Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one...?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Ok so, diet started last week and now its definitely going into overdrive...

When is it acceptable to ask someone when they are due?

Personally I think its when you definitely know they are pregant...Unlike what just happened to me! :( Thats the second time in this job thats happened to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

shivvyban wrote: »
    Ok so, diet started last week and now its definitely going into overdrive...

When is it acceptable to ask someone when they are due?

Personally I think its when you definitely know they are pregant...Unlike what just happened to me! :( Thats the second time in this job thats happened to me.

ouch :( *hugs*

definitely only ask when you KNOW theyre pregnant!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How ignorant!

I hope you cut them a new one so they won't be doing it to anyone again anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Silly but it can be an easy mistake to make, Im sure they were mortified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

Ummm, nope! He kinda didn't hear me and continued to tell me about the miracle of childbirth and how I should make sure my husband was there (also am not married!)... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ragana22

I never asking when she due even i know that she is pregnant..Always thought that its too personal question...But i meet very lot of peoples who look at me and saying-Oh,you poor thing...You must not eat very well...Ok,im with my 6 size skin and bones,but i eat!And dont need to tell me,that im starving :mad:
    These kind of situations comes when someone want to be just nice,but talking about things about he doesnt know nothing.

• Advertisement

Ragana22 wrote: »
    These kind of situations comes when someone want to be just nice,but talking about things about he doesnt know nothing.

I fully agree! I never say anything like that to anyone, for fear of embarrassing both them and me! I was mortofied!

I nearly preferred the time one of the regulars in the bar came up to me and told me I'd gained a lot of weight!

Hmmm, starting to see a pattern here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

shivvyban wrote: »
    Thats the second time in this job thats happened to me.

:D

To be honest people should be very careful with this and I sometimes found myself in the situation where I was going to make a helpful comment and then I thought 'Oh my god, but was if she isn't pregnant at all', so I didn't say anything. And on one occasion I was right and thank god I didn't say anything.

But it's after all clearly an indicator that maybe you either take this dieting seriously or else you decide to not give a dam and simply laugh when this happens...

realcam wrote: »
    :D
    But it's after all clearly an indicator that maybe you either take this dieting seriously or else you decide to not give a dam and simply laugh when this happens...

Or both? :)

I'm calmer now but more annoyed that he did it right before lunch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

How about people shouldnt just not comment on other peoples appearence at all, its got absolutely nothing to do with anyone else unless its effecting your job performance. And also only acceptable when your family and friends are commenting on your due to concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I always liked the bit in American Dad when Francine was a real estate agent.

Francine: This is a wonderful starter home. I've been saving it for a couple just like you.

Woman: Pretty soon, we're gonna be more than a couple.

Francine: Oh, congratulations! I just thought you were fat.

Woman: We're adopting.

• Advertisement

Thats what I love about you Mr. Fudge, your sensitivity! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I was told yesterday by a guy in work he thought "I was getting fat again." Again???!!!

And a few weeks ago a patient said I had a big bum!

Lucky I like my food too much to start having an eating disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Don't think you should ever ask unless absolutely certain that the lady in question is pregnant.

Was in a bar on a quiet Sunday evening a few months ago and a waitress with a gargantuan belly came down with a heavy tray of drinks. I said there really was no need, she should have called me over and I would have collected them myself. I said to her it must be any day now surely? "Any day what?" she retorted I said the little one must be due to make an appearance any day? "I'm not pregnant" she replied and eyeballed me.....well cue tumbleweed moment and random whistling and eye-rolling....NEVER again, was mortified:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Ouch it's not acceptable to ask unless you know for definite they're expecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

god there was this really ignorant fella that used work with us and he asked the secretary was she pregnant, clearly she was just overweight. but she said no and went red! granted she was a thundering bitch but there was no need for what he said after that..... ill never forget it.... "you'd want to start powerwalking" and then laughed it off as a joke!

i actually cringed and left the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

god there was this really ignorant fella that used work with us and he asked the secretary was she pregnant, clearly she was just overweight. but she said no and went red! granted she was a thundering bitch but there was no need for what he said after that..... ill never forget it.... "you'd want to start powerwalking" and then laughed it off as a joke!

i actually cringed and left the office!

:eek:

some people are completely tactless.

I have an overactive bladder and sometimes I lie and say I'm a couple months pregnant if shops won't let me use their toilets.

Advertisement