Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Striker

• 09-07-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Messi, Ronaldo and Gerrard won out in the attacking mid/winger poll. Team now looks like this: -

Casillas

Maicon Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Xavi Essien

Messi Gerrard Ronaldo

???????

So just one position left to fill and we'll have our team. It should be interesting who will be proved wrong/right over the course of next season with regards some of the debates about the players.

Voting for the striker will close in 3 days.

Best Striker in the World 142 votes

Drogba
    0% 0 votes
    Torres
    2% 3 votes
    Etoo
    81% 116 votes
    Ibrahimovic
    8% 12 votes
    Villa
    7% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Does this need a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gone with less options to curb some of the debate about who should/shouldn't be in. Think these are the only 5 with a realistic chance of winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It should be interesting who will be proved wrong/right over the course of next season with regards some of the debates about the players.

I don't know how anyone will be proven right or wrong.
    Anyway it's a mighty team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Torres ftw

Where's John Carew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No place for Europe's top marksman from last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Off that list Torres. But surely there should be more options.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yeah fair enough but can't really see Forlan being a major contender and if I was putting him in I would probably have had to put others. Just left it at the 5. Couldn't really imagine anyone outside of these 5 getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Xavi6 wrote: »

Marc Janko?

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2009/03/09/32-goal-top-scorer/

that's some record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Macheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Villa is the best but I voted for Torres because Gerrard got in

Idu wrote: »
    Villa is the best but I voted for Torres because Gerrard got in

I don't know why people have this mentality. It's not like this team are actually going to play a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Is the object not to pick the best team though? Just because the positions were picked seperately doesn't mean that should be overlooked. If it was as simple as picking the best striker in the world I would pick Villa

Is the object not to pick the best team though? Just because the positions were picked seperately doesn't mean that should be overlooked. If it was as simple as picking the best striker in the world I would pick Villa

It's all hypothetical. How do you know Villa and Gerrard wouldn't have a great partnership? Surely they're both intelligent enough players?
    If we were going to stick with what has been proven to work we'd have the Man United back 5 playing and the Barcelona midfield and strike force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I voted for villa,best striker in the world imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The team is full of attacking players who can all score and create bucket-loads of goals. Bearing that in mind the striker chosen should be the most clinical. Who is the most clinical? I really dont know - arguments could be made for all 5. Anelka should definitely be on the list though as when given a chance he invariably takes it.

Ya, Villa for me as well but very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Villa all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Where's Rooney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Is the object not to pick the best team though?
    When do you stop though? Nobody asked who'd be playing in midfield when they were picking their keeper - so these arguments are only starting as the team gets further up the pitch.

Actually, we should do the whole thing again but starting from the strikers and working backwards, see if we get something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

David Villa for me

Villa and Torres would be my top 2 there, but very hard to separate them as their strengths are very similar. Can't really compare the period when they were both playing in Spain as Villa was in a better team, but Villa's last two seasons v Torres' last two in Spain makes me choose Villa:

05-06: Atletico finished 10th with 52 points, with Torres scoring 13.
    06-07: Atletico finished 7th with 60 points, with Torres scoring 15.
    07-08: Valencia finished 10th with 51 points, with Villa scoring 18.
    08-09: Valencia finished 6th with 62 points, with Villa scoring 28.

At the moment, I think they're pretty equal, so I'm going on history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've gone with Torres, but Forlan should definitely be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Torres for me.
    Him and Villa have simillar finishing, close control and pace imo. But Torres is bigger and he uses his size really well. Best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If we're going purely on goalscoring, we can simply pick the striker with the highese goals per game ratio in the last 2 years.
    Personally, I'd pick Rooney. No Henry either?

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Villa and Torres would be my top 2 there, but very hard to separate them as their strengths are very similar. Can't really compare the period when they were both playing in Spain as Villa was in a better team, but Villa's last two seasons v Torres' last two in Spain makes me choose Villa:

Worst comparison ever.
    Using Torres' stats from four years ago is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Voted Ibra because he does nice tricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm going Torres as i think him with the rest of the players already picked would be just unreal.

My next choice would be Eto'o (purely on footballing merit, leaving out any behind the scenes bad attitude type of stuff). I love Villa, but a fit Eto'o is i think the best finisher in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No Dennis Behan :confused:

Torres is best on that list but you should have Forlan on if you have Ibrahmovich on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

David Villa for Torres?!

Torres, Torres, Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

LOL, Ibra and Drogba on the list and Rooney isn't.

I'll abstain from voting in this one out out of protest (just joking, Torres all they way)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Rooney should be on that list in fairness.
    Probably wouldnt get selected though.

Went for Torres

In general I've been putting players in the positions they predominantly have played last season. For this reason, no Rooney and no Henry here. They were both in the last poll.

Certainly there is an argument that neither of them can really play this position as a lone front man.

Should probably have had Forlan in the poll though considering the amount of goals he has put in over the last few seasons I suppose. I thought that making the list shorter might have caused less complaints as there were some complaining about the long lists in other polls and how they were causing neglible votes for players who had no chance of getting in, which was a fair enough observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fernando Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Voted Ibra because he does nice tricks

Have to agree, he is a trickster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Voted for Villa as it's between him and Torres.Would go for Ibrahimovic normally though.Drogba shouldn't have been included over some of those left off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Luis Fabiano anyone?

Pro. F wrote: »
    Worst comparison ever.
    Using Torres' stats from four years ago is a joke.
    Glad you read my post properly then.

Glad you read my post properly then.
    I did read your post.

So you are comparing Torres' stats from 3 and 4 seasons ago with Villa's from 2 and 1 season ago. That is pointless, Torres has had four years to develope since some of the stats that you are using. So Villa possibly used to be better than Torres was during the 05/06 and 06/07 season. You do know that Villa is 3 years older?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Michael Owen. But since he's not here...Torres.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    So you are comparing Torres' stats from 3 and 4 seasons ago with Villa's from 2 and 1 season ago. That is pointless, Torres has had four years to develope since some of the stats that you are using. So Villa possibly used to be better than Torres was during the 05/06 and 06/07 season. You do know that Villa is 3 years older?
    There's an age/development gap for sure, but they're each still improving I'd say. At the moment, I consider them pretty equal so I'm going on their history - in a similar level of side, Villa outperformed Torres by enough to make me think it was more than just age/development (46 goals to 28).

Even in the last two years (and yes, there's the age thing), Villa has done very well to be on an equal footing with Torres despite the superiority of Liverpool to Valencia in that time. Maybe in two years, I'd choose Torres, but right now, I'm going on history as a tie-breaker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I vote for Marlon Harewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I voted Ibra - but would have picked Rooney/Henry if they were on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Torres.

rtr1tbka.jpg

lol at the people suggesting Rooney tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Voted Eto'o, but it doesn't matter as we all know Torres will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Sunset V wrote: »
    Luis Fabiano anyone?
    Yes. He should definitely be in the poll aswell as Henry and Rooney.

Torres and Villa are the two that stand out in the poll. (off topic: but how did Iniesta not make the midfield??????)

@yahoo_moe
    I just don't agree with history as a valid reason. But let's agree to disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ibra.
    I see him more than the rest and he is constantly Inters best player.

Insanely under rated on here, it;s is if you lot have the biggest set of sky sports blinkers ever made on you.

Also, how drogba can be ahead of someone who outscored him at club level this year is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ibra.
    I see him more than the rest and he is constantly Inters best player.

Insanely under rated on here, it;s is if you lot have the biggest set of sky sports blinkers ever made on you.

Also, how drogba can be ahead of someone who outscored him at club level this year is beyond me.

we get it. Serie A is god. Premiership is Sky Sports overrated muck

Now stop repeating yourself.

K4t wrote: »
    Yes. He should definitely be in the poll aswell as Henry and Rooney.

Posted this on the last page but I'll post it again here and then we can stop talking about Rooney and Henry: -

In general I've been putting players in the positions they predominantly have played last season. For this reason, no Rooney and no Henry here. They were both in the last poll.

Certainly there is an argument that neither of them can really play this position as a lone front man.

As for Fabiano (as well as Berbatov, Adebayor, Forlan and a few others) I was considering putting him in the poll, but a friend told me not to because people would go 'lol why is he in contention' like they did in other polls (have a look at the right-back one and the centre-back one where I put in a lot of options.)

Thought cutting the list might stop these complaints but it seems like I can't win whichever way I go about it.

But clearly the winner is amongst these 5 so I really can't see my choices of who to put in the poll effecting the outcome of the team in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement