Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[UK] Met warns officers off photographers

• 09-07-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Article from The Register about Police in the UK being reminded that photographers aren't terrorists.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/09/metropolitan_police_photo/
    The Metropolitan Police has issued guidance to its officers to remind them that using a camera in public is not in itself a terrorist offence.
    The guidance reminds officers that the public do not need a license to take photographs in the street and the police have no power to stop people taking pictures of anything they like, including police officers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

This is a useful development. I'm not aware of Gardai here giving hassle to photographers but this gives us a useful precedent to use if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Thankfully the Gardai have a lot more sense and are better educated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If they mean it, then excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Paulw wrote: »
    Thankfully the Gardai have a lot more sense and are better educated here.

lol.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I haven't been hassled in the past 6 weeks or so, dispite being down in the
    city, canary warf, parliment sq and the usual locations. So maybe they're
    taking heed.

I'll probabily get busted tonight now....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

This is a nice development. A friend of mine was taking pictures of the Fire Brigade and got cornered by the police here in London for it. They insisted he deleted the pictures or they would arrest him. He, being the guy he is, obliged... I would have been far more stubborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    They insisted he deleted the pictures or they would arrest him. He, being the guy he is, obliged... I would have been far more stubborn.

Push comes to shove I'd delete them. Then switch memory cards and recover them later with software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

TJM wrote: »
    This is a useful development. I'm not aware of Gardai here giving hassle to photographers but this gives us a useful precedent to use if needs be.

I had a bit of hassle with the local fuzz a little while back when I wanted to take a shot that involved the fuzz. The shot was more of a general shot than anyone specific.

But generally they are really cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    This is a nice development. A friend of mine was taking pictures of the Fire Brigade and got cornered by the police here in London for it. They insisted he deleted the pictures or they would arrest him. He, being the guy he is, obliged... I would have been far more stubborn.

If you're ever asked to delete pics taken in a public place in the UK, then ask them why. If the reason is that they're allegedly illegal then you've allegedly committed a crime, and the officer is asking you to destroy evidence. Which is a crime. Only a court can order the destruction/deletion of images.

The only caveats are around sensitive sites - power stations, transport hubs, military bases - these are covered in CT legislation. If you really want to take any pictures of the first two, get a permit for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This thread is full of the sort of information that reminds me to stay home...

• Advertisement
Advertisement