Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a flat

Options
  • 09-07-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i am going to be getting a flat or apartment soon. I havent rented one in a long time and was just wondering what do you need to look for or ask the landlord to make sure its isnt a kip or i am ripped off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This i have ripped off from a previous post on this forum(forget username) but it is a very good guide.
    What bills are there (esb/gas/phone/tv/bins), are any of them combined, how often do they come

Are there any existing damages to the property worth noting, (do a good visual inspection anyway when viewing). If there are existing damages, make 100% SURE they are written into the lease.

Are fridge/cooker/dishwasher/microwave/washing machine working

* Check the water pressure in all taps/showers.
    * Check that the toilets all flush.
    * Check ALL presses/closets for water damage, mold, crappy hinges that don't work etc.
    * Check that windows lock and are properly sealed (look for water damage around the frames, or use your paper to see if there's a draft coming in)
    * Look closely at all the furniture, walls etc. If there are minor cosmetic problems, take note of them and have them included on any future inventory so that you won't be liable for the damage when you move out.
    * If there are current tenants, ask to see an inventory of what is included in the house since some of the furniture may belong to the tenants and not to the apartment.
    * Ask about sky/ntl if that's something you're interested in having. Some landlords don't want to let you install a dish.
    * If anything in the apartment needs fixing - GET IT IN WRITING that it will be fixed within x days or before you move in.
    * Rents have come down all over the country. Check out the rent reduction thread stickied on this forum. Offer less than the asking price, if the landlord refuses, say ok. Walk away. (They might call you back, if not, you'll find something cheaper anyway)
    * Don't hand over any money without a receipt. If possible pay everything by bank transfer so as to have a paper trail.

Make sure the landlordknows it 110% unacceptable to enter your apartment without your permission. (seems common sense but it isn't)

Try to organise rent going directly into their account, it works out easier.

Ask about damp!

ask about control of the heating and how the hot water works.

Ask about the neighbours. If they aren't in your age group or have kids then avoid it, no matter how many assurances the landlord gives you.

Ask that they will register the tenancy with the PRTB

Try to get the ESB in your name,it will take pressure off when you have to pay it and it will allow you to have an alternative address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thanks thats good very thorough. i hope i remember all this when i view them

When you paying out the deposit do you need to get a receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Bob Z wrote: »
    When you paying out the deposit do you need to get a receipt?
    Bank Transfer FTW

Otherwise yes definetly DEFINETLY get a reciept! Cover yourself in th e event of non refund of deposit.

gurramok wrote: »
    This i have ripped off from a previous post on this forum(forget username) but it is a very good guide.

If you were renting a flat would the posaters on here really go around and check all these things?

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    If you were renting a flat would the posaters on here really go around and check all these things?

Yes, as there are alot of cowboy and cowgirl landlords out there. You can even see the daily complaints on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do you need a BER for an apartment now or is that just houses?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do you need a BER for an apartment now or is that just houses?

Its a legal requirement for both. Many landlords don't have it- and to be honest I wouldn't be too worried if its a fairly recent build- but if you have any doubts whatsover request one.

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, as there are alot of cowboy and cowgirl landlords out there. You can even see the daily complaints on this forum!

I can understand asking about damp and damage but Would the landlord think its cheeky if i went and flushed all the toilets, run taps/shower, pput sheets of paper up to the chimney and windows etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If the landlord got annoyed about that, I wouldn't rent from him/her.

• Advertisement

Its basic living human conditions as a right to have those things working. If you end up signing a lease and some of those things were not working, you could have a landlord who would give you the cold shoulder.

Its just for covering your ass to make sure what you get what you are paying for, its a business transaction.

Advertisement