Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u grow grass?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,I'm another clueless gardener:confused:.. I had a bad lawn with very high trees.Trees & stumps are rooted out now and there's a layer of level-ish black topsoil down. What's da best thing to do now to grow grass? Some people have been saying grass seed, then sand. Other people r sayin no sand so I'm confused. I presume I'll have to keep the dog off it for a while too. Whats good seed to use? Thanks for any help:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Level the soil as best you can. Scatter the seed followed by a scattering of top soil. It should sprout in a couple of weeks. Leave it to grow to about 6/7cm before cutting.

Most garden centre seed is OK but there is a type that apparently has the seeds coated in something that promotes growth and acts as a deterrent to birds.

Grass is easy to grow. Keeping the weeds out is harder work!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

That sounds very do-able. Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Basic lawn seed (Utility Lawn) is usually a mix of different types of grass seeds to make it more durable.

As mentioned already try and get the ground as level as possible now.

I'm not sure whether your trees are completely gone now or not, if there are still tall trees you may need to water newly planted lawn a bit more because trees will stop rain getting on lawn.

I've often just scattered seed and not bothered with compost/topsoil on top and it's worked.

Anyway, you can always scatter more seed on bald/sparse patches at a later stage.

Dried Chicken Manure Pellets (large bucket €12.95) is a great feed for pretty much everything in the garden, I've scattered it on my lawn and it's great.. Stinky though!

Advertisement