Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Me a Light Portable Tripod

• 09-07-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi, I'm off on a bit of a boon doggle (down under) in the coming weeks and need a light portable tripod that won't break the bank. Any ideas...

Budget is approx €100......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Aldi or Lidl had one recently worth a look. I'd recommend Slik they range form €45 upwards. Another idea is buy a cheap one out there, that way you won't have worry about carrying it with you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You may want to have a read of this recent thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I spent nearly €400 on a tripod a few years ago and to be honest it's rarely used, my Gorillapod on the other hand get's used a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

aldi had one last week for 16 euro, i use it for my 450d and its sturdy enough to be honest for a cheap one.

If you're looking for a small portable one,Argos sells a nice one for €20 or so. It's only about waist height when it's extended so it mightn't suit you but it does fit in a backpack(just about! :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

If you want a lightweight tripod just so you can stand in the group shot with your friends, then by all means, go for the Aldi special.

If not, and you expect to use the tripod to hold the camera stable while you shoot long exposures or even not-so-long exposures - for the love of God do not buy one of the cheapo models. They are by and large too short for comfortable use and shake like a leaf if you look at them the wrong way.

I have an article on my website on how to choose a tripod (and why we use them in the first place): http://www.petercox.ie/tripod.php

Have a read of that. If you're looking for the cheapest tripod that's any good, I'd recommend the Manfrotto 190XPROB with the 486RC2 head (preferably, go for the 488RC4, although it's a few euro more).

That should set you back about €150 or so, and it's well worth the cash.

I'll say it again, the cheap €50 tripods are worthless for camera stability. If you want something lighter and less bulkier than the Manfrotto mentioned above, then go look at a Gorillapod.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement