Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Renter - List of defects prior to signing lease?

• 09-07-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im going to rent a apartment and was wondering the following :

Letting agent is asking me to give deposit (first) + sign lease. I thought I'd need to get a list of the defects in the apartment before I signed? Or should that be just before I move in?

What is the standard sequence?
    Sign Lease, Give Deposit, Get list of defects?

Should I give deposit before I get the lease?

Cheers
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

For defects, i'm not 100% sure but what i did was as well as asking was there any defects(obviously got a no), i found them myself in the viewing and asked that they be fixed before signing lease which they did. (like the shower for example)

A deposit is usually a signal of your intent to rent, they will hold the apt for you without giving it to anyone else once you hand it over.(refundable on withdrawal on interest before signing lease). Get valid receipt.

Then sign lease as well as give first months rent if you are going ahead with renting the apt. Deposit is only refundable after lease is up.

So sequence is give deposit if you really want the place, make sure defects are fixed and sign the lease OR

Fix defects first if the apt is not your top priority on your list, then give deposit and sign lease when defects are fixed.

It depends on how badly you want the apt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gurramok wrote: »
    A deposit is usually a signal of your intent to rent, they will hold the apt for you without giving it to anyone else once you hand it over.(refundable on withdrawal on interest before signing lease). Get valid receipt.
    Be very careful, when renting a property holding deposits tend not to be refundable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Victor wrote: »
    Be very careful, when renting a property holding deposits tend not to be refundable.

Yeh, some agencies tend to forget they have your deposit :)

Better still, have deposit ready and sign the lease at the same time assuming all defects are fixed of course. You will get landlords details in the lease so you can forward the rent by bank transfer a day or two later.

So the 2nd scenario is probably better for security of mind. Just say you will give deposit & sign lease at the same time when the defects are fixed!!

Advertisement