Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-dating you employer about your health condition?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Your point of view would be greatly appreciated....

I have been sick with chronic sinusitis for more than three weeks and had apparently a nervous breakdown due to lack of good sleep (palpitations and feeling really down at the same time). I went to my GP who put me off for 3 days and sent me for further check to the hospital.
    I informed my manager before my working hours that I would go to my GP and e-mailed him back around 12 that I was off sick for 3 days with medical certificate and would go for further checks.
    His reply was that we had to discuss how I was. In my own country, your health condition and evolution when you are sick with a medical certificate shall not be discussed with your employer and is covered by law. You need to inform about your absence and provide a medical certificate. And that's it. Not discussing your health condition is to prevent from bullying and justifying yourself.
    I really felt as I had to justify my illness and as I have my mid year review next week, I will have in mind that they know I had a nervous breakdown and I wont be as confident to ask more responsibilities,... even if I dont expect them bullying me, I will know they know !

Being a foreign national, I would like to know if the above also make sense within the Irish work culture and law or not at all?
    I disclosed partly the situation to my boss and I would like to know what behaviour should I have when I return: say everything or stick to the minimum (which I would obviously prefer).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

its quiet the norm these days that when your out on sick leave upon your return that you do a back to work interveiw with your boss.

questions are how are you now/what was wrong with you etc also you must get a leter from the doc stating that your medicaly fit to return to work without this many employers cannot let you back to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Asking to discuss your health is in no way bullying and you won't get very far if you try that one.

They have to be satisfied that your health is good enough to continue with the job you are doing, they have to cover themselves that it is safe for you and for them for you to return to work. This is to stop any disputes further down the line.

It is completely normal.

I live in New Zealand and it is also completely normal here. It has happened twice with people that work in my company that were on longer periods of sick leave. The company need to be sure that they are not making you return to work if you are still not fit to be there. Both staff members were sent for medicals by an independent doctor to make sure they were fit to return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

watna wrote: »
    Asking to discuss your health is in no way bullying and you won't get very far if you try that one.

They have to be satisfied that your health is good enough to continue with the job you are doing, they have to cover themselves that it is safe for you and for them for you to return to work. This is to stop any disputes further down the line.

It is completely normal.

I live in New Zealand and it is also completely normal here. It has happened twice with people that work in my company that were on longer periods of sick leave. The company need to be sure that they are not making you return to work if you are still not fit to be there. Both staff members were sent for medicals by an independent doctor to make sure they were fit to return to work.

Its for a doctor to decide if a person is healthy enough to work. I would provide them the cert and say you were ill, I would not mention the breakdown though as thats patient / doctor confidential. Dont actually say its confidental to them as you will just look difficult, just tell them you were sick with something else. Insomnia... Unless it says something else on the cert a doctor cant talk with a company about your sickness, so they only know what you tell them.

Advertisement