Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to be a special needs assistant.

• 09-07-2009 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi, my name is Mary,

Im 52 years old. I have no teaching experience. I have raised 3 children who are now in their 20's.

I am interested in helping with special needs. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with

What qualifications do I need and where could I get these?
    How do I go about becoming a special needs assistant?

I live in Galway and would appreciate any help

Thank you Mary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I know there are lots of other options but here's my tuppence-worth:

We run a FETAC Level 5 course in Childcare in our school and I know that graduates of our course have got employment as SNAs. Most of the SNAs in our school have some type of Childcare qualification. Contact your local VEC for details of schools who give these courses, the fees are minimal and you could do your work experience in a school, which would be a leg-up to employment.

Mind you, I know that there are some actual Special Needs courses being run throughout the country (full and part-time), you get your qualification from Portobello College. However, there are fees for these courses and the modules are usually the same as the ones you'd cover as part of a Childcare qualification:

http://www.portobelloinstitute.ie

As a cautionary note, don't be expecting to walk into a job. SNAs are being seriously cut back, like everything else and we, like every school, are losing some.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irene28

Im hoping to apply for the PGCE in Primary Teaching in the UK for next year and in the mean time Im doing an SNA course by Distance Learning with the College of Progressive Education (Frobel). Great course and it is well respected have a wee look on the educationposts.ie site for info loads on there to. From what Ive read on what others have said about Portobello it didnt get a good review at all. just what I read tho so thats why Im doing mine with Progressive. Hope that helps. Best a luck with it.

Advertisement