Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Ministers Disrespect for Our Countries Culture & Heritgae

Options
  • 09-07-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Nelson Mcausland -The Northern Ireland "Cultural Minister" is in the papers today for showing his aparnet lack of respect for the catholic church gaa and irish language. He has previuosly mentioned that Northern Ireland is not a celtic country.
    Id like to hear what people have to say on him and the northen goverments position on promoting the irish language and culture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Country's

Think you will have to link to the article, or paste it in to give us a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I am furious so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cjoe

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/letters/ministerrsquos-hostility-to-irish-is-dispiriting-14389151.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0709/breaking38.htm

I think its a disgrace.
    I honestly cannot believe this man is a cultural minister.
    The irish language especially is growing i feel in the republic but the likes of him will put the breaks on any development of it in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,257 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cjoe wrote: »
    Nelson Mcausland -The Northern Ireland "Cultural Minister" is in the papers today for showing his aparnet lack of respect for the catholic church gaa and irish language. He has previuosly mentioned that Northern Ireland is not a celtic country.
    Id like to hear what people have to say on him and the northen goverments position on promoting the irish language and culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8141550.stm
    "I would not attend a service in a Roman Catholic church,"
    Nothing wrong with that if you ask me (and me being a priest)
    The Ulster-Scots enthusiast told the BBC his knowledge of the Irish language would "probably remain somewhat limited".
    "I always take the view that just because somebody can say a few words in any language, it doesn't mean they've got any great knowledge of it," he said.
    "I'm living at present in a cul-de-sac but it doesn't mean I'm fluent in French."
    Good point
    Mr McCausland said he did not know Tyrone were the Gaelic football champions, adding that neither did he know who the Northern Ireland champions were in squash or lacrosse
    Another good point, I'd say most nationalist politicians in the North don't know who the Irish hockey, cricket or rugby champions are

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

* Angry Noises *

• Advertisement

"I always take the view that just because somebody can say a few words in any language, it doesn't mean they've got any great knowledge of it," he said.

I believe he is trying to disregard the language with this comment
    The majority of irish people cant speak irish fluently and only have a few words of it. But that does not mean we arent interested in learning it. The amount of people in-rolling into irish courses is huge theses days. There is a genuine interest in it.
    It seems to me that he may use this lack of "knowledge" of the language to not do anything about promoting it in the north.

On his comment about not going to a Roman Catholic church service, I would like to think he being a minister in the north would say in the event where a major public figure died and was catholic he may pay his respects at a catholic church.
    The presisdent did this a few years (in going to a prtestant church service i beileve) back and i do beileve it does only good in the public eye.

I believe he is trying to disregard the language with this comment

I think you are trying to disregard the English language with your spelling and grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

To be fair, he can't piss off the right god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill, at the end of the day the irish republics ministers have been insulting british culture or in some cases banning for over 80 years,some parts of ireland even football in schools is banned because, quote; its a hated english sport. unlike southern ireland ,irish is not compulsory in schools.

I think you are trying to disregard the English language with your spelling and grammar

Do you need help reading every sentence?
    "the language" I am on about is obvisouly the Irish language.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    i think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill, at the end of the day the irish republics ministers have been insulting british culture or in some cases banning for over 80 years,some parts of ireland even football in schools is banned because, quote; its a hated english sport. unlike southern ireland ,irish is not compulsory in schools.

We are talking about a cultural minister in a fragile dual goverment trying to bridge the gap with each other. Not Johnny republican prinicpal of a school out the countryside who wont let lads kick the ball off the wall.
    And the gaa over turned their long standing rule on the british forces.

He is THE main person in charge of promoting culture in the north and the first thnig he does is launch an orange order parade. He then goes to a gaelteacht and passes the comment "just because somebody can say a few words in any language doesn’t mean they have any knowledge of it"
    Talk about giving the two fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

We are talking about a cultural minister in a fragile dual goverment trying to bridge the gap with each other. Not Johnny republican prinicpal of a school out the countryside who wont let lads kick the ball off the wall.

