Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Football League - Without the Top 4

• 09-07-2009 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just creating a seperate thread for those that would like to join the league where your team must not contain any players from the top 4 teams (Liverpool, Man. Unt., Arsenal & Chelsea)

There would be an entry fee of 20 Euro - half of the total amount would be donated to the Santa Strike Force if it is to go ahead again this year, if not it will be donated to the National Childrens Hospital.

The code to join the league is 28456-13780 and you can PM me for details on where to transfer the entry fee

Thanks,

Jugs82

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This is a good cause, and was a bit of fun last year.

Thanks to the OP for setting up as I don't have the time to monitor it this year, but I'll be entering a team in the coming days.

Added to Hot Threads sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bump.

I didn't realise there was a thread until I read your PM Jugs.

This was good fun last year alright, I think there were 10 or 12 entrants in the end so there was 100 odd prize money with the other 100 going to the SSF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Finding it tough to settle on a team this year, its looking like a mix of mainly Everton, Spurs & City

I think Fulham might struggle this year so im staying away from their defenders, some of the West Ham players could be interesting this year (Behrami, Jimenez & Ashton, if he recovers well from his injury)

Also, not too keen on Villa, i think the loss of Barry & Laursen could leave them severly exposed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Will enter a team in this later today hopefully, not too easy looking to pick a team here for the start of the season as city, villa, everton, west ham and bolton are not playing game week 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'll be defending my title :D

will join the league when I get access tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll join up again.

Looking to improve on last year's third spot.

EDIT: And we're in -

Schwarzer

G. Cahill
    Woodgate
    Samba
    Lescott

Young
    Noble
    Barry
    Cahill

Robinho
    Crouch

Subs: Hart, Figueroa, Krancjar, Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good idea- I'm in- this week two is going to be a killer here though

Indeed it will, why are they not playing? For anyone who missed it in the other thread, the teams are Arsenal, West ham, Everton, Bolton, Man Cty and Villa.

7 Teams in which is great - anybody else interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Jugs82 wrote: »
    7 Teams in which is great - anybody else interested?

I'll join this too... Be interesting :)

How do I pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I'l join up to but have any of you got kicked out for having duplicate teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I might join up soon, but this will require monitoring another team. I like the fairness of it though, so I'll look in to it soonish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I too am interested but like above have the query as to how I pay?

thewools wrote: »
    I'll join this too... Be interesting :)

How do I pay?

I will PM everybody that enters bank details to transfer the 20 Euro later in the week when we have more entries
    I'l join up to but have any of you got kicked out for having duplicate teams?

Didn't have a problem last year but I did use seperate email addresses for each team

At the moment we have 8 Teams In: (Team Name - Boards Username)

Best of the Rest - Jugs82
    Top(4)Less - Necronomicon
    Fudge Monkeys - Mr Roger Bongos
    Ruining Football - Xavi6
    Chumps - Iago
    Mr_Incognio_SSF - Mr Incognio
    Glenfica - Shiibata
    Here for the Beer - The Wools

Also, anybody else entering a team, if they could PM me their team name that would be great as I can then know who is in and send the bank details to the correct people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Yep, it was Glenfica I entered. PM sent

I will be entering a team soon.

With Adebayor at City, is he a good candidate for your team?

With Adebayor at City, is he a good candidate for your team?

Thinking about it sure... :cool:

Thanks for the PM - I will sort out payment sometime next week prob when I get the chance.

Anyone else interested?

Good to get the numbers up a bit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

hi,

i'm in!

team name - good bad & beardsley.

how will i get the money to you?

• Advertisement

how will i get the money to you?

PM Jugs for bank details.

11 teams in so far, would be great to add a few more before the season kicks off... Any takers??

I'm gonna throw a real spanner in the works (just like last season) and say I can't pay into that bank account because of my location. I'd have to do a telegraphic transfer which could take up to two weeks and would cost more anyway than the entry fee itself.

Last year I paid via paypal but if that's not an option then I'll just have to drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

'Currently more of a soccer forum lurker than poster but I love FF and would be interested in getting involved. Paying via paypal would be handy, if that's a possible option.

I have a Paypal account so thats no problem

I think you just need to PM me your email address and I will send you a mail directly from my Paypal account requesting payment.

I'm in. PM sent. Team name: Dynamo Kev.

Finding it really difficult to pick a team with Gameweek 2 in mind, wondering if I should just call the gameweek a write off and pick the team I want for the season, or try to build around GW2 and take some points hits getting the team back to how I want it. The most recent team I made would have 8 players missing for the fixtures.

Takk wrote: »
    I'm in. PM sent. Team name: Dynamo Kev.

Please Pm me the paypal details - would suit me much better...

Please Pm me the paypal details - would suit me much better...

No problem - just PM your email address so I can send you a payment request.

Agree about week 2, its a right pain in the a$$!!

• Advertisement

Anybody else interested?

Everyone pay up Jugs?? ;)

Are you closing entires to this league when this gameweek starts??

Everyone pay up Jugs?? ;)

Are you closing entires to this league when this gameweek starts??

Nearly there :rolleyes: Just a few stragglers but we have 2 new players too which is good - Coogee & Antomac

This gameweek 2 is driving me crazy picking the team...

As for closing this off once the season begins, i think so because ppl coming in afterwards could have gotten points in previous weeks from players playing for top 4 clubs - it would just make it all very messy

This gameweek 2 is driving me crazy picking the team...

Bigtime - havnt really got around to looking at my team for this league properly yet :(
    As for closing this off once the season begins, i think so because ppl coming in afterwards could have gotten points in previous weeks from players playing for top 4 clubs - it would just make it all very messy

Yea - it should be closed from start GW1 - did anyone try sneak in a "illegal" player last year? :p

My team is finally GW2-proof (but Fulham v Blackburn being postponed made it way harder). I have my XI for the first week, some of them will be missing in GW2 but when my 3 subs come in, I'll just have to use my free transfer to have another XI for GW2.

Ok, that's it, I'm going to try and avoid rejigging my squad again from now until the deadline.

• Advertisement

My team is finally GW2-proof (but Fulham v Blackburn being postponed made it way harder). I have my XI for the first week, some of them will be missing in GW2 but when my 3 subs come in, I'll just have to use my free transfer to have another XI for GW2.

Done my team - loads of £££££ in the bank.

Dont like my team at all - at all... But have players who can play both this gameweek and the next!! :rolleyes:

Wildcard prob come into play in Gameweek 3 :eek:

I don't think you need to close it off, but if people want to join after GW1 then they have to start on 0 points with a new team...simples!

GW2 is a real bitch, no matter what way I cook it I'm not happy. I'll probably make 14 transfers at about 11am tomorrow in desperation.

48 Points, Everybody has played and hoping for 3 or 4 bonus points - I'm happy with that for a start

Iago wrote: »
    I don't think you need to close it off, but if people want to join after GW1 then they have to start on 0 points with a new team...simples!

GW2 is a real bitch, no matter what way I cook it I'm not happy. I'll probably make 14 transfers at about 11am tomorrow in desperation.

I'd say your fairly happy - Shawcross as captain :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

43 meh- more worried that I had to play my wildcard- had meant to go back and change players for this week but oh well, have money in the bank and can swap players in and out depending on fixtures

• Advertisement

I'd say your fairly happy - Shawcross as captain :eek:

Inspired decision making on my behalf, when you're limited to non top 4 teams you have to get creative :D

Shawcross stood me in good stead on my way to the title last year and came up trumps again at the weekend for me.

Still it's a marathon not a sprint, so I wouldn't be reading too much into it at this early stage.

I'm so annoyed with myself for underestimating Wigan - had Bramble and Rodallega on the bench :(

Still, 46 I'm not too disappointed with. Must make one transfer to be able to field a full XI this week, then I'll use my wildcard for GW3 onwards. Not too worried about using it this early, because I'd expect to have a little bit of money left in the bank, and being able to accumulate 2 free transfers in a week gives flexibility.

Think I might wait until a few teams are playing twice in a gameweek before using the wildcard.

Happy enough with 49 and have a team for next week without transfers, so happy days

I'm so annoyed with myself for underestimating Wigan - had Bramble and Rodallega on the bench :(

Still, 46 I'm not too disappointed with. Must make one transfer to be able to field a full XI this week, then I'll use my wildcard for GW3 onwards. Not too worried about using it this early, because I'd expect to have a little bit of money left in the bank, and being able to accumulate 2 free transfers in a week gives flexibility.

Up to yourself regarding the wildcard - you could gradually work on your team over a few weeks either if it suits!!

I also underestimated Wigan - I had Koumas and Bramble on the bench and had A.Young at captain. Still got 44 points which was alright considering I had 15points on the bench!! grrrrrrr

A poxy 40 points. Sooooo many players underperformed.

Might wildcard it up after gameweek 2 as my team was built with that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Anybody else having problems getting the head 2 head set up :confused: Cant seem to find the option for it anywhere :o

Last year I was entered automatically from what I remember !

A miserable 11 points from last night - why oh why did McCarthy sub Miljas, he needed just 3 more minutes for 2 more points

Have 6 playing tonight so hoping for a good points haul, especially from Spurs, although I think everybody else involved is hoping the same.

This league is going to be tough, takes up far more time than the main one for me, looking at future fixtures, picking a captain etc...

This league is going to be tough, takes up far more time than the main one for me, looking at future fixtures, picking a captain etc...

That's what happened to me last year. I won this league but it took so much time and focus that I really underperformed with my main team. Determined not to do it this year, but I've already started looking at where the value is without the top 4 involved :(

Must try harder..

Yeah I also found it hard to juggle last year. Another thing that would happen is that I'd see one of my players scoring but then I'd stop and think "oh wait, which team do I have him on again??". In the end I kind of lost interest and stopped meeting deadlines, determined for that not to happen again this season.

Defoe has really shaken things up

Why oh Why didnt I have him in the team :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement