Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants to pay for courses?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi, ive done a degree and am half way through a postgraduate. I have seen a course i would love to do, it in UCD part time. Costs €5000.

I cant afford it obviously, but is there any grants or anything i can get to pay for it? The council have paid for my other degrees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

the grant will only pay for one go at a degree or postgrad, you can't even do a postgrad then a diploma the grant system doesn't let you go down the ladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

How much is a VEC grant? i mean to cover fees and stuff, as I have ruled out a back to education grant [already got a degree, it wont cover a masters]

Not sure a VEC grant alone would be enough....

How much is a VEC grant? i mean to cover fees and stuff, as I have ruled out a back to education grant [already got a degree, it wont cover a masters]

It rarely is enough by itself unfortunately. I'd love to do a poll on how many grant receivers work part-time and how much do they work.

As for how much it is, this hasn't been released by the powers that will (even though the closing date is in a month and a half) but last year's figures are here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses#rates

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

depends on a number of things like how old you are parents income and how far from the college you live.

Full grant fr someone under 23 is roughly 3300
    over 23 you're looking at 6000

and the grant will pay the first 5000 of fees

Advertisement