Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My son looking for car/insurance.

• 09-07-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure this question has been asked millions of times but.
    My son ( soon to be 18 )
    will be looking at buying his 1st car.
    Only issue is he is almost 6' 1" and still growing so a small car is sort of out of the question.
    He is looking at
    Golf
    Leon
    Civic
    Bora maybe..??

Something along those lines anyway.
    1.4 engine.

I have searched online for insurance quotes and was expecting some seroius quotes I was NOT prepared for some that I got.

Example

Quinn
    Insured in my name ( Not using my valuable bonus )
    02 Seat leon 1.4
    Valued 4k
    4,600 euro :eek:

even down to a 1.2 polo didnt change it much.

I then went to a 00 Seat Ibiza 1.0

still at 3,400 with various companies..

Is there any other way of getting him on the road for something more reasonable than those quotes ?

Somebody said not to use the net for quotes but to actually phone the companies up ( which I think is a pain in the *** 0

Any suggestions?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

vectra wrote: »
    My son ( soon to be 18 )
    Only issue is he is almost 6' 1" and still growing so a small car is sort of out of the question.
    He is looking at
    Golf
    Leon
    Civic
    Bora maybe..??

1.4 engine.

I have searched online for insurance quotes and was expecting some seroius quotes I was NOT prepared for some that I got.

Example

Quinn
    02 Seat leon 1.4
    Valued 4k

Is there any other way of getting him on the road for something more reasonable than those quotes ?

Somebody said not to use the net for quotes but to actually phone the companies up ( which I think is a pain in the *** 0

FBD using your name should get it around 1500, a mate in same situation a few months back and thats what he found!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    FBD using your name should get it around 1500, a mate in same situation a few months back and thats what he found!

Good stuff.
    Should I ring them or go online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Good stuff.
    Should I ring them or go online?

He rang them and then went in to check it in person. All worked out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I wouldn't worry about his height and having to get a small car too much. A friend of mine is over 6'5" and he was driving an old model (96) VW Polo for years. Also a 1 litre (<999 cc) should work out a lot cheaper on insurance than a 1.2 or a 1.4.

Recon wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about his height and having to get a small car too much. A friend of mine is over 6'5" and he was driving an old model (96) VW Polo for years. Also a 1 litre (<999 cc) should work out a lot cheaper on insurance than a 1.2 or a 1.4.

Well,
    To be fair with him.
    I have a SEAT Cordoba ( Polo based )
    I let him drive it in a private area a few times and his knees were up around his ears :D

I did look at 1.0 litre engined cars ( SEAT Ibiza )
    Still around 3.5 k for insurance.
    Will try FBD later on
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

gpjordanf1 wrote: »

But if they find out you're not the actual main driver ye could be stuffed...

EPM wrote: »
    But if they find out you're not the actual main driver ye could be stuffed...

Theoreticaly ( SP )
    I will be the main driver as he will NOT be using the car on his own until he does his test.
    I will drive it at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

could be to do with his height - the brain signals take longer to get to the feet and so the reaction times are slower - try tell them he's 4'6";)

On a serious note, there is no rhyme or reason to insurance anymore, my own is up for renewal on 30/07 and went to insure.ie 13 quotes came back in all cheapest was €409 most expensive €813!

I think they range from "we really want your business" to "meh" to "we don't like your type 'round here"

phoning is a pin in the aras but worthwhile i don't know if hibernian still have that ignition thing but it used to be well worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Try a broker. They take a lot of the dog work out of shopping around.

I use McCarty Insurance Group down in Cork http://www.mig.ie/. They were able to get me an excellent quote, better than any other insurance co or broker I contacted. I'm not sure what their policy is re young drivers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Theoreticaly ( SP )
    I will be the main driver as he will NOT be using the car on his own until he does his test.
    I will drive it at times.

Sounds like a plan if thats the case.

Try McCarthys in Fermoy, they are usually handy enough price wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I was quoted for my 90bhp 1.9 TDI Golf Estate, totally base model, nothing mad.

Wait for it

:o

€7000

Id have to write the car off two and a third times according to the Top Gear logic when they did a show on insurance a couple of weeks ago.

I dont know what some companies are at.

I eventually got it down to 3500/2200 (provisional/full on 3rd party) with Quinn and my Dad knows someone in Allianz who has it down to 3200.
    Most companies are quoting me around the 4 to 5 mark.

Oddly the 1.4 petrol is only 200 quid cheaper :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

bbk wrote: »
    Id have to write the car off two and a third times according to the Top Gear logic when they did a show on insurance a couple of weeks ago.

Or just crash into another car once and cause more than €7,000 worth of damage. Or worst case, injure someone and have a massive potential pay-out on your hands.

