Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to 3V for under 18s

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm 17. To buy items online I am required to use 3V as I do not have a Credit Card.

Whereas 3V is, in theory, a good idea (it's like buying credit for a phone and getting it deducted as you buy), anyone who has had the misfortune of using it knows that it is far from ideal (e.g only buying in €10 amounts etc.)

Are there any alternatives for people who are under 18? There is no possible way that I (being 17) could get a credit card? I know all the risks involved with Credit Cards and I 100% certain that I would not get into any trouble with them (I would only spend money I know that I can pay off on time).

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

basquille wrote: »

How do you transfer funds into a Wirecard account? It seems the only options are Credit Card or Bank A/C (I do not have a Bank Current a/c - just Post Office and Credit Union Deposit A/Cs).

jc2008 wrote: »
    How do you transfer funds into a Wirecard account? It seems the only options are Credit Card or Bank A/C (I do not have a Bank Current a/c - just Post Office and Credit Union Deposit A/Cs).
    Yeah, bank account or credit card.

You're a bit limited with options if you've just a Post Office & Credit Union AC.

EDIT: What about Ukash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

What's stopping you from getting a 3V card ? Lie and say you're 18 or are shops asking for ID when buying vouchers ?

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    What's stopping you from getting a 3V card ? Lie and say you're 18 or are shops asking for ID when buying vouchers ?
    I think he buys them as is.. but finds them awkward (and they are):
    Whereas 3V is, in theory, a good idea (it's like buying credit for a phone and getting it deducted as you buy), anyone who has had the misfortune of using it knows that it is far from ideal (e.g only buying in €10 amounts etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

I heard that the Post Office have a Current A/C - it's called PostBank 'Everyday Account'

https://www.postbank.ie/portal/start.asp

How does this work? If I oppened a postbank a/c would that give me more options for purchasing goods online?
    I know you need to be 18 to apply for a PostBank credit card but you only have to be 16 to open an Everyday PostBank Account (minus the overdraft feature afaik). Would this give me more options for purchasing online (e.g. transferring funds to a Wirecard account)?

Thanks for reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

basquille wrote: »
    I think he buys them as is.. but finds them awkward (and they are):

Oh right... ahh, yeah 3V is limiting alright. I had a look at a few threads about the alternatives before and them other cards have % charges and all sorts of other confusing charges. Just not worth it I don't think. I don't buy online much but when I do I usually round it out to the nearest tener so I don't get stuck with a few stray quid.

Shame Laser isn't accepted on sites outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to banking

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Another option is pre-paid cards - something like the Payzone Mastercard. Check that your happy with the charges beforehand though!

www.payzonemoney.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Ulster Bank Adapt account gives you a debit card but at the minute its a Laser / Maestro card but by end of September you will be able to get a Visa branded debit card and these are accepted on most web sites. If you have a Laser card from Ulster Bank now, wait until their website Ulster Bank.ie starts referring to their Visa debit card and ask your branch to replace your card. Also they have no charge for getting a replacement card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement