Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooloney Roundabout

Options
  • 09-07-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a post Here in the motors forum I want to put a thread here and hopefully it will get through to a few heads..

If you are traveling down the N17 heading for Sligo and you come to the N4/N17 roundabout in Cooloney and wish to turn left for Sligo town...

..............You CANNOT turn left at the roundabout if you are in the right hand.

This lane is for taking the 2nd exit for the new business park or the 3rd exit for Dublin.

Anyone is entitled and perfectly within the law to use the LHS lane for taking the 2nd exit also, and if you attempt to turn left from the RH lane and they go straight on the collision that occurs will be totally your fault...

/rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Always amazes me how many people don't know this

Also the vast majority of people don't seem to indicate when leaving the roundabout if they are going straight through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Somebody, who was learning at the time told us that is the way they are taught from the instructors (see above description) here. We were totally shocked :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Jesus who the fup does that? I've seen some driver do it and go into the fast lane on the carriageway then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

^ That is what I see every morning. Without Fail.

I wonder would a letter to The Champion do any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

As a new driver, that roundabout is like the worst rollercoaster.

Nobody indicates.
    Nobody is in the right lane - if indeed they are in a lane at all...

Nightmare. I would NOT like to have to drive it everyday.

(I also appear to have to swear like a trooper while crossing it. Is this normal? :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

(I also appear to have to swear like a trooper while crossing it. Is this normal? :o)

Perfectly normal :D

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Perfectly normal :D

That's good to know. :D

I spend half the time swearing, and the other half apologising to my daughter for the dreadful language. I think she may be getting used to it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

That's good to know. :D

I spend half the time swearing, and the other half apologising to my daughter for the dreadful language. I think she may be getting used to it. :eek:

My sister told her two boys it's car language, so they swear all together now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I have kids I'm going to lose half my vocabulary :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

I do this every morning, 5 days a week on my way into sligo and couldnt care less!

You are generally stuck behind some tool for miles doing 50mph and the line extends 5-10-15 cars back. If this method means i dont have to wait in line - great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Dabko wrote: »
    I do this every morning, 5 days a week on my way into sligo and couldnt care less!

You are generally stuck behind some tool for miles doing 50mph and the line extends 5-10-15 cars back. If this method means i dont have to wait in line - great.

So you'd rather break the law than wait in line for 2 minutes?

nice.

If I swore at you here, as I do when I'm driving - I'd be banned.

Logic eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

If I swore at you here, as I do when I'm driving - I'd be banned.

Logic eh?

I officially give you permission:) Maybe you shouldn't though!

It's so annoying when people do it, there is going to be a crash there some day.

The roundabout at Summerhill college isn't much better. People coming out of town in the direction of Cooloney who want to go to that hospital(Garden Hill?) have to go all the way around the roundabout and back into town.

To do this you must be in the right hand lane. I don't know how many times I have seen cars in the left hand lane go all the way around while there is a car right beside them in the right hand lane who is heading onto the Dual Carriageway. They come so close to hitting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair though.. this isn't a new development!

Drivers have been hogging the left-hand lane for years, regardless of the turn they're taking.

I call it "lazy-driver-syndrome" - the same syndrome which leaves drivers physically unable to use their indicators whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

basquille wrote: »
    To be fair though.. this isn't a new development!

Drivers have been hogging the left-hand lane for years, regardless of the turn they're taking.

I call it "lazy-driver-syndrome" - the same syndrome which leaves drivers physically unable to use their indicators whatsoever.

Except on the dual carriageways where the same fools are happy to stay on the right hand lane (overtaking lane) for the duration

You're right though it is laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

hee hee hee, me too.

I blame it on living in Dublin for 10 years!
    My favourite sport of not letting Mercedes drivers get out of their driveway is much more difficult down here though.
    The other one is 'kissing' at people when they shake their fist.....ah the good old days of Dublin 2002-2007:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

*POP*

That was a blood vessel..

I'll get ye bastids yet *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

[OT]

Sorry to be off-topic but just saw Gustavo's Alan Partridge quote in his sig... love it!

My favourite episode of Partridge! :D

[/OT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

As a new driver, that roundabout is like the worst rollercoaster.

Nobody indicates.
    Nobody is in the right lane - if indeed they are in a lane at all...

Nightmare. I would NOT like to have to drive it everyday.

Please, this roundabout is no exception. I've driven trucks all over this country and practically no one knows how to use a roundabout properly - NO ONE

I don't see it changing any time soon either. People either indicate left when approaching the junction when they are taking the second exit (?) or they are in the right lane when they are taking the first or second exit. (The right lane is only for taking the last exit on a roundabout)

I could always take solace in the fact that people would would be less inclined to act like plonkers when there is a 40ft Truck around

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Please, this roundabout is no exception. I've driven trucks all over this country and practically no one knows how to use a roundabout properly - NO ONE

Does that include you Big_Mac? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Have to totally agree on this....I use the road(N17/N4) daily and the amount of poor drivers is scary....

I hate when you've a slow driver in the righthand lane ie going 45km in the overtaking lane with nothing on the inside lane...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Have to totally agree on this....I use the road(N17/N4) daily and the amount of poor drivers is scary....

I hate when you've a slow driver in the righthand lane ie going 45km in the overtaking lane with nothing on the inside lane...

+1 specialy when they get upset after you under take them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 barr toco

The round about at the carraroe retail park is equelly as bad, Ive had countless close ones their, some peoples attitudes and ignorense at round abouts is wild, what about when you meet someone coming around in the wrong direction, i have seen this twice :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

barr toco wrote: »
    The round about at the carraroe retail park is equelly as bad, Ive had countless close ones their, some peoples attitudes and ignorense at round abouts is wild, what about when you meet someone coming around in the wrong direction, i have seen this twice :eek:

ha ha me too ....hopefully it wasn't us:pac:

Seen a couple of old dears completely ignore the roundabout and take a straight right around wrong way on roundabout..... big rush on them for Pizza Hut I think.

In fairness ... to all drivers....they don't get taught roundabouts on driving course, and they don't get taught night driving....unless that has come in very recently, I didn't do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Slidey wrote: »
    Following on from a post Here in the motors forum I want to put a thread here and hopefully it will get through to a few heads..

If you are traveling down the N17 heading for Sligo and you come to the N4/N17 roundabout in Cooloney and wish to turn left for Sligo town...

..............You CANNOT turn left at the roundabout if you are in the right hand.

This lane is for taking the 2nd exit for the new business park or the 3rd exit for Dublin.

Anyone is entitled and perfectly within the law to use the LHS lane for taking the 2nd exit also, and if you attempt to turn left from the RH lane and they go straight on the collision that occurs will be totally your fault...

/rant over

just to clarify, the Toberbride roundabout (where the N17 meets the N4) is NOT a standard roundabout. When approaching from the N17 the left hand lane is marked specifically for left turn ONLY. The right and lane is therefore the 2nd (Industrial estate) and 3rd (N4 east).

I travel from the N17 to Sligo every day and the number of almost collisions is unbelieveable.

Also, if anyone here knows the woman driving the silver jeep that turns right just before the turn off for Ballymote (heading south on N17) please can you tell her to LEARN TO DRIVE!!!! She's almost killed both myself and my husband on seperate evenings this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Does that include you Big_Mac? :D

Of course not Bobbo. As you know there are exception to every rule. In this case, I am the exception :D

Advertisement