As ridiculous as insurance seems for young drivers the potential losses for the insurance companies are huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

bbk wrote: »
    Oddly the 1.4 petrol is only 200 quid cheaper :confused:

I would think it has more to do with you age, provisional licence and driving experience rather than the capacity of the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

In my experience the price difference between engine sizes (1l >1.6) is negligible, your talking 5-10% max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I would think it has more to do with you age, provisional licence and driving experience rather than the capacity of the engine.

Id tend to agree there, however I have always been told and under the impression that its to do with engine size on top of all that.

Like, a 2 grand general quote for being 18 and on a provisonal then the engine size added ontop of that.

Still, its something I have no idea about and Im not going to try and understand. :p

Fingers crossed that nothing happens to me Im looking forward to some cuts in the cost.

For the thread starter, if all things go well with your son 6 months is the longest you will have to be on the provisional insurance for.
    I got 2200 quote for a full license (18 years old) although I will be 19 in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Worth giving brittoninsurance.com a go. They seem to be one of the few reasonable insurance co's left! Not with them myself yet but more than likely will be when my policy is up next month as the renewal quote will probably be more than what it was last year as there seems to be a general rise in insurance prices. (esp. for the younger crowd:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

In my experience the price difference between engine sizes (1l >1.6) is negligible, your talking 5-10% max.

My experience was the complete opposite. Difference of ~500 or so going from a 1.0 to 1.1.

Vectra; I don't think that almost 6.1 is particularly tall. It certainly wouldn't be tall enough to rule out small cars. Anyway - do small cars really compromise the driver's position all that much? I'd have thought it would be more the boot and back seats that are more likely to suffer the most. Could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

I let him drive it in a private area a few times and his knees were up around his ears :D

Seats are adjustable.

Im 6'4 and drive a polo comfortably.

Edit: And try claim him as being a girl. insurance will be nothing then :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I drove a Fiat Punto and I've over 6 foot. My dad often drove it and he is over 6'3 and still had lots of head/foot room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im driving a 03 seat ibiza 1.2 atm and insurance was 2100 3rd party on my own insurance and im 18 and was on a provisional, that was the best quote i got, quinn seem to be the best for young drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

slightly off-topic but I once saw Sebastien Chabal (the caveman like 6'3" french number 8) driving a smart car....I thought it was a publicity stunt but apparently it's his daily run about car :)

slightly off-topic but I once saw Sebastien Chabal (the caveman like 6'3" french number 8) driving a smart car....I thought it was a publicity stunt but apparently it's his daily run about car :)

Yep, I've heard that too. Though I think he had the two seater SMART car hatchback which has buckets of room because there are no back seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm 6 2 and have been unfortunate enough to get stuck driving a 1.4 4 speed auto box Polo:o:o for the last few weeks and i fit in it grand. I wouldn't think there'd be much of a problem in something small like a fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well,
    To be fair with him.
    I have a SEAT Cordoba ( Polo based )

I did look at 1.0 litre engined cars ( SEAT Ibiza )
    Still around 3.5 k for insurance.
    Will try FBD later on
    thanks

I'm six two, and i have no problem driving a toyota aygo, which belongs to my aunt. Try adjust the seat to the max distance back!

1 liter max for first time insurance. Anything other will just cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Engine size can have a big enough difference but it will vary between different car makes. It goes more by insurance group.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/#ig=0&manu=4256&model=295

will show you what insurance group different cars are in the lower the better.

One example how its not just engine size, I drive a 1.4 honda civic which is group 7, where as a 1.4 fiesta is only group 4. This site is for UK but I would imagine is same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

gillo_100 wrote: »
    Engine size can have a big enough difference but it will vary between different car makes. It goes more by insurance group.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/#ig=0&manu=4256&model=295

I drive a 1.4 honda civic which is group 7, where as a 1.4 fiesta is only group 4. This site is for UK but I would imagine is same here.

You'd be wrong in assuming that unfortunately.
    The Irish insurance industry doesn't believe in that kind of thing as then we might be able to guess how much our insurance should be likely to cost when changing car and they wouldn't be able to rip us off as much :mad: Irish insurance prices are based on a variety of factors including the following :
    - Do you have a penis
    - Are you under 50
    - Is it raining
    - Is it one of those fancy cars (i.e. something better than the person who's quoting you drives)
    - Was there no tea left in the canteen and so is the person doing the quote in a bad mood
    - Best out of 3 coin tosses as to whether it'll be over or under 5k if it's for a young lad on his first provisional

As for the OP, get the son a small un-trendy old lady car like a micra/vw lupo or fox (or whatever they're calling it these days) for the first year and then when he has some NCB maybe look at popping him into something a little bit larger.
    I'm 6'4 and have no probs driving the mothers polo once the seat is pushed all the way back so don't know how your sons knees could be up to his ears unless he had the seat right under the steering wheel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I'm raging with insurance at the moment.

