Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else finding this REALLY difficult??

• 09-07-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I'm not sure why i'm posting this. Maybe for re-assurance, or some genius idea someone might have!!

Due to headlines such as "6,000 provisional drivers prosecuted", I have no intention of breaking the law. But, I have nobody who I can practice with either...

So, i'm doing all the learning via lessons. I'm not a complete beginner. 10 years ago I took lessons and practice etc and failed my test with a narrow margin, however I decided to give up with the driving and resigned myself to public transport for the last 10 years. Unfortunately, I am now under pressure to pass for work.

I've had 9 lessons so far, therfore 9 hours of driving... I think I may pay for another 10. But even at that I think there is a very strong possibilty I will fail... I can get from A to B without (so far!) endangering the public, but I'm finding it a serious brain strain to take in all the new information every week whilst reminding myself "Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed, Look" etc. So far it hasn't settled into a routine!

Basically I get the car every week for my lesson and I don't seem to actually improve at all. I can manuover the car, I can shake off a bad habit for the duration of the lesson, but a week passes and I'm straight back doing it again.

I've even tried making up a mock car in the office! Using a record for a steering wheel!! A useless attempt to get into the habit of the correct procedures. Needless to say my pretend car hasn't improved my driving! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

You need to concentrate on learning to control the car first and foremost. Making it do what you want it to basically.
    Then once you have that mastered you can start to worry about driving all prim and proper in order to pass your test.
    You could do with getting your own car to practice or at least increase the lessons to twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

I do feel and I can control the car and my driving instructor doesn't seem too worried...

Its things like, when approaching a red light in 4th gear. Going into 2nd before stopping. Now I understand the reasons - more control of the vehicle, being prepared if the light goes green etc etc, and I obviously completely agree with these reasons. Its just when in the situation... I'm thinking - mirrors.. stopping.. man overtaking me.. clutch.. big bus.. cyclists... and before I know it, i've stopped and I'm in 4th gear!! I just don't seem to shake myself out of this..

There is always the possibilty that maybe my brain, 10 years on just can't handle too much information! I hope to god thats not the case though... I'm only 28 years old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Stick with it and you will get the hang of it, in a couple of months you'll be flyin.
    Learning to drive is difficult at any age, and anyone who says otherwise is talking bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

First of take comfort from the fact that you are not alone in finding getting to grips with driving a challenge - its quite common that people get a little flustered and panic'ed when trying to remember all the mirrors, signals, clutch, gears etc etc. Believe me it will eventually start to come naturally so keep at it.

Its sounds like you are a little nervous and perhaps you are in a situation where there are lots of cyclists, buses and other traffic. If so, then I think you should try and look for somewhere quieter with less distractions and less pressure. Find a quiet road and then pick a random spot (tree, lamppost etc) and assume its a STOP sign or a red traffic light and practice driving up to it and stopping smoothly and correctly.

You mentioned trying to stop in 2nd gear, while this is acceptable and was the recommended way in the past it is now more common for people to stop in whatever gear they are in. The original reason for changing down the gears was to use engine braking to assist the cars brakes while stopping but modern brakes are much better and more than sufficient to stop a car without the engine braking. There are still scenarios where you will need to change down gears obviously as you as slowing down but if you are driving along a clear road in 4th gear and coming directly to a stop you can do so without changing gear. This removes one additional task from your list so it will just be mirrors, brake, clutch in just before you stop, handbrake on (if required) and select neutral or 1st as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

Hi Downey Penguin.
    Keep going.... It will get easier!
    You seem to be putting alot of pressure on yourself. Remember the lesson is just one hour, and without any practice outside this, it is nearly impossible to get it all right first time, every time.
    As said above, how about increasing the lessons to two a week or getting yourself a little runner to practice in?
    If you mention how you feel to your instructor, then he/she may surprise you by saying how you have improved so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi OP

I am teaching a long time now and come across this many time's.

This is a misunderstanding of a driver's attitude and changing the way you think. Now you will find this strange but it has helped people from 17 to a lady of 76.

A true drivers attitude is the "a f**k it" attitude and it is funny for you to read this from a qualified instructor but it will help you.

Eg:
    the next time your approaching the lights! "a f**k it" I'm approaching light so what do i do!
    the next time your turning left! "a f**k it" I'm only turning left so what do i do!
    the next time your are reversing! "a f**k it" I'm only reversing so what do I do!

You just need to remember the routines for each task and it is always easer when you acknolage each task.
    You can us this all day and have fun doing so. I have watched driver's of all types laugh their way down the road and their quality of driving comes up so fast you would not believe.

I know it is strange but driving instruction is about helping people to learn how to drive and using different techniques is what driving instruction is all about.

Try it and enjoy, let me know how you get on.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!

With regard to the practice issue I'm afraid i've no family in this country and my friends have all long ago passed their tests, they do hear me continually whinge at not having any practice, a few offered to put me on their insurance after a few pints, but nothing has come to fruition. Besides, I feel a little embarrassed to be asking my mates to be helping me out with this and i'm not sure if the shoe was on the other foot I would want to take the risk if i'd only known this person (namely me) after a couple of years! So i'm afriad "real" practice has to stay off the cards.

DrivingInfo - I am looking forward to trying out the "a f**k it" learning method!! :) I have a mock test tonight with the instructor so i'll give it a shot. I see your point on acknowledging the task in hand, one at a time... I'll let you know how I get on.

donegalfella - Its an office of music lovers - all manner of vinyl lying about here from 1983 dance tunes to mid 70's krautrock! Having said that my current steering wheen is a coil of cable - the record wasn't offering enough grip....

In my last mock test I got 19 grade 2's and 6 grade 1's. I know its a fail... But does anyone know by how much? Fingers crossed it'll be better tonight. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yvonneb04

Hey Downey Penguin!

Keep the chin up, you will get there.

A couple of things I found helpful which might be useful.

The first thing was doing 3-4 pre-tests which gave me loads of opps to see how everything gets marked and what constitutes different grades of faults etc. Then anywhere I had picked up faults, I used these faults to make a quick checklist of the specific things I was doing 'imperfectly' eg not slowing down enough for ramps (which is considered bad reaction to hazard), not doing the second glance in side mirro before taking right turns, not looking over both shoulders and in all mirrors on reverse part of turnabout etc. Then i brought this list with me in the car when i was practicing and literally kept drilling each of them into myself! Sounds a bit silly prob, but it definately made me a lot more aware and kept me focused.

I also paid for the ISM 'online pretest' and found that very good. It gives you 2-3 hours of videos of a Dublin instructor going around in a car going through all the different parts of the test eg road position, signalling etc. It cost 14 euro or something like that and you have access for two months. While I dont think you can learn to drive from a video, i did genuinely find it helped me remember some of the stuff i needed for test. It also gives you nice print outs of main road signs and questions that you will be asked during text (not meant to substitute knowing rules of the road though of course :))

Despite being what i thought was very well prepared and having done well in my pretests, I actually failed my test on Monday :( I got a grade 3 because i thought a left turn was for buses only and stayed in the right and through the confusion of the road turnings, I passed the road markings when the light went red and was stuck too far forward in the junction. Totally a valid fail, but very disappointing all the same. Only picked up 3 grade 2s across the rest of my test. Anyways, I've already applied again and hoping to get it next time :)

Re your Q on how many faults etc you are allowed, you can get all this on RSA website but just to summarise for you:
    There are three types of faults; grade 1's, grade 2's, grade 3's.

A grade 3 (pink) is an instant fail (even one grade 3 will fail you regardless of how well the rest of the test goes) This is for anything the tester denotes as dangerous/potentially dangerous but could be as straightforward as not obviously checking your right hand mirror twice when switching lanes.

A grade two (blue) is a less serious fault and you need to get less than 9 of these in total or you fail. You could get multiple faults for the same thing for example observation turning left. If you get more than four of the exact same fault, or 6 faults within the same category (eg observation in general) then you still fail, even if you havent gotten 9 overall. So its easy to fail!

Grade 1's (green) are minor faults and do not affect the result of the test. I got a grade one for competency on my reverse as even though i completed it competently and safely, I was prob a little more out after my initial turn than ideal.

I agree with the people earlier saying about getting out practicing in a car if you can. I know what you mean re akward asking friends etc, but its very cheap to put a second named driver on (I'm only 25 quid on my partners Avensis for the year under provisional license) and if you are insured and are a reasonable driver, you would be fine. Go to quiet areas where you will more confident to start.

Good luck with it all anyways, we're all battling away trying to get there! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've been learning in the instructors car alone as I have no car of my own and I know it can be frustrating with everyone telling you 'get yourself a car to learn in' 'get out and practice' etc etc when it's just not possible. :(
    I do find two lessons a week, or on two consecutive days is a big help because you really do see an improvement as everything's still pretty fresh in your mind!
    My instructor has said it may take 20 or even 30 lessons to pass the test when you have no other means of practice but that it is possible. However he did point out that 'passing the test' and 'being a good driver' are completely different things! :rolleyes:
    I understand completely your predicament. I have no parents or siblings that drive and no close friends that drive. I know a couple of friend's partners/boyfriends have cars and a few work friends have cars but I would be very awkward asking them to practice with me as I don't know them that well and don't really want them quizzing me as to how it's all going/when am I doing a test etc.. :o

Keep at it and passing your test with no practice time IS possible. Sure how many airline pilots had their own Boeing 747's to practice in?! :D

• Advertisement

Good to see i'm no the only one getting the "get out and practice" line. Even my driving instructor suggested I should drive unaccompanied to get some practice!

I think your double lesson on consecutive days is a great plan.

Love the Boeing 747 comment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I'd report him to the RSA / ADI for giving "advice" like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I feel sorry for you Downey I understand it can be hard but if you keep your mind ticking over even when not practicing it'll come. Look at the rules of the road every night. Think of all the bad habits you have and how bad you feel when you instructor keeps correcting you.

Think positive and tell yourself "The next time I'm NOT going to cross my hands/looktwice/etc etc etc" even keep a diary if you can!!!

Best of luck mate I'm in the same situation in France on my own trying to get the test!!! Wish you all the best!

Advertisement