Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mechwarrior game revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    All I ****ing need to know.

:)
    Added awesome sound clip in quote.

MW2 on Vista: not a flying snowballs chance in hell. Running on DOSbox: maybe. Resolution would be fair **** though. But then why do you want to run 1920x1680 when all the textures are 24x24 pixels anyway :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pugsley wrote: »
    MW2: Mercenaries works with XP, MW2: Battle Pack doesn't work at all. Not sure about with Vista.

If you get Mercenaries you can get it to work here:
    http://ntcompatible.com/Mechwarrior_2_Mercenaries_c7414.html
    (Great website for getting old games to work)

ace of base. thats tomorow afternoon sorted for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Says ingame footage in the bottom corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i got mw2 mercs to work yesterday, so much for cleaning the house.

jaggeh wrote: »
    i got mw2 mercs to work yesterday, so much for cleaning the house.
    Enlighten me: im having trouble :(

• Advertisement

Enlighten me: im having trouble :(

same :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGmmI4QGDA

new trailer for Living Legends.

im using vista 64

titanium pack install, xp patch AND the prep patch, running mercwin in win98 compatability

its unstable and tends to crash after a few missions and i cant figure out how to change the res from 640x480 but by god it works, last night i headshotted a flashman with two ER large and gota clean salvage w00t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

In honor of BattleTech’s 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com—the free download will be available soon!

http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/2009/07/09/mechwarrior-to-be-distributed-free-on-battletech-com/

im using vista 64

titanium pack install, xp patch AND the prep patch, running mercwin in win98 compatability

its unstable and tends to crash after a few missions and i cant figure out how to change the res from 640x480 but by god it works, last night i headshotted a flashman with two ER large and gota clean salvage w00t.
    ill have to dig out the patches but i have the rest ready. ill give it a lash later on 32 bit

• Advertisement

salvaged a fire moth meep meep!

oooooooooh check it out

i got bum raped by two kodiaks two dashers and a grizzly shortly after that, managed to escape with my torso intact but the rest of the mech is a right off :(

thats the robbing the kodiak mission innit? toughest mission in the game probably. that or the one where you land on walcott for the first time.. ya know, the first big contract against the jaguars. pain in the titties. i didnt use the kodiak when i got it tho as u could fit more on one of the XL engine atlas's :p
    i so despirately want to get this game to work :/
    need lots of stuff tho. first i need the dos version of the game (according to other forums anyway) and then i need to re-jig things. im very jealous of u atm jaggeh :(

I remember the kodiak mission, only for how absolutely interesting and painful it was to pull off. The Mechs being held together by paint by the time you make it to your drop point.

I have mechwarrior working, but not mercenaries. Titanium edition. Its nothing without mercenaries. The MW2Hook doesnt find any executables and I dont know what it means by creating a shortcut to the inject app and then "Setting the arguments to point to the game executable" <-- where do I do that?

edit: Tried this using the zip file here. Works good when set to Win95 compatibility except that the sounds are messed up - they dont play most of the time, and more importantly, there is no music. Missions are playable, but without that classic soundtrack, whats the point :(

I have mechwarrior working, but not mercenaries. Titanium edition. Its nothing without mercenaries. The MW2Hook doesnt find any executables and I dont know what it means by creating a shortcut to the inject app and then "Setting the arguments to point to the game executable" <-- where do I do that?

edit: Tried this using the zip file here. Works good when set to Win95 compatibility except that the sounds are messed up - they dont play most of the time, and more importantly, there is no music. Missions are playable, but without that classic soundtrack, whats the point :(

winamp

the trick to the kodiak mission is to not attack the draconis combine too early, if you head off and ping the first kodiak/grizzly team with your large laser
    you can bait them back and the drac's start fighting them. then you just mop up. its the last bit with the two dashers and kodiak team that mess me up.

you can either focus on the kodiak or try to take down the dashers, my advice is to save some uac20 ammo and one shot the dashers, if you take out the kodiaks arms
    from range then you can hold him off at long range where is AC wont hit.

after retrying the mission i salvaged two dashers and a grizzly aswell as keeping the kodiak for myself.

winamp
    eww! Seriously? No man. There has to be a fix here. I will find it.

edit: the fix, is not pretty:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/MechWarrior_2:_31st_Century_Combat/Windows_XP

oh wait, that just means disable the optical drives. I was thinking Id have to rename my D drive partition which would have been a huge headache. Easy peasy. Ill try it when I get off work.

the benefit of winamp is i can have MW2:3050, MW2:GBL AND mercenaries playing :D

Pfft. Do it right or not at all! :[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Dunno how I missed this thread.

Delighted. I've promised myself a new desktop once its released.

Anyone one up for some MW4 when it becomes available for DL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

:D

• Advertisement

http://kotaku.com/5352295/mechwarrior-5-runs-into-legal-trouble
    The future of Mechwarrior 5 is a little up in the air today, with Harmony Gold - the media company that holds the rights to the Robotech universe in the US - commencing legal action against the upcoming mech title.
    Legal threats are being sent out to gaming websites as you read this, Harmony Gold demanding that they pull down the trailer for Mechwarrior 5. Why? It's a long story.

See, Mechwarrior (and its daddy, BattleTech) haven't always used original designs for their mech. They sometimes straight up stole them from existing series, particularly Japan's Macross, which in the US forms the first part of the Robotech trilogy.

So BattleTech and Harmony Gold - who hold the Robotech rights in the West - went to court in 1996. End result? BattleTech (and by extension Mechwarrior) ceased using mech designs lifted from Macross, and instead employed only mechs they had themselves designed.

500x_mechwarrior.jpg

Harmony Gold's complaint in this instance is that the Mechwarrior 5 trailer uses designs that they own the trademark to. Now, they may have a point - the red mech in the image above looks a little like the Tomahawk Destroid from Macross (pictured below). But only a little. Surely not enough to warrant legal action.

500x_tomahawk.jpg

Anyway, at the moment, the only legal threats we know about are those made to IGN. There's no comment yet from Piranha Games, the team working on Mechwarrior 5, or from Harmony Gold, explaining just what their beef is, and whether they'd be happy with edits to the game or are out for blood.

We'll update when we hear more.
    Quick, someone flush the sinks.

They have a damn strong case though - look at the inset picture in the bottom left of the Robotech box.

Hopefully its just a snag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What a load of BS, a Mauller looks closer to that bottom pic than the new Mech in the MW5 vid.

Anyboday can claim anything looks like something else these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

"Hey that Mech has guns"

"Our Mechs have guns right?"

"Yup"

"Right then let's sue! They be stealing our ideas"

What a load of BS, a Mauller looks closer to that bottom pic than the new Mech in the MW5 vid.

Anyboday can claim anything looks like something else these days.
    The fact is the two look very similar in this case. Its not so much the arms. Look closer. Almost the whole mech is a twin. Unlike the mauler you point to, which is very unique in of itself to this discussion. It could in no way be mistaken for the Robotech thingy.

IS_Mauler.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The mech shown in the video is the Warhammer surely, not a mauler.

warhammer.gif

o_0 IT CAME FROM NORTH KOREA.

No it wasnt a mauler but he was joking that it might as well be a mauler - he thought the Robotech people were crying lawsuit because the arm weapons were similar, not the whole damn mech.

But yeah, the Inner Sphere Warhammer == Robotech Tomohawk

And tbh the trailer mech looks like the tomohawk minus a left shoulder weapon pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

we are back in business lads :D

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet-mechwarrior-online-piranhas-free-to-play-tactical-mech-sim/

im loving that its pc only and they really seem to be pushing it as a sim game, 2012 is going to kick arse on the pc

we are back in business lads :D

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet-mechwarrior-online-piranhas-free-to-play-tactical-mech-sim/

im loving that its pc only and they really seem to be pushing it as a sim game, 2012 is going to kick arse on the pc
    Meet MechWarrior Online, Piranha’s free-to-play tactical Mech sim
    fry.PNG?1307468855
    fry.PNG?1307468855
    fry.PNG?1307468855
    fry.PNG?1307468855

Oh. My. Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah kinda bummed thats it an mmo myself, but at least its something right? hopefully it wont be half assed, and it seems like they are keeping it very similar to MW2-4 just online

• Advertisement

Bummed why???

The game was already awesome killing NPCs, killing humies will make it Mind Blowing.

Also: OFFICIAL WEBSITE. You may now register early to reserve your pilot name!!

EEEEE!!! \:D/

http://mwomercs.com/

Advertisement