Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blasphemy bill passed in Dail :O

• 09-07-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Never saw it coming

http://blasphemy.ie
    Filed under: Irish Law, Irish Politics — Michael Nugent @ 9:53 am
    The Defamation Bill is scheduled for debate in the Dail tomorrow morning, Wednesday 8 July. The debate for the entire Bill is restricted to one hour or less. This means that there will be little or no time to properly discuss the blasphemy sections.

Here is the full wording of the blasphemy sections, and the amendments that are being proposed to them. Please contact your TDs today and ask them to vote for amendments number 22 and 26, which would delete the blasphemy sections from the Bill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

About Bleedin' Whoring Titty-****ing Jesusing time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We will get locked up for cursing. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

doesn't it make you proud to be irish? we must be the only country in the world still missing the dark ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh my GO.....uhhh. What does this mean for boards.ie?

Crazy Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorists -1, Ireland -0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh my GO.....uhhh. What does this mean for boards.ie?

It will probably remain as **** yet addictive as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On saturday in Wynn's hotel there's a public meeting organised by Michael Nugent. They're apparently going to make a statement designed to be offensive to as many religions as possible to test the law.

They've even come up with a religion themselves so it can get offended. It's called Dermotology and they worship Dermot Ahern :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the church got its way,now in ireland you will not be able tell the truth about the role they had in covering up their crimes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Would you really expect anything from our politicians?

If theres a bad decision to be made you can be sure they'll make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does this mean we can't moan about Biffo anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dermot Ahern is actually making mcDowell look like he had a clue as minister for justice which should tell us what an utter f**kwit he is. Religious nut jobs get to rape kids with impunity and we can't even call them names, way to f***ing go ireland. And remember yee lot voted these sh**ehawks in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Islam is the biggest threat to the world since Naziism.

IBTB- in before the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

ffs:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Pfft! How can you have a score of minus one? Or minus none?

And since when did the Crazy Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorists take part in the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Freedom of speech is protected by Article 40.6.1 of the Irish constitution. However the article qualifies this right, providing that it may not be used to undermine "public order or morality or the authority of the State". Furthermore, the constitution explicitly requires that the publication of "blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter" be a criminal offence (although in practice this isn't used).

Is it really that surprising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    ffs:mad:
    agreed:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

To paraphrase South Park "Oh my God, they killed free speech," "you bastards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Holy dog sh1t Batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Jehoba Jehoba Jehoba!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Pfft! How can you have a score of minus one? Or minus none?

And since when did the Crazy Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorists take part in the World Cup?

Dammit. I was going to use > or : but didn't think anyone would say it. Damn you to hell* and your nitpicking Earthorse. I'm surprised but not shocked.

-0 is lower mezzanine floor.

*Are we still allowed to blaspheme the divil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its now my mission in life to cause as much offence as possible to every religious order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Ah for Christs sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Jesus christ have we not more pressing matters going on at the minute....for gods sake.

Its now my mission in life to cause as much offence as possible to every religious order

Well whatever you say from now on will be a ticking time-bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Jesus christ have we not more pressing matters going on at the minute....for gods sake.

*Calls the gardai*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

• Article 40.6.1 guarantees the right of citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions subject to public order and morality. It then restricts this right by saying that says that “The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.”

Right,does this mean that the likes of the recent Ryan report cant & wont happen again & priests can go back to getting away with abuse? I really don't (or hope I don't) understand the highlighted part!

Dammit. I was going to use > or : but didn't think anyone would say it. Damn you to hell* and your nitpicking Earthorse. I'm surprised but not shocked.

Dang. I was hoping for disappointed.

Dang. I was hoping for disappointed.

I could try saddened at best. Disappointed is for horses :pac:

I could try saddened at best. Disappointed is for horses :pac:

Well, I was going to point out the fact that you left out the second "h" in Earthhorse but it's not like everyone else doesn't do it for God's sake!
    Earthhorse wrote:
    Well, I was going to point out the fact that you left out the second "h" in Earthhorse but it's not like everyone else doesn't do it for God's sake!

