Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral Directors, Extremely High Prices, Lack of Competition?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Slightly unusual request but does anyone know anything about the world of funeral directors in Ireland.

I have read articles in papers stating that the funeral directors business is a "closed shop", I also remember a discussion on live line a few years ago saying the same thing.

Is this still the case?

It seems a fairly basic funeral costs about €10k, having looked at the costs involved it seems hugely overpriced, I'm just wondering if there is a reason why there is a lack of competition or a reason why prices are so high?

If anyone has any ideas let me know.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

They have risen a lot in the UK as well:
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/support_services/article792938.ece

I would say there is a nice profit margin in it. Dont see how it could be a closed shop, you just need to have a bit of experience in it before going out on your own. Then undercut by 10% and you're laughing, or at least looking less serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

BigEejit wrote: »
    Then undercut by 10% and you're laughing, or at least looking less serious.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, its not really a price wars undercut type industry. People at the worst time of their lives need an undertaker to bury their loved one's and shopping around when the need arises is not really going to happen. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It doesn't cost 10k for a basic funeral. The last time I priced one up (for a friend whose mother had died) it came to 3k or 4k.

I still do think this is a lot.

I agree that it is an interesting business. Here are some stats.

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/27453

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2009/mar/08/money-talks-gareth-naughton-a-matter-of-life-and-d/

It is certainly true that there is a lot more to this business than price. However, good service and good price can go hand-in-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the replies guys, the 10k funeral I spoke of included 5k for a grave, perhaps this may be at the pricier end of things.

Gay Mitchel's article suggests that there are about 4 families in charge of the whole Dublin industry, am not sure how they stop competition, this article suggests planing permission is hard to get for a funeral home:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2007/04/01/digging-for-funeral-prices/

I might speak to some funeral directors to see what the situation is, perhaps ones outside of Dublin might be able to explain it to me.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yup, they have it all wrapped up. Is there a possibility they killed off the competition?

It's all dead money anyway.

Somebody needs to dig deep and find out some more.

I wouldn't be keen on it personally, I'd say it's a dying business and the chance of a repeat sale is slim.

I've forgotten what else I wanted to say, the thought passed (away).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A taxi for you DubTony, you deserve a ban for those horrendous puns :D

mikemac wrote: »
    A taxi for you DubTony, you deserve a ban for those horrendous puns :D

tsk .... and I thought they were deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

you defo deserve a ban, and i not care if i get a ban for calling you a ****ing prick,hope u rot in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

i apologise 4 speaking how i feel,but thats me

blossom180 wrote: »
    you defo deserve a ban, and i not care if i get a ban for calling you a ****ing prick,hope u rot in hell

Get a grip !!! People die. It's life. Get over it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,435 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wher ethe undertakers get stuck is slow payment and bad debts (bad debts, not bad deaths :pac:). Discounts are available for prompt or pre-payment.

blossom180 wrote: »

huh? Was it something I said ? :)

We're talking about as few as 2 movements (hospital -> church, church -> graveyard). It's a lot of money for that.

I'd say it's a 'brand' business. People go with a name they know.

As regards debts, the bereavement grant is eur 850. If the undertaker can manage to collect that pretty quickly, it will cover your diesel money and maybe the leasing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

DubTony wrote: »
    huh? Was it something I said ? :)

Pick the bones out of that!

I know an undertaker pretty well....seriously savvy business man as well. Well aware of their 'cost of sales/average sale/etc... etc..'

As the average price being spent is falling (as weddings are), they are trying to bring in new products to keep the price up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I know a bloke who Reps for a Coffin maker. Wonder how many coffin makers are there out there and whats the competition in that field like? Basically OP, think outside the BOX! LOL - LOL ;-O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

blobert wrote: »
    Hello,

Slightly unusual request but does anyone know anything about the world of funeral directors in Ireland.

I have read articles in papers stating that the funeral directors business is a "closed shop", I also remember a discussion on live line a few years ago saying the same thing.

Is this still the case?

It seems a fairly basic funeral costs about €10k, having looked at the costs involved it seems hugely overpriced, I'm just wondering if there is a reason why there is a lack of competition or a reason why prices are so high?

If anyone has any ideas let me know.
    Thanks

I believe the reason they call it a closed shop is that there are no more church's being built and all the church's already have funeral directors serving them. I don't know how it works, as in does the priest recommends/works with them or it's just the proximity to the church's that get them the business?

No. The bereaved get to pick the funeral director, not the priest or church.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

ok lads i will sort these for ye, a family will contact the funeral director and if they wish he undertaker to take care of the funeral for them details are then taken down and the necessary arrangments are made to have the deceased collected from the hospital, house, hospice, morgue (providing coroners clearance/post mortem has been completed), the remains is then embalmed by a fullly professional embalmer and jus to quote only certain people have this talent and its a gift to be able to do this, they are then layed out, a death notice is then done out as the family are with the director and its up to the family how much or little they want to put in i and which paper they want including RIP.ie
    they then have the oppertunity of hiring limousines for the removal or funeral or both depending if needed and next would be organising the church, normally the deceased would go to their local parish church or a parish church of a son/daughter providing a priest is available. the underaker does all this on behalf of the family. selecting the coffin is also next and a wide selection of coffins are available. from a flat lid coffin to a veneered oak/mahogony, solid last supper or panelled coffin hen leading to italian coffins and next to caskets. the funeral director would then take care of the laying out of the deceased in a set of clothes which the family supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is this the ultimate Zombie thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement