Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broad Beans

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

It's the season for fresh broad beans and I can't get enough of them. (Go on, call me weird) :D

Anyway, would anybody have any interesting ideas or recipes that include these magnificent pulses? I'll try anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭Alun

smashey wrote: »
    It's the season for fresh broad beans and I can't get enough of them. (Go on, call me weird) :D
    OK, you're weird :D I have to say that I am pretty much an omnivore, I'll eat absolutely anything put in front of me, really, but broad beans are the work of the devil .. horrible, nasty things altogether. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ah Alun, you cut me to the bone there.

Seriously, I absolutely love them and even eat them straight from the pod. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Alun, you need to try them peeled twice. Boil the broadbean pod for about 15 minutes and drain, then pop the beans out of the pod and take off the tough outer greeny/grey skin from each bean. The result is a sweet tender bright green bean that is delicious with a little butter or stirred into a white risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Minder wrote: »
    Alun, you need to try them peeled twice. Boil the broadbean pod for about 15 minutes and drain, then pop the beans out of the pod and take off the tough outer greeny/grey skin from each bean. The result is a sweet tender bright green bean that is delicious with a little butter or stirred into a white risotto.
    Whenever I've had them in the past it was the flavour that I didn't like, an unpleasant bitter kind of taste. Maybe that was down to them not being peeled twice, I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The way minder has said is the best way to cook them.

They good insanely well with scallops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement