Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Ministers Disrespect for Our Countries Culture & Heritgae

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cjoe

Even if he is playing to the vote that in itself is of huge concern, that he would have to resort to denigrating the other dominant culture of the North says a lot about the sectarian nature still present in Northern politics.

Exactly.
    People seem to forget the signifcance of these comments he is making. He is a minister who is in daily national news and media and he is putting these ignorant disrespectful comments about irish culture for all to hear and pick up.
    I know people have mentioned that they want you to get annoyed but holy **** its just crazy that they are still backing guys like him. It doesnt look to me that the north will be moving much further with his kind in power.
    I would really like to see a southern irish party push up north. See if they can shift them out of this tunnel vision they still obviously have. Both republican and unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well he was at a North South Ministerial meeting in Gweedore yesterday, and is saying something different now.
    NEWLY appointed DUP minister Nelson McCausland, who sparked controversy when he said he would never attend an event in a Catholic church, was in the Donegal Gaeltacht yesterday to discuss canals on his first cross-border engagement.

The controversial Culture, Arts and Leisure minister also raised hackles when he admitted he had no interest in GAA and did not know Tyrone were the current All Ireland Senior Football Champions.

Mr McCausland was in Gweedore with fellow MLA and MP Caitriona Ruane and Eamon O Cuiv for a meeting of the North-South Ministerial Council.

Speaking on the eve of his visit, he indicated he would not attend a service in Roman Catholic Church during his time in office. "I have personal views regarding worship and I would not attend a service in a Roman Catholic Church. This has always been my position and remains such. That does not mean I do not have good relationships with Roman Catholic people," he said.

His comments prompted swift reaction from members of the nationalist and republican communities.

But speaking after yesterday's meeting, which focused on Inland Waterways, he stressed the importance of equality and diversity.

"I am here to do business and that business has been done. The days of differentials and disadvantage are gone. There has to be equality and we will pursue that agenda of equality," he said.

Mr O Cuiv, who described the meeting as very cordial, said he found Mr McCausland to be "very personable".

"I know he has very strong views and is passionate about the Ulster Scots heritage, and I am looking forward to having a very good working relationship with him," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

Cjoe said:
    Have you read my point earlier? I dont want to see him going to sunday mass in a catholic church and i dont care if he doesnt agree with the RC church. But as a minister in the north, he could show a little bit of cop on and realise that by saying he would never attend a catholic service he is driving a further sectarian wedge into the people of the north. There is nothing wrong with a protestant going to a catholic service to, say for instance, pay their respects at a catholic funeral. But he is making out its a bad thing to do.

You want him to be a hypocrite. Perhaps hypocrisy is a virtue - what's your opinion on it?
    How does Irish have no relevance in modern northern ireland? Have you forgotten that there are actually Irish people living there who might want to learn their native tongue?

Who the hell is stopping them?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

futurehope wrote: »

As for The Irish language, it has absolutely no relevance in modern Northern Ireland. If people want to learn it, fine - but there should be no governmental promotion of it in any area, except allowing it to be taught as a school subject.

*sigh* :( - words would be lost on that view tbh

Advertisement