Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Striker

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Morzadec wrote: »
    Posted this on the last page but I'll post it again here and then we can stop talking about Rooney and Henry: -

In general I've been putting players in the positions they predominantly have played last season. For this reason, no Rooney and no Henry here. They were both in the last poll.

Certainly there is an argument that neither of them can really play this position as a lone front man.

As for Fabiano (as well as Berbatov, Adebayor, Forlan and a few others) I was considering putting him in the poll, but a friend told me not to because people would go 'lol why is he in contention' like they did in other polls (have a look at the right-back one and the centre-back one where I put in a lot of options.)

Thought cutting the list might stop these complaints but it seems like I can't win whichever way I go about it.

But clearly the winner is amongst these 5 so I really can't see my choices of who to put in the poll effecting the outcome of the team in fairness.

yup tbh unless you think the person your suggesting coulda won the thing then they actually dont merit a place in the vote.

Marlon Harewood though is like a Villa fans Atari Jaguar though hense my previous comment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Torres.

lol at the people suggesting Rooney tbh.
    Well I'm LOLing at people picking Torres ahead of Villa! Liverpool fans will all pick Torres to swing this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Well I'm LOLing at people picking Torres ahead of Villa! Liverpool fans will all pick Torres to swing this one

ORRRRRRR he'll win because he is the best striker in the world for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really? :confused:

Can't see how Torres might be getting picked for the fact he is world class and arguably the most complete player in the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I know there is absolutely no way that he'll win but, Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ORRRRRRR he'll win because he is the best striker in the world for the last 2 years.

Naaaaa
    villa is better than torres. Your love affair with torres clouds your judgement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Considering the amount of goals you're going to get from a midfield of Messi, Gerrard and Ronaldo and Ibra's assist record, teamwork and the physique needed for a lone striker he's the perfect fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Voted for Villa. It's close between him and Torres I couldn't decide and voted to help balance out the votes Torres will get for being a Liverpool player. I have no problem if the guy gets it but I figure most non-pool fans are split between the two while I doubt a single pool fan voted for Villa.
    To be fair I think I could lead the front line of this team and it could still beat anyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Really?

In the last two years:
    Villa has played 81 games at club level scoring 53
    Torres has played 84 and scored 50

Think we can all agree that Liverpool are a better team than Valencia the last two