Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90 vs Nikon D5000

• 09-07-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

So I sent my D40 off to the SLR centre in Meath and its going to cost 181 euro to get it fixed. I would nearly buy a new D40 for that! Therefore im thinking of buying a new camera.
    Both the D90 and D5000 look good. The D90 is about 115 euro dearer so I was wondering what its advantages are over the D5000 (other that video mode which I dont think is a major selling point for me)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

The D5000 has the same video mode as the D90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    The D5000 has the same video mode as the D90

But the d90 has better image quality (apparently)

d90 all the way!!

Crispin wrote: »
    But the d90 has better image quality (apparently)

d90 all the way!!

I was just saying they has the same video mode. I'd recommend the D90 too, faster, better built, D300 in a smaller body

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The D90 also has the in body AF Motor, which is not in the D40/60/5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

haven't done the research like those above, but I love my D90. :D
    Recommend it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    I was just saying they has the same video mode. I'd recommend the D90 too, faster, better built, D300 in a smaller body

sorry, didn't intend to sound snappy :)

Crispin wrote: »
    sorry, didn't intend to sound snappy :)

No problem:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,505 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

D5000 has that swivel screen but as it's an SLR you'd very rarely use it. I have a D90 and hardly ever use the screen except for playback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

for the lens motor thing, d90 is the better bet by far, lots more choices of lenses and more s/h ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Cheers for the responses.
    Didnt realize the D5000 had the same video mode, should of done a bit more reading :)
    I have an 18-200mm Nikon lens (bought it to work with my D40), will this lens work on a D90 or will the inbuilt autofocus motor mess things up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The inbuilt motor should work ok. Personally i'd go for the d90. Its very close in image quality to the d300 and will have a better build quality to the d5000 and has a pentaprism! No contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Screen quality on D90 is much higher too. Plus as mentioned before better built. Also pentaprism v pentamirror viewfinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Ok looks like the D90 will be my choice, when I get the money :(
    The cheapest i can find it online is Wilkinson or Calumet for £649 (€754).
    Anyone ever order off either of these? Anyone know of somewhere cheaper?
    I know there was a post here a while back where someone was going to buy a D90 in Heathrow and as far as I remember it was a pretty good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

First post :-)
    I bought a D5000 off Calumet yesterday! They're very approachable and helpful, but I'm not sure what their online service is like as I'm in the UK at the moment and bought it off them in person.
    As for the D5000, the first 24 hours has gone very well! Can't compare it to the D90 though as I've never used one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

D90......... thats it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I went from a D40 to a D90 and coundn't be happier. The quality of pictures are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

Always good to have lots of info ...

Nikon D5000 Service advisory

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeyvw

I'm currently trying to sell my D90 kit if your interested?
    Maybe we could work out a deal?
    Regards
    Joseph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fatale80

Hi I saw your message and i'm wondering if you still have d90 for sale. Please let me know

thanks

joeyvw wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to sell my D90 kit if your interested?
    Maybe we could work out a deal?
    Regards
    Joseph

Advertisement