Last year my insurance was €850, which was great. Got my renewal quote today for €1234. I thought they missed a decimal place, turned out they are taking the p!ss. After getting on the phone to them they kindly knocked €100 off the price.

Quick call around, Quinn direct come to me with an offer of €570, all the bells and whistles.

I rang back my own insurance company, the lady said " but quinn are slow to pay out ". I mentioned the fact that the two years i've been with them I haven't had one claim, no penalty points and i've driven about 30,000miles.

They really must pull figures out of the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Flyer1 wrote: »

Last year my insurance was €850, which was great. Got my renewal quote today for €1234. I thought they missed a decimal place, turned out they are taking the p!ss. After getting on the phone to them they kindly knocked €100 off the price.

Quick call around, Quinn direct come to me with an offer of €570, all the bells and whistles.

I rang back my own insurance company, the lady said " but quinn are slow to pay out ". I mentioned the fact that the two years i've been with them I haven't had one claim, no penalty points and i've driven about 30,000miles.

Over the last few years insurance companies we're "buying" in new business applying all sorts of discounts, now these discounts are all being removed & premiums are jumping up. Swings & roundabouts, one company will be cheap one year, next year it will be someone else.

To the O/P stick your son as a named driver on your policy until he gets a full licence, then ring up your insurance company & ask will they give an intro NCB as he is a named driver.
    or
    Don't bother putting yourself as main driver (not using your NCB) & son as a named driver on new car. The rating engine will still base the quote on your sons details. i.e put insurance in his own name & let him start earning his own NCB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Oh jaysus, Nicky's drivin? :D

In fairness, the Polo seats are pretty low down, I've a 97 outside, and it feels like a sportscar compared to the Ignis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tuom

My son ( soon to be 18 )
    He is looking at
    Golf
    Leon
    Civic
    Bora maybe..??

1.4 engine.

Example

Quinn
    02 Seat leon 1.4
    Valued 4k

We got a 95 "Classic" Fiesta for our daughter 18 in hubbys name insurance for her was 695 with Quinn , heart is in my mouth now that she is on the road !!! still we all had to start somewhere good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Flyer1 wrote: »

+1 for quinn,they must be sick of me,long story short,hit a pedestrian (not as bad as it sounds),ended up in court got a conviction and 5 penalty points,the claim against me was settled a few weeks ago,

i got my renewal letter last week my insurance went down by around €20, €588 of my renewal quote is because of the claim:eek:
    they are one of a few companys that give new drivers a chance,

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, Nicky's drivin? :D

In fairness, the Polo seats are pretty low down, I've a 97 outside, and it feels like a sportscar compared to the Ignis!

LOL

Yup
    Gave up the RC
    Got a Girlfriend...
    Now he needs transport to get to her..;)

He has his own funds to buy one so nothing out of my pocket.
    I suppose scour for a nice 1.0 polo?
    Is your one 1.0 ??
    That thing seemed to drive like the clappers :D
    tuom wrote: »
    We got a 95 "Classic" Fiesta for our daughter 18 in hubbys name insurance for her was 695 with Quinn , heart is in my mouth now that she is on the road !!! still we all had to start somewhere good luck

Could be a plan
    Did you husband just insure it not using his NCB ?

** EDIT **
    Just spotted there that it was a DAUGHTER you insured.
    I bet they will quote me at least double for my son
    Did you phone them or get a quote online?
    I was told to ring them.. Better quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

OP .

i think if you ask any of us what our insurance was like when we were 18 uld get all sorts of mad figures for me nine years ago i was payin 3600 pound .

i remember hibernian doing a young drive thing years ago by putting tracking devices in the cars etc. try look that up .

if he was to buy a car/van focous etc. he could try get commerical insurance ........ just a wild though but at 23 i got a mitusibishi l200 big 2.4 turbo diesal job, my car insurance at the time was 2000 or there abouts i got the jeep on FBD commerical for 750 euro fully your comp. so maybe worth a phone call .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

put him under ur name on the new car, try an astra, they seem to be in a low insurance group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tuom

LOL

Yup
    Gave up the RC
    Got a Girlfriend...
    Now he needs transport to get to her..;)

He has his own funds to buy one so nothing out of my pocket.
    I suppose scour for a nice 1.0 polo?
    Is your one 1.0 ??
    That thing seemed to drive like the clappers :D

Could be a plan
    Did you husband just insure it not using his NCB ?

** EDIT **
    Just spotted there that it was a DAUGHTER you insured.
    I bet they will quote me at least double for my son
    Did you phone them or get a quote online?
    I was told to ring them.. Better quotes.

went online but had to send in NCB cert you might have a point on it being a daughter, i was also told to ring them as you can bargain better
    and get a good deal its a minefield though i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

My son is 18 and is taking driving lessons with Aviva.If you book ten lessons in advance you'll get an extra one for free,they'll also insure the learner for six months,all for 389 euro,t&c apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Britton Donegal were by far cheaper for my 17 year son covered under my policy in 2.2 ltr dsl.

my daughter tried them when her renewal was due & they couldn't match axa (not far out)

I am well over 6 foot & i drive my daughter's yaris with ample room to sapre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

bladebrew wrote: »
    +1 for quinn, they are one of a few companys that give new drivers a chance,

Wrong...

I started off paying 2500 insurance for a 1.4 polo with them..

...i ring them a week ago to get a quote on a civic...not a type R and not over 2.0..just a civic

..'No sorry you have to be over 21'...bull$hit

FBD gave me a quote of 1400. Meh not bad but i want lower.

And this is all with 2 years NCB and full license. What do i need a shotgun too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

And this is all with 2 years NCB and full license. What do i need a shotgun too?[/quote]

haha wouldnt that be great ............ i live in dublin 22 cant get insurance from quinn anymore pmsl wonder would they reconsider if i sent them a copy of the gun liscence with the ncb hahaha

legend365 wrote: »
    Wrong...

...i ring them a week ago to get a quote on a civic...not a type R and not over 2.0..just a civic

And this is all with 2 years NCB and full license. What do i need a shotgun too?

Thats strange,
    A friend of my son has a civic insured with Quinn.. He is only 17.. I think he paid just over 2k for cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

legend365 wrote: »
    Wrong...

LOL, over 21 for a Civic??? I got insured on my Civic (02 1.4 3dr) at 17 with a provisional licence for 2000 with Quinn Direct, just renewed a few weeks ago 2 years NCB at 19 and got it for 1100 (with a full licence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

ronnie3585 wrote: »

age is not an issue, if you slip up at all they will throw the book at you, i gave up driving 2 years ago, and now expected to start from scratch, my insurance then was 397 comp on a 1.4 leon, quotes now on a fiesta range from 950 to 1300, im 44 full licence since i was20.

the problem is the insurance companies are a cartel, with limited foreign competition, one of the points of the nice treaty was free movement of goods services and people, our shower managed to get a dispensation

age is not an issue, if you slip up at all they will throw the book at you, i gave up driving 2 years ago, and now expected to start from scratch, my insurance then was 397 comp on a 1.4 leon, quotes now on a fiesta range from 950 to 1300, im 44 full licence since i was20.

the problem is the insurance companies are a cartel, with limited foreign competition, one of the points of the nice treaty was free movement of goods services and people, our shower managed to get a dispensation
    LOL how is it a cartel? most people will tell you that you can play insurance companies off each other & end up with a lower premium & the competition authority keeps an eye.#I for one wouldn't fancy dealing with e.g a spainish insurer based in spain with for a claim or waiting for a cert to be posted out!

Keith C wrote: »
    LOL how is it a cartel? most people will tell you that you can play insurance companies off each other & end up with a lower premium & the competition authority keeps an eye.#I for one wouldn't fancy dealing with e.g a spainish insurer based in spain with for a claim or waiting for a cert to be posted out!

hibernian are now based in india, also the price difference in most cases is marginal, a 2 year break and your quote increases by almost 300% with no regard for the 20years previous no claims, come on they're having al augh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

The quotes do not seem out of line with the amount I paid in 98 for a 1.3L Colt valued at 10000 pounds. I paid 3000 for my first insurance and 1500 one year later with full license. Was 25 then.

I remember the age of decent insurance quotes getting pushed from 21 to 23 to 27. What is it now. 30 before you can expect reasonable values ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm 6'4 and drive a Punto, loads of room.

I'm 6'4 and drive a Punto, loads of room.

Did that affect the cost of your insurance?? :confused:
    :D

hibernian are now based in india, also the price difference in most cases is marginal, a 2 year break and your quote increases by almost 300% with no regard for the 20years previous no claims, come on they're having al augh

im sure the 700+ staff in hatch st would beg to differ let alone the staff in galway & Cork!
    Your 20 years no claim is reflected in your no claims bonus. Do you expect insurance to drop to €5 because your diving years without a claim??

Keith C wrote: »
    im sure the 700+ staff in hatch st would beg to differ let alone the staff in galway & Cork!
    Your 20 years no claim is reflected in your no claims bonus. Do you expect insurance to drop to €5 because your diving years without a claim??

i expect my insurance to be reasonable no higher than 600 euro, given my age and record, im looking to insure a ferrari i have no problem with anyone making a profit, also given the fact thatthe insurance companies successfully negotiated restricted pay outs and legal involvement, i think its a bit rich quoting an average of a grand to me, for a crap ford fiesta 1.1 maybe you have money to burn i dont, one notable company has used the excuse that they lost money on their shares, so the cost of insurance goes up, when they were making huge money on those shares did they substantially cut the cost to the punter

Insurance costs did drop considerably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement