Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mechwarrior game revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Looks pretty f***in cool

Any info on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Krieg wrote: »
    Looks pretty f***in cool

Any info on this?

The videos are pretty much it so far. If you let the one above play out, it'll show the teaser ones that preceded it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That looks excellent. Can't wait for this. I loved Mechwarrior 2 and haven't played a decent sci-fi simulation in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

would of been better if that mech had shouted

"GIGA... DRILL... BREAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrrrmmmmm... I'm seeing this, and I'm thinking of the Crysis mod "Mechwarrior Living Legends"... hard to say much from the video, but I'm thinking the mod, esp with the fully customizable mechs, the planes, tanks, etc, will look better.

But that's just me. The timing of the release, compared to the release of the mod... will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure, that terrain deformation looks spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its the Unreal Engine 3 running it btw folks. it looks the part so i hope it plays it too. i really hope they give you the same depth of customization as there was in Mech 2 & 3 and not the so-so stuff in mech 4 and its add ons.
    the story seems interesting as its really going allllll the way back to classic battletech. 3015 is 35 years before the clans show up so don't expect any timber wolf's and any other clan favourites. im not sure if this is a good thing tho, i reckon they should have gone balls first in and gone for the initial clan invasion of the inner sphere. perhaps too risky to take on though with a new engine and watnot... but would be incredible if done right.

have high hopes for this game. been wanting it since mech 4 showed up and shat on mech 3's good memory. all the same, ive been wanting a mech game from this era for years and years. very excited by it and hopefully they do a good job

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mechwarrior 4 is to be released for free

http://catalystgamelabs.com/

Seems they secured a bunch of Battletech rights in late June.

Good. Because when you pick up the series where i did, in mech2 merc, theres little way to really get immersed in the world. Its just a robot game to me. ****ed if i knew the difference between a wolf clan and a draconis combine. So im glad they look to be doing a series revamp.

Free mech 4 is good news, as its probably the only thing id be able to monkey-wrench enough to get running in vista.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

That's not an in-engine clip, is it?

I'd assumed it was all pre-rendered video...

JCDenton wrote: »
    That's not an in-engine clip, is it?

I'd assumed it was all pre-rendered video...

It's in engine they claim.

Its gotta be in engine. When you look at some of the special effects, it kinda feels lackluster to what you would get in a prerendered video. But otherwise, everything rendered on screen looks readily playable. where he presses buttons on the console, I could see them adding/retaining that for extra immersion.

i hope they get the feel for the battletech universe right though and not just make it Mechwarrior featuring 50 cent. i have a funny feeling they may try to add their own "attitude" into the game. if they do, i will hire stone cold steve austin to go to work in their offices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

going back to 3015 is a definate plus, theres 10 years till the end of the third succession war, and that still leaves 25 years worth of expansions before we see the clans. there is a lot of story and fighting to take place.

besides classic battletech is a lot more visceral pre-clan.

jazzy what makes you think its the unreal3 engine, ive seen no news about it and none of my own sources have said anything about U3.

jaggeh wrote: »

besides classic battletech is a lot more visceral pre-clan.

jazzy what makes you think its the unreal3 engine, ive seen no news about it and none of my own sources have said anything about U3.

yeah i want that visceral side of battletech too. i read it on.... gimme a sec. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59467
    The PC and Xbox 360 game titled simply 'MechWarrior' is being developed by Piranha Games in Unreal Engine 3, in collaboration with Weisman's company Smith & Tinker.

id love if the wolfs dragoon of old made an appearance. natasha & jamie havent been in a game yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

but I love the clans :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Been far to long since last Mechwarrior game but have to say this one is looking sweet :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure that another game of a slow moving clump stomping about trying to broadside another slow moving clump is really going to float my boat.
    I really liked the earlier PC games and felt quite let down by the Xbox titles.
    This one looks like a return to a sim type game, but while the trailer looks really nice, it does seem a tad short on exciting combat, just standing in front of your opponent and trying every weapon in turn until they reload and you start again, until one of you has to eject.

Everyone knows to kill a mech effectively you just go for the knees, don't they?
    Worked in Mecharrior 3!
    An AC20 to the patella!

I also already have Steel Batallion, do I need any more Mech games after that?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Not sure that another game of a slow moving clump stomping about trying to broadside another slow moving clump is really going to float my boat.
    I really liked the earlier PC games and felt quite let down by the Xbox titles.
    This one looks like a return to a sim type game, but while the trailer looks really nice, it does seem a tad short on exciting combat, just standing in front of your opponent and trying every weapon in turn until they reload and you start again, until one of you has to eject.

