Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-wrestling tabletop games

Options
  • 09-07-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm in the early stages of writing a pro wrestling card-based tabletop game. (I've refined the mechanics of how matches will go and character development, but a lot more work is needed to give a good spectrum of moves - then there's playtesting.)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any similar games out there allowing people to create notional wrestlers and pit them against their friends' characters. Any opinions as to whether they're any use would also be welcome!

Also, I'd be keen to hear the opinions of posters here as to how well the game itself would sell. If you could get the basic package, professionally produced, for a tenner or so, would you be tempted to try it out?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

geeky wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm in the early stages of writing a pro wrestling card-based tabletop game. (I've refined the mechanics of how matches will go and character development, but a lot more work is needed to give a good spectrum of moves - then there's playtesting.)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any similar games out there allowing people to create notional wrestlers and pit them against their friends' characters. Any opinions as to whether they're any use would also be welcome!

Also, I'd be keen to hear the opinions of posters here as to how well the game itself would sell. If you could get the basic package, professionally produced, for a tenner or so, would you be tempted to try it out?

hard to say without more details but im sure youd be reluctant to give them out as you have not got your idea to market yet, im thinking a WWE style magic the gathering type game.

i.e ive now got 3 ppvs under my belt so i can use them to start booking The Big show (that i just got into my hand on the last draw from the deck) in matches and i will use him to invade your promotion... which wrestlers do you have to defend your brand in a match against him or will you have to take a ratings hit (if your ratings drop below a certain amount you get knocked out of the game).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

hard to say without more details but im sure youd be reluctant to give them out as you have not got your idea to market yet, im thinking a WWE style magic the gathering type game.

i.e ive now got 3 ppvs under my belt so i can use them to start booking The Big show (that i just got into my hand on the last draw from the deck) in matches and i will use him to invade your promotion... which wrestlers do you have to defend your brand in a match against him or will you have to take a ratings hit (if your ratings drop below a certain amount you get knocked out of the game).

My concept is a bit different to that - I'm writing it based around an individual wrestler's abilities and development over time. ie - I've got 4 speed and 9 strength: therefore, I'm going use 'power' moves that will put your quick-but-weak character at a disadvantage.

I'd like to incorporate rules for bookers/promoters as a sort of GM role, but I'm imagining that as an advanced addition to the initial set of rules. It's quite challenging to figure out how to do that while keeping the game robust and easily playable. Initially, I'm trying to create a game that can be played by a smart-enough 12 year-old while still posing strategic challenges to adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just use the Warhammer template and switch the charectors in that to developmental wrestlers.

The thing as I see it with this is that if you are planning to market it in the future is that it would be a non runner without recognised wrestlers in it.

Unless you've got a few million to pay for licensing then TBH I dont fancy your chances.

I couldnt see many people outside hardcore fans buying it and there arent that many of them left in that age demographic.

How many people do you know that play non electronic RPGs?

I played warhammer for a number of years but I was aged 10 to 14 or so.I now have zilcho squilcho interest in anything like that.Im 30 BTW.

Best of luck with it if you do decide to go ahead with the project though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Best of luck with your project man, sounds very interesting indeed.

Gaming is pretty big business in Ireland (Gaelcon is coming up next month for exaple, a full weekend event whic gets thousands of visitors). I would iagine your best bet would be to talk to wrestling folks about the wrestling side of things but when it comes to the in-game mechanics you should talk to members of the gaming community. I'm not involved in gaming myself, bu I know a few people who are and might be able to point you in the right direction for people to ask advice from etc if you like?

Good luck with it again either way, I'd certainly be interested in trying out any versions you come out with and definitely volunteer to help you with any play-testing sessions you put together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Cheers for the mixed responses! I'm fairly into gaming too, so I'd be familiar with the WH system - TBH, I'm looking at going a different way in how the game will work.

And I may yet take people up on offers to playtest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good look to ya bai, I'm always glad to see a lad getting off his hole and doing something off his own back.

Advertisement