Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Of the 3 neither. Golf is underpowered, MX5 lacks space and has 2 seats, that model S40 is ancient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Thanks for reply Tipsy Mac

Golf - Not too concerned with power, just as its cheap, reliable, nice car

Volvo s40 - maybe ancient but I have been looking around alot and this is the best one I cud find - low mileage, leather, nice alloys, good price etc

MX5 - I have same concern but its a nice car, convertible nd all.... cool

What would you recommend then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Single, looking for a fun drive....
    has to be the MX-5....
    yes it is limited on space, but such a great car to drive,
    very much a fun car and is miles ahead of the others in terms of FUN factor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Why did you choose an automatic golf? Manual a year newer and quicker for the same money LINK

Bear in mind, while you said on of the arguments for getting a golf was cheaper tax, this is not true. You were looking at diesel road tax on a 1.9 is €582 a year. The 1.8 petrol is €551 so it is not much different, however the running costs of a diesel would be lower.

EDIT: Agree completey with robtri, if your looking for a fun car to drive and maybe pull in ;) MX5 will do a better job than a Volvo or a diesel golf anyday

Thanks for the replies lads,

Greenfly - never said cheaper tax for golf, sorry what I meant by cheap, was cheap to run i.e. fuel - would get alot more MPG with diesel... just maintenance is supposed to be exp. I cud get a more powerful golf in petrol, but then tax is higher and fuel is higher !!!

Drove automatic in US last year and loved it, just hate when in traffic in Ireland (which is alot of the time) you have to keep movin up and down gears !!

MX5 Im leaning towards, just space may be an issue, wondering could I live with it based on its such a fun / cool car !! Yes hope the chicks like it aswell :) Not enough room for some car rompy neither :(

• Advertisement

Do ya like the alloys on this? Have tested this one and is nice just not too sure of alloys !!

http://www.s-bmotors.com/showroom.php

Its this one on page 3:

Mazda MX-5 ROADSTER 1.6 NEW ROOF 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Golf isnt expensive to service - well nothing more than any other car

I dont know the golf is expensive to service as a fact Im just basing this on Whatcar.com:

"Golfs aren’t cheap to service, but their overall reliability record suggests you won’t fork out that often for repairs"

But you will have to service at least once a year, nd even though they are reliable when buying secondhand you never know you may have to fork out for repairs so I want these to be cheap aswell, just in case !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

But you will have to service at least once a year, nd even though they are reliable when buying secondhand you never know you may have to fork out for repairs so I want these to be cheap aswell, just in case !!

Unless you are talking about going to a dealer for the service then a service is a service no matter what the make. eg garage charges 150 for a service. It doesnt matter if you have a golf or a focus.

Obviously if you pick a car with an auto box and it goes bang, you are in trouble but otherwise the golf will be comparable with other manufactures when it comes to repairs and servicing.

Fair enough....

Is an automatic more prone to faults than manual transmission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,301 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd take the Whatcar comments about the Golf with a pinch of salt. One thing the MkIV Golf is not known for and that is reliability. They have their fair share of recurring problems.

Advertisement