Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone been hacked?

• 09-07-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Anyone here had their xbox live account hacked?

My son had his donelast night - his gamertag was changed and then the scum that did it had the cheek to send a friend request to him. Also bought 5000 microsoft points with my Visa.

Not worried about the funds as I have made xBox refund the money and been on to Visa etc.

However, what is the benefit of these nerds doing this - can they transfer the microsoft points over to their own account? Is there any way I can track them down?

Is this what not having a girlfriend does to teenage boys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

How old is your son? I've never been hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

he's 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

When you play online some people fish for clues ask you questions like your favourite colour and what not anything for info about what your personal likes might be and what not, trying to find clues as to what your password might be. Some might even say they can get you so and so many points if you give them your password.

It's a pain, happens to a good few people, even some in the industry, remember reading a blog post about how it happened to them.

You just need to be careful online when playing with strangers.

A good tip is when creating a security question and answer would be like. Q: What's your first pets name? Answer: Green. Double your security almost.

It couldv'e been a girl that hacked his account. There so manipulative.

I have reset his security stuff - I guarantee he did give out info - before he realised this 'person' had stolen money he actually thought they were nice and anted to add them as a friend (God help all parents!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

As a parent, you can usually set up some security on a child account to limit the contact they would have with 'strangers' on Live. For example, they might be allowed to play against anyone, but cannot communicate with anyone not on their friends list (and they need you as a parent to add them on to the friends list).

Not sure of the exact steps of how to do that - it should be on the XBox support pages. Although I think it involves setting up the account as a child account in the first place.

Always better to be safe than sorry when letting kids go online - anywhere, not just on XBox Live.

(I know, it's like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted ... but I hope it helps for future...)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that - I am going to take control of his xbox account - should have really done it to begin with. I will be talking to xbox again today about it so I will get them to talk me thorugh it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Sorry to hear about your son's account .

I have my own son's xbox live account set up the way Fingleberries suggests and so far so good.

My son can't receive voice or text messages or video messages and when he plays online he does not have to put up with sh*t talk from other players as everyone is muted, so he can just get on with what he wants to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MrParanoid

Already stated that he was not hacked, but just trapped by a phisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It couldv'e been a girl that hacked his account. There so manipulative

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Get onto mixrosoft and since you have his guys gamertag they should be able to track him down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Get onto mixrosoft and since you have his guys gamertag they should be able to track him down.

Yup yup see how he likes it when he's banned and gamer score whiped out etc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    wtf?

haven't you seen 'Hackers'? world is full of girls looking like Angelina Jolie who want to hack into our pc's and xboxes

If it's Angelina Jolie hacking the account then I am sure we can sort it out like adults

Ok before this turns into an angelina jolie hack the planet appreciation thread.

original comment by Rizzla, I going to assume it was tongue firmly in cheek, and the response to it has been tongue in cheek though with a mild sprinkle of confusion. But it does borderline on offensive and despite (my own included) beliefs that all xbox owners are male, we do in fact have a quite a few lady gamers. So for future reference, comments like so:
    It couldv'e been a girl that hacked his account. There so manipulative.

will initially result in a warning pm for first offence and a repeat offence will take a temporary holiday. Which will get longer and longer with the more offences.

Just to return to the OP issue for a second - I found this on the XBox support site, to talk about some of the settings.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/familysettings/live/xbox360/xboxlivecontrols.htm
    http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/support/xbox360/familysettings/consolefamilysettings.htm

If the account was originally created as a full account rather than a child account, it might not be possible to limit the activites. Or if you can talk with XBox / Live support they might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It begins as a stranger messaging you saying something like "I can make you rank up if you give your email and password" Once they have this they recover the gamertag on their console and then change the password so they lock you out.

The benefit of it is that they can buy whatever on the marketplace until the credit carder owner cops on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Yeah it was going on with gears for a few weeks, guys saying they coud give you all the achievements and rank you up.Decided to go along with one of em for a bit just to see what the crack was.They start off with the usual friendly crap and say they can do it for a few quid, then they say as stated already that they need points instead of money and access to your account for a few mins.
    Lot of assholes out there preying on kids ,feel really sorry for the op, hope you catch the feckers and they get more than a ban, after all it is fraud that was committed and should be taken seriously.Remember playing wow few years back and it was full of cnuts hacking accounts and doing the selling gold thing to get your account details.Read somewhere before that it was a multi million dollar industry and some places actually have groups of people hired constantly looking for the in, in to your account.

Just had lots of fun talking to xbox.

Firstly regarding the issue of the fraud - they are investigating it and will contact me within five working days.

Secondly, I deleted his profile and wanted to set him up with a new one - now my credit card is never going on tht site again so I figured he could buy the live voucher things - of course to set him up - they require an adult credit card and as I refuse to give my details to them I cannot set up as a child using xbox live as they have no other method of verification.

Now to me this an obvious way for Microsoft to make a few quid - card needs to be put on account which maes it nice n easy to purchase downloads etc. After having my card used fraudulently on their site why in hell would I put another card on? The support agent was of little help - there is no other way of verifying my age (which is handy for them).

My only alternatives are to risk a card again, let him use a false DOB (which means no family settings) or tell him to look for a new hobby.

Not very satisfied - is there any crap like this on the PS3 live?

of course to set him up - they require an adult credit card

you shouldnt need a credit card to create an xbox live account. God knows I dont have a credit card and I have an account.

Should look into that again. You should have the option to enter a seriel code off one of those 12 month cards instead.

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Just had lots of fun talking to xbox.

Firstly regarding the issue of the fraud - they are investigating it and will contact me within five working days.

Secondly, I deleted his profile and wanted to set him up with a new one - now my credit card is never going on tht site again so I figured he could buy the live voucher things - of course to set him up - they require an adult credit card and as I refuse to give my details to them I cannot set up as a child using xbox live as they have no other method of verification.

Now to me this an obvious way for Microsoft to make a few quid - card needs to be put on account which maes it nice n easy to purchase downloads etc. After having my card used fraudulently on their site why in hell would I put another card on? The support agent was of little help - there is no other way of verifying my age (which is handy for them).

My only alternatives are to risk a card again, let him use a false DOB (which means no family settings) or tell him to look for a new hobby.

Not very satisfied - is there any crap like this on the PS3 live?
    If it's just to register the account, you could use one of those 3V vouchers to register - when they check it, it appears to be a real credit card but it usually expires about 3-4 months after you buy it.

Using the prepaid cards for a Gold account rather than Credit card is so much better, and safer. From sites like gamepointsnow.com you can get a gold prepaid card for about €35 instead of €60.

Also, part of the Family Settings means that you can restrict what can be downloaded by the Child account (e.g. no permission to buy things without your permission). Etc.

With regard to this happening on the Playstation Network, I'm sure the same thing happens. It often happens in the real world, too, things like Spam e-mails trying to trick you into giving out personal details, or to 'log in to verify your bank details'.

Hope that helps ... :)
    ... and that the little bugger who did that to your account gets clobbered for fraud or something :mad:

• Advertisement

You need a credit card to set up a childs account.

One of those 3v thingies should do the trick instead of a real Credit Card - and limits your exposure to being ripped off again.

Cheers - I'll look into the 3v card - seems like it could be the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

+1 on the 3v option. check out www.3v.ie and order a card from them. took 5 working days to recieve mine in the post.

Have just done this - thanks people - if anyone else experiences the same problem with hacking and creit cards make sure you hassle xbox support as much as possible. The more hassle they get the more likely they are to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im pretty sure you dont have to have a CC linked to live, I used to have my mothers linked to mine, rang up and got it cancelled, I can just get a gold subsciption emailed to me when I need it, id rather it that way to be honest, you can also buy the points in a game shop or even buy them through points sites (safely) on your own credit card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

3v for one month 6.99 then buy a 12month code online costing half the price xbox charge for it if you buy direct!!!!!! can be got for as little as 33 or so, plus the points for dlc can be gained in the same fashion ;)

Without your cc ever touching that dirty little white box, no way in hell they'd ever get my cc details :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

I recommend www.jasper1675.com if you want to get a cheap 12 + 1 month Gold subscription. I've used him twice and so have all my friends/family. Much cheaper than buying from MS direct and he emails the code to you straight away. Takes paypal too which gives you further protection from any fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

steve927 wrote: »
    I recommend www.jasper1675.com if you want to get a cheap 12 + 1 month Gold subscription. I've used him twice and so have all my friends/family. Much cheaper than buying from MS direct and he emails the code to you straight away. Takes paypal too which gives you further protection from any fraud.
    Currently out of
    stock

been that way for a well over a month or 2 now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Wish more parents used the child settings, I remember being in my ex's house and her little sister was playing some kiddie online game, like Hello Kitty Island adventure or something. So, I thought I'd be the good boyfriend and feign an interest in what the kid was doing. In about 5 minutes her online character was approached by at least two random characters that started inappropriate conversations. Tried to draw attention to this but nobody cared.
    Putting a child online with no protection is a bit like putting them in a cage in the middle of a shopping centre and strolling off. Hackers are the least of your worries.

Advertisement