Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF North dudes - Where you at?

• 09-07-2009 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! As the title suggests, I'm looking for the northern gamers. I actually live in Donegal but much prefer traveling to somewhere in the north rather than having to travel for 4 hours to Dublin.

So, where do you dudes hang out when you're in your alter egos and where do you meet up in your disguises? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

QUB Dragonslayers

We meet up in the QUB Students Union twice a week. Tuesday is the main meet while Saturday is much smaller. Since I was not up this Tuesday I am unsure of what the arrangements for the 12th are. On Tuesday the 14th there is no meet, but I do not know about Saturday the 11th atm. There is an annual membership fee of £10, but that covers you for a whole year.

Tuesday Meet
    Time: 1730 - 2230

Saturday Meet
    Time: 1200 - 1800

Here is a <map of the train stations, bus stations and the SU>. If you are busing it up you will be arriving at the Europa. You should get the madien city flier from Derry to Belfast, its quicker and runs more frequently than the train. From there you can take a short walk up or grab one of the buses from City Hall. However from the Europa its just a straight walk that will take 10 minutes, so I would reccomend going on foot unless its a bad day. The SU looks like this:

QUBSU.jpg

If you would like any more information, let me know.

Keep an eye on <the Northern Ireland section of Neo Empire> for specific events. Although I will most likely be cross posting them here too. Ranking Battles run through out the academic year, typically one per month. Q-Con, the clubs largest event, occurs at the end of June. This year Q-Con netted just over 1000 attendees, 44 of which signed upto SFIV. Slayers also run 24 hour gaming sessions too that last from 1200 on the Sat to 1200 on the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I really have to stop being so lazy and start going to these.I've lost a bit of interest in SFIV (but that could change pretty quickly) and am firmly back to the ways of ST on ggpo and HD remix on live.

Do you guys play ST at all Kyle?

Leprechaun,if you're interested we can go together for our first time.

Unfortunately blag both ST and HDR dont recieve much play at all up in slayers. I know thats a bit of a kick in the balls, but thats not to say people wont become interested when others start playing. Also, if possible, I will meet you both before hand. let me know if / when you are going and we can hopefully arrange something.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

@mr_kyle: Cheers for all the info :). Nice to know that you have regular meets. I just wanted to ask though, you said that its an annual fee of £10 so would it be like I pay £10 and thats it or is it £10+console rental costs? It sounds really cool so I'll be sure pop down sometime soon :)

@blag: yeah, sure, sounds cool but I was thinking though, didn't you say your house is right opposite the SU? :) So just thought that it would be unnecessary hassle for yourself :)

No chap, no console rental. Its not a business, just a gaming club. Typically about 5 or 6 consoles are set up on a Tuesday and people bounce off and on. The annual might hit you twice potentially as the academic year runs from September. Depends how on the ball the committee are with new faces that night. So be aware of that just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Hey lads! As the title suggests, I'm looking for the northern gamers. I actually live in Donegal but much prefer traveling to somewhere in the north rather than having to travel for 4 hours to Dublin.

So, where do you dudes hang out when you're in your alter egos and where do you meet up in your disguises? :)

Magee (derry) have a gamer soc they meet twice a week during term time and hook up consoles to the big screens have been meaning to check it out have not gotten around to it yet

Aye Derry have WTF and Magee Core. WTF run occasional events at the Nerve Center. The Core Magee forums are dead though so general info is not easy to come by =/ I do know they split there nights; one anime and one gaming. I met some of the gaming chaps at Q-Con, will see if they can provide you with any further details.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Why don't all you northern chaps make the smart decision and move down to Westmeath so you can organise meets up that I can attend easily :pac:

Azza wrote: »
    Why don't all you northern chaps make the smart decision and move down to Westmeath so you can organise meets up that I can attend easily :pac:

XD Man you are boom! I wish distance wasnt such a pain in the ass.

Yeah! someone invent a teleportation device already. I mean, GEEZ! :O

• Advertisement

mr_kyle wrote: »
    No chap, no console rental. Its not a business, just a gaming club. Typically about 5 or 6 consoles are set up on a Tuesday and people bounce off and on. The annual might hit you twice potentially as the academic year runs from September. Depends how on the ball the committee are with new faces that night. So be aware of that just.

Right, cool. I've been told that I'm an arsehole so would be touch and go from the new faces side of things but no need to worry, I am tolerable.

Well, to very tolerable people anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah! someone invent a teleportation device already. I mean, GEEZ! :O
    I call that device "good netplay" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

@mr_kyle: Cheers for all the info :). Nice to know that you have regular meets. I just wanted to ask though, you said that its an annual fee of £10 so would it be like I pay £10 and thats it or is it £10+console rental costs? It sounds really cool so I'll be sure pop down sometime soon :)

@blag: yeah, sure, sounds cool but I was thinking though, didn't you say your house is right opposite the SU? :) So just thought that it would be unnecessary hassle for yourself :)

I don't literally live oppisate the SU,that's the main QUB building,although it would be pretty cool to live there,I live about 5 mins walk away.

It wouldn't be any hassle really,15 mins walk/5 mins on bus,Belast is quite small really.

Apparently the Magee Core guys are closed for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Malchia

Greetings lads, I'm Mike and I was on the Core committee this year as console co-ordinator and Tabletop Organiser. At the advice of mr_kyle here I thought I'd provide some Core news for anyone interested:

Core is the gaming and anime society of the University of Ulster Magee campus, in good ole Derry :) The gaming night this year was on a wednesday from 5-10ish in the Union bunker, and we had several xbox's running Rock Band/Guitar Hero, featured games and whatever anybody fancied playing, as well as some other random consoles and a tabletop TCG etc area

In terms of Street Fighter, we had a PS3 constantly running SF4, as well as at least one laptop running SF3 Third Strike (some of us being of the opinion that third strike is better than SF4), and we also have a whole host of other 2D-or-otherwise fighters, including Guilty Gear X2, KoF XI, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, etc

Unfortunately since we run on the University campus and most of us live scattered around Ireland (carrickfergus, dungannon, newcastle and newry for just 4 places) we can only run during term time for now. I can't confirm exact running details for Core next term yet as room changes and other issues will need to be taken care of (as well as making a decent website for info), however we do currently have a bebo page, located here, and information should be updated here first once the committee gets back on campus and starts organising for start-up in September/October.

Hope that helps, and feel free to either reply here or pm me if I haven't made anything clear enough =]

Advertisement