Everyone knows to kill a mech effectively you just go for the knees, don't they?
    Worked in Mecharrior 3!
    An AC20 to the patella!

Most of the fun is the mechlab, spending ages fiddling with your mechs until you can get the best balance between speed, firepower, and all the rest of it. Used to have a NovaCat in MW4 that had 24 medium lasers that he could fire indefinately, he was awesome, huge engines too! (The energizer bunny! :cool:) Or the AC60 thor with near max engines, a 360 degree torso twist, and jump jets! Jump over the enemy and AC60 to the back, 1 hit kill usually, if not you can start taking off limbs/legs. In MW2 and 3 you could do some mad ones, but it's been so long since I played it I can't remember any, you could also get mechs that killed an Atlas in 1 shot to the torso if you fiddled with it in mechlab enough (mass LRM20 racks in MW2 worked well for it).

Taking out the legs was reduced in MW4 significantly when it now required BOTH legs be destroyed to kill the target, 1 leg down only slows you down (a LOT) and stops them reversing. The combat is one element in MW4 they improved, but the mechbay was so simplified it hurts.

Its true. If you want an armored core style flyaroundyourgranny mother****er, you can build it. Mechs can be built to be stupidly agile.

I still prefer the slow moving minister of death mechs :)

aye, so does my mate. it f**kin rocks... sh1t hard though.

and where did you get this magic AC/60 Pugsley ? the 2/5/10/20 after the autocannon is the millimetre of the shell. an AC/60 would fire a two foot wide shell. such a thing does not exist in any mech game ever.

in mech 3 the best mechs for a good while where the 45 ton shadowcat (lovingly called a 'scat' online) and the 55 ton bushwhacker. they were completely able to outmanoeuvre everything else and if equipped right would take things out in seconds (namely high speed, jets and a mix of small and medium lasers.. not pulse). me and the same mate who had steel battalion used to count the amount of Daishi's and Annihilators on the field as it was teh n00bs so more kills for us. that was in mech 3 mind.
    mech 4 was different as you were able to twist and move a lot faster and more of the weapons were hitscan so the heavier ones (70 tons +) tended to win out. the novacat was quite common as it could hold a stupid amount of energy weapons... but then in my eyes mech 4 + expansions was the bastard child of a great series.

hopefully they get things right here and allow full customization of the mechs and not this limited method we saw in mech 4. i hope they also dont go the armoured core route of only having specific body parts. but with the average brain size of gamers dwindling i fully expect a lego kit to come with the game and the main 'star' of the game to be will.i.am and simon cowell will give him missions. they'll also wrangle H from steps in there somehow. naw im being pessimistic. i just have such high hopes for this game.. me <3 mechs 4 eva

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't really know much about the Mechwarrior games at all. I think I have played some of them at some stage but I can't be sure.

Might give Mechwarrior 4 ago when it goes free. They hardly released any of the other previous versions for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Overheal wrote: »
    Its true. If you want an armored core style flyaroundyourgranny mother****er, you can build it. Mechs can be built to be stupidly agile.
    Aye, nothing better than getting a light mech, putting in boosters, and some decent laser gun. Run like hell, overheat, ignore overheat, ignore overheat, ignore shutdown warnings, and go nuclear when you "bump into" the enemy :D

Jazzy wrote: »
    and where did you get this magic AC/60 Pugsley ? the 2/5/10/20 after the autocannon is the millimetre of the shell. an AC/60 would fire a two foot wide shell. such a thing does not exist in any mech game ever.

3 AC 20's = AC60, give or take :) Although not as literally as an LRM 160 (As AC weapons vary widely with size, used to love mass AC2/AC5 banks). I'm pretty sure there was an AC15 too, but I only used 2/5/20's. Large caliber for small light mechs and lower caliber for the 80+ ton monsters. For medium mechs (always loved the vultures, such a sexy looking mech!) I tended to favour Medium lasers or missile banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mech 3 came with the first ever family PC. Great game alright.

Is Mech 2 worth revisiting?

noodler wrote: »
    Mech 3 came with the first ever family PC. Great game alright.

Is Mech 2 worth revisiting?
    MW2: Mercenaries works with XP, MW2: Battle Pack doesn't work at all. Not sure about with Vista.

If you get Mercenaries you can get it to work here:
    http://ntcompatible.com/Mechwarrior_2_Mercenaries_c7414.html
    (Great website for getting old games to work)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Oh looking forward to this!

Picked up some yoke of a thing for the xbox years back... it had mechs in it, but was pretty much a Burn Out to someone's Gran Turismo.

Advertisement