He is THE main person in charge of promoting culture in the north and the first thnig he does is launch an orange order parade. He then goes to a gaelteacht and passes the comment "just because somebody can say a few words in any language doesn’t mean they have any knowledge of it"
    i wouldent take much notice of him ,he is just another northern irish minister playing to the vote,the big danger is if he tried to make the scottish celtic language compulsory in schools in the north,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What did you expect. Gregory Campbell possibly the greatest racist sectarian tool has just left the same post.

After the European elections, it was always gonna be a hardliner. It is a highly volatile position in the North. Unionists consider Irish language culture and people as the enemy.

Its sad i know but hopefully someday, politics will mean more than us v You up North. Maybe what the peopl want will matter.

An Irish Language Act is needed up there, if for nothing else but that we can move onto the next issue.

Do you not thing a republican politician would do the same ?

i.e go open a GAA club and then on the next engagement say that he/she does not believe that Ulster-Scots is actually a language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think whats worse is that Unionists expect people in the south to have respect for their culture and traditions while openly being hostile to ours.

Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

i.e go open a GAA club and then on the next engagement say that he/she does not believe that Ulster-Scots is actually a language.

I do believe they would yes.
    But I dont expect this from the main minister for culture in the north. Republican or unionist. I wouldnt give a crap about him if he was another DUP local politican passing these types of comments but since he has such a signifacnt poistion now it does bother me that he may have a very negetive impact on irish culture in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

What you must realise is that this is intentional.

Pettiness, snarky comments and calculated insults are actual DUP policy. It's a strategy to win votes firstly and secondly its aim is to perpetuate division.

This is why a politician such as Gregory Campbell chose to put out a statement congratulating Tyrone on their success in an "international" sports competition when they won the All-Ireland. He knew the statement would offend many, and he knew he'd get the opportunity to piss off more people when he was asked to explain his statement.

The same minister maintains a running commentary on issues relating to Scottish soccer and the Old Firm.

When it comes to Irish it would straight forward enough them to oppose its official use but that wouldn't nearly offend enough from their point of view. Instead they attempt to mock the language in a manner that would be embarrassing in a school yard – let alone in Stormont Parliament. (I say attempt to mock, as I don't think grown men with red cheeks and Gaelic surnames mocking the Irish language really succeeds in being anything other then self ridicule.)

It's important to see such comments for what they are and realise that there's no need to rise to the bait or respond in kind. The DUP want to perpetuate division and bigotry in Irish society, we shouldn't be so foolish as to play "our" part in their play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Anything against the GAA or Irish language shows poor judgment and insensitive to the feelings of half of the people he is supposed to represent as well as to us in the republic. His religious statements show him to be a dangerous protestant fanatic who is convinced of the truth and superiority of his own religion.

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    What you must realise is that this is intentional.

Pettiness, snarky comments and calculated insults are actual DUP policy. It's a strategy to win votes firstly and secondly its aim is to perpetuate division.

This is why a politician such as Jeffery Donaldson chose to put out a statement congratulating Tyrone on their success in an "international" sports competition when they won the All-Ireland. He knew the statement would offend many, and he knew he'd get the opportunity to piss off more people when he was asked to explain his statement.

The same minister maintains a running commentary on issues relating to Scottish soccer and the Old Firm.

When it comes to Irish it would straight forward enough them to oppose its official use but that wouldn't nearly offend enough from their point of view. Instead they attempt to mock the language in a manner that would be embarrassing in a school yard – let alone in Stormont Parliament. (I say attempt to mock, as I don't think grown men with red cheeks and Gaelic surnames mocking the Irish language really succeeds in being anything other then self ridicule.)

It's important to see such comments for what they are and realise that there's no need to rise to the bait or respond in kind. The DUP want to perpetuate division and bigotry in Irish society, we shouldn't be so foolish as to play "our" part in their play.

Thats a very fair point. The reason i get annoyed is because what potential negative influence would this guy have on irish culture in the north. Is he going to embrace it and accept it as the main culture of the north and the entire island or try and push his less supported unionist orange order culture?

Anything against the GAA or Irish language shows poor judgment and insensitivity to the feelings of half of the people he is supposed to represent as well as to us in the republic. His religious statements show him to be a dangerous protestant fanatic who is convinced of the truth and superiority of his own religion.

Very true. It seems to me that the majority of people on here are of the opinion that this guy is ignorant to everything but his own beliefs. I think we need to show more support in the republic for people in northen ireland when it comes to issues like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

many unionists and especially DUP supporters define themselves by thier disdain for all things gaelic , the same pettiness is not near as evident on the nationalist or republican side , ive no time for shinners but DUP people are arseholes , ive met thier ilk while overseas , obtuse , untrusting , cynical , humourless and rude , straight talking , yes but thiers honest and thier is brutally honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tbh, most of my in-laws hate the GAA, hate irish and would only go into a Catholic Church kicking and screaming.

What's the point in getting all outraged because some prick in the NI assembley is too ignorant to learn a bit of irish or go into a catholic church, you're only playing into his hands. I'm more worried about the blatent lack of respect our own ministers and TDs have for the citizens down here than i am about the maddos up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Well i reckon Donegal Gaelteachts will be flooding with nationalist kids from the north in the coming years. Hopefully they will grow bonds with there southern compatriots.

The county hurling teams from the south actively support the weaker counties in the North. There is some support from the south. I think Northern Nationalists need to organise themselves, have fund raisers to support Irish classes in there community etc. Should be done down here aswell. If one kid attended it would be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

tbh, most of my in-laws hate the GAA, hate irish and would only go into a Catholic Church kicking and screaming.

What's the point in getting all outraged because some prick in the NI assembley is too ignorant to learn a bit of irish or go into a catholic church, you're only playing into his hands. I'm more worried about the blatent lack of respect our own ministers and TDs have for the citizens down here than i am about the maddos up north.

No point in getting outraged true. And people shouldnt feel humiliated by this gentlemans comments.

It is a significant indicator as previously posted that the DUP policy is to cause division either as a strategy or as a vote winner. His appointment cant mean anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I don't like Irish or the GAA, and I have nothing but contempt for the Catholic church, but I'm not a cultural minister. My views would make me an extremely poor choice for that post even assuming I kept them to myself, but this guy is being downright arrogant in a situation where respect and humility are essential. I find his statements outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Well i'm not a sports fan full stop TBH

The Catholic church has absolutely feck all to do with "Irish Heritage" either TBH..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Another good point, I'd say most nationalist politicians in the North don't know who the Irish hockey, cricket or rugby champions are

But you'd expect the cultural minister to know these things.

Personally, I have no interest in Hurling or Gaelic football. But as two of the most popular sports in NI, the NI cultural minister should know about them. He doesn't have to learn any Irish. But he needs to have respect for all Culture in NI, not just Protestant culture (which actually includes Irish anyway).

The previous DUP ministers for culture have been quite good at representing everyone. But Nelson McCausland has not made a good start.

EDIT: Although I notice that he's visited the Gaeltacht in Donegal so maybe he's making an effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

A Protestant protests against The RC church - any 'Protestant' who doesn't is a fraud.

As for The Irish language, it has absolutely no relevance in modern Northern Ireland. If people want to learn it, fine - but there should be no governmental promotion of it in any area, except allowing it to be taught as a school subject.

futurehope wrote: »
    A Protestant protests against The RC church - any 'Protestant' who doesn't is a fraud.

As for The Irish language, it has absolutely no relevance in modern Northern Ireland. If people want to learn it, fine - but there should be no governmental promotion of it in any area, except allowing it to be taught as a school subject.

Have you read my point earlier? I dont want to see him going to sunday mass in a catholic church and i dont care if he doesnt agree with the RC church. But as a minister in the north, he could show a little bit of cop on and realise that by saying he would never attend a catholic service he is driving a further sectarian wedge into the people of the north. There is nothing wrong with a protestant going to a catholic service to, say for instance, pay their respects at a catholic funeral. But he is making out its a bad thing to do.

How does Irish have no relevance in modern northern ireland? Have you forgotten that there are actually Irish people living there who might want to learn their native tongue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

getz wrote: »
    i wouldent take much notice of him ,he is just another northern irish minister playing to the vote,the big danger is if he tried to make the scottish celtic language compulsory in schools in the north,

Even if he is playing to the vote that in itself is of huge concern, that he would have to resort to denigrating the other dominant culture of the North says a lot about the sectarian nature still present in Northern politics.

Advertisement