Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crackdown on gangland crime?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

what I don't understand is how someone can have had 39 previous convictions and still be walking the streets? this guy had offences ranging from road traffic violations through to threatening a member of the Gardai, was 2 days out of prison and went and shot someone dead.

Is it maybe true that as positive as the idea that prison should rehabilitate the offender, some people are just unable to be rehabilitated and we should just lock them up, and throw awy the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What can be said... The law is fcuked up, Just talk to the people over on the other forum that think the death penality is to harsh,

I think clearly this country has a case for the three strikes rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I agree, this is clearly criminal justice at a discount rate. Murder two for the price of one. That's practically an incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Too many bleeding hearts in this country looking for the rights of criminals... Guys who are convicted of murder should be banged up interminably so that they dont infringe on the civil rights of another citizen. Too much weight is given to the offenders rights to get back out after minimum time served without showing any signs of reform/remorse for what they have done.

There is no protection for law abiding citizens from these animals. And this is the greatest injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Is there anything to be said for public election of judges a la the USA?

Concurrent setence???? but sure of course, we can hardly go around "punishing" people for their crimes.

Actually, let me take back those statements, I'm sure the judges would love to lock him up but our prisons are far too overcrowded to give someone a cell for 50+ years and to be fair if (and its a big if) the current shower were to build a few new prisons around the country who wants a prison in their back yard?

IRA prisoners were the only ones in this country to ever get a real sentence apart from a small few high profile cases -eg Gilligan (22 yrs for smuggling weed, but really for Guerin).

Anyhows, we can bitch about it all we want but if an application to build a prison went up in your district will you support it or demand it becomes somewhere else's problem?

Personally, I honestly don't know how i'd react...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Too many bleeding hearts in this country looking for the rights of criminals... Guys who are convicted of murder should be banged up interminably so that they dont infringe on the civil rights of another citizen. Too much weight is given to the offenders rights to get back out after minimum time served without showing any signs of reform/remorse for what they have done.

There is no protection for law abiding citizens from these animals. And this is the greatest injustice.

problem with locking up a criminal for life is the cost of keeping him alive and in a decent level of living standard and while also keeping him safe from others and others safe from him...

banishment. seriously. "we, the irish people dont want your sort aroudn here. give us back our passport, we'll take your house and belongings too. here's a thousand quidnow F off and dont come back. Youve got 1 week to find a country that will take you and if you're still here after that, we'll fly you to siberia and sell you to a mining camp".

39 convictions and then murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

LoLth wrote: »
    problem with locking up a criminal for life is the cost of keeping him alive and in a decent level of living standard and while also keeping him safe from others and others safe from him...

banishment. seriously. "we, the irish people dont want your sort aroudn here. give us back our passport, we'll take your house and belongings too. here's a thousand quidnow F off and dont come back. Youve got 1 week to find a country that will take you and if you're still here after that, we'll fly you to siberia and sell you to a mining camp".

39 convictions and then murder?

Ah yes the cost - now here's a little gem...

Charge them for the cost of shelter and food - they can pay it back by (heaven forbid) working for wages (all nominal, just figures, no actual cash) in jobs of benefit to the state (road construction, cleaning, etc). I think it costs at least €80k per prisoner per year so we'd technically have to pay them above the minimum wage :p

Whats that you say? I should be minister for justice? Ah stop it lads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cork Boy wrote: »
    in jobs of benefit to the state (road construction, cleaning, etc).

This just won't work as an idea.
    The genuine road constructors and cleaners will go on strike as they see their 'trade' being undercut by free labour.
    Even in America most of the chaingangs were doing non-work (breaking up rocks for the sake of it, not to build anything)

Advertisement