Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Element

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

hey
    have an immersion thats tripping the fuse switch, Im guessing the element is gone, its a regular insulated tank, element is fitted from the top of the tank, I know I can pick up and element and spanner in the builder providers and can rewire it easily enough but do I need to turn off the water, I mean if I remove the element from the top of the cyliner why would I need to?
    anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes you need to turn off the hot water tap in the hot press. because the weight of the water in the coldtank will push down and flood you hot press when you take out the element. Make sure its the tap above the cylider on the supply into it, As these are gate vales they usually still weep. To be safe just leave a hot tap in the kitchen bathroom open.

Be very careful taking out the element as many people have fcuked up there tanks doing this incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

As Joey said the header tank is higher then the cylinder and will force out water through the opening left when you take out the immersion.

If you can turn off the water feeding the cylinder (normally enters low down) and open a hot tap in the bathroom. If you cannot then turn off the main incoming water and turn on a hot tap to drain the header tank and take some water out of the cylinder.

Be careful removing the immersion as they get tight and the tank is thin. many people have twisted tanks removing or tightening immersions. I find light taps of the spanner with a mallet will do the job.

When putting it back make sure to use paste of PTFE thread on the threads of the immersion or it will leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

cheers for the info
    think I will just get a plummer in, sounds like the kinda job that could get messy quick :o

It is a job you will do yourself if your careful but personally if I was going to the trouble of actually fitting an immersion I would get a plumber cause by the time you buy the immersion,spanner,tape etc you would have half paid for the plumber with his trade discount.

An additional thing to consider would be buy a timer switch and fit it to the immersion so it can be timed. A lot of people dont consider this when doing the job.

Best of luck

ya the annooing thing is I just had the plummer fit the timer in there a month or 2 ago..typical huh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

tie up the ball valve run all the water out of the header tank using hot taps toilet ect remove emersion there will only be a cup full of water spill out replace untie ballvalve let in water for 2 or 3 minutes check for leaks and away you go

mp22 wrote: »
    tie up the ball valve run all the water out of the header tank using hot taps toilet ect remove emersion there will only be a cup full of water spill out replace untie ballvalve let in water for 2 or 3 minutes check for leaks and away you go

lol. would ya stop all he has to do is close the gate valve and open the hot tap. its not necessary to do acrobatics in the attic and this is not the hard part. The hard part is taking out the immersion correctly and fitting the new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

lol. would ya stop all he has to do is close the gate valve and open the hot tap. its not necessary to do acrobatics in the attic and this is not the hard part. The hard part is taking out the immersion correctly and fitting the new one.
    never bin in west cork then?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

thats just silly , drain the tank ,,, airlock the system . crap from the tank comming down the supplys .

ive worked in cork dont remember there being any special systems down there , why tie uo the ball valve ???? << damage the piston if it pulled up to hard and at very least bend the bar and increase the water in the tank and maybe cause it to overflow ................ do they not have isolation points on the mains water at lest on the street .

2nd year apprentice perhaps or industrial ??

mp22 wrote: »
    never bin in west cork then?:rolleyes:

You must be the only one so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Koolaboola

cheers for the info
    think I will just get a plummer in, sounds like the kinda job that could get messy quick :o
    Hi! How much did your plumber charge for fitting the new element? I've a quote of €130-150.

95 euro for element and fitting, also resealed top of cylinder, reckoned it had been changed before so when he tok out element there were pin hole leaks..seems fine now

can you please give me a name and number? Sounds good value to me. Cheers :))

guy is in Clare, Im only a few miles from him so other than that i dont think he would travel

tnx, €95 in Clare is ok, i'm in Dublin so would expect it to be more. C'est la vie :((

Koolaboola wrote: »
    tnx, €95 in Clare is ok, i'm in Dublin so would expect it to be more. C'est la vie :((

C'est tout! :D

Advertisement