Oh Gawd, I didn't mean that, please don't sue me for blasphemy.
    Earthhorse wrote:
    Oh Gawd, I didn't mean that, please don't sue me for blasphemy.

Oh Jesus, I did it again.
    Earthhorse wrote:
    Oh Jesus, I did it again.

Oh Christ, I can't stop blaspheming!

It's easy once you get the hang of it kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

36. Publication or utterance of blasphemous matter.

(1) A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €100,000.

(2) For the purposes of this section, a person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if (a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and (b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.

(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.
    A possible €100,000 fine? I'm actually speechless. What kind of horseshít is this they're bringing in? Why haven't they been shot yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If i reveal myself as a prophet and found my own religion does that mean anyone who insults me or call me crazy can be arrested because i would be up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

FFS.
    Trapatoni really needs to go now.

Edit:
    ^I see this gag's been done by good ol' Earthhorse.
    Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Ha ha Ireland! You thought you were modern, enlightened and forward looking! Suckers! Welcome to the inquisition! Witch burning on the right, false prophet stoning on the left and crusifixion straight down the middle, please form an orderly queue! Torches, pitchforks, nails and loose rubble provided with ticket purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    On saturday in Wynn's hotel there's a public meeting organised by Michael Nugent. They're apparently going to make a statement designed to be offensive to as many religions as possible to test the law.

They've even come up with a religion themselves so it can get offended. It's called Dermotology and they worship Dermot Ahern :D
    What a waste of time. That Michael Nugent is an awful attention seeking twat

tech77 wrote: »
    FFS.
    Trapatoni really needs to go now.

Edit:
    ^I see this gag's been done by good ol' Earthhorse.
    Sorry.

It's cool.

Yours was better anyway.

• Advertisement

It's cool.

Yours was better anyway.

Yeah. But if you didn't say anything, I would not have ended up looking for the disappointed horse. And I can truly say that horse really does look disappointed. Which is what I feel now after hearing this bill has been passed.

Yeah. But if you didn't say anything, I would not have ended up looking for the disappointed horse. And I can truly say that horse really does look disappointed. Which is what I feel now after hearing this bill has been passed.

Well, at least some good has come of this debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

No one expects The Spanish Inquisition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

well **** the buddha with an oily dildo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Does this mean **** is illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Quint wrote: »
    Does this mean **** is illegal?

**** is never illegal. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

blaspheme - Things said against the Church or God; To commit blasphemy; to speak against God or religious doctrine.

This is one law I will never obey. It is to protect the pedos sitting in the church... A complete and utter shambles of a law.

We find out something serious is wrong, then make a law to stop people talking about it... good fcuking game Ireland...

The church and rot and burn in the pits of hell...

I could understand that this law could be published to protect religions and churches from attack when it is not justified... but the like of the ryan report? Fcuk that...

I hope this country, and all the scum (politicians) BURNS... I hate this hell hole even more day by day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Well, that's the end of the ole "Jesus, Mohammad and Budda walk into a bar" jokes...

Will boards have to be censored now? Bet the mods are relishing that thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This is actually the last Fucking straw..

If this goes through I am leaving this country for good.

I'm trying to control myself right now from writing a ten page rant on how god damn retarded this is.

Somebody said this to me the other day and I honestly thought they were joking??

:mad::mad::mad: I'm so angry at the exact opposite of forward thinking in this country.

AARRGHH... it's just so Fucking ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i would like to know who is really behind this Bill

who is pulling the strings

is there a TD who perhaps belongs to a extreme right wing conservative catholic
    organisation???

questions questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This is the worst thing ever. I'm actually shocked beyond words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

the country is turning into such a joke and the laughing stock of Europe, not to mention what a waste of time it is for our TD's!

Disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

What an absolute joke of bill. Who honestly thought this was a great idea and was really needed now ?

F*cking idiots that's who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So hang on, has it gone through?

Just to clear up, blasphemy is now illegal?

If that is the case i'm outta the this country.

It's just a matter of time before the US come storming in to "Liberate" us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I'm going to go and do some research about the background of this bill,
    For the sole reason that if I bump into the person whose fault this is in the street,
    I want to know what they look like so I can punch them in the face. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement