aware of him in Spain & Italy.

Probably my favourite player ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement