Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centerfire rifle calibers

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

under the new law to be passed shortly .what calibers will we be allowed for deer stalking.

270 rem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

As far as i know, i might be corrected but i dont think there is any change to what we will be allowed for stalking,

22-250 and up and i think its staying that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

does anyone actually still use the .22-250 for stalking ? maybe an increase to .243 the same as it is in the uk is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bongo bongo

Lots of people still use the .22-250 with no prob and always remember its shot placement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i heard a hunting licence wouldn't be issued if you were using the .22-250 , the last hunting licence i got was ages ago and i dropped in the application form by hand , i was also in the process of changing rifles too and the person i spoke to said they wouldn't issue a licence until i could tell them what calibre of rifle it was going to be ,a .22-250 wouldn't be considered.
    i do know that .22 centrefires are illegal in many places around the world for deer sized game and i believe the .243 is illegal for red deer in germany !

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

rowa wrote: »
    i heard a hunting licence wouldn't be issued if you were using the .22-250 , the last hunting licence i got was ages ago and i dropped in the application form by hand ,!

well heres your licence application..

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,3684,en.pdf

clearly states 22-250...dont know what they were telling you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wait and see I reckon.
    The requirement is based on energy, not calibre. 22-250 rounds don't always meet the requirements, and while they can be legal. They can't be altered/fixed/etc so as to make them meet the requirements all the time.

Just because you meet the requirements, they can refuse you on grounds of energy.

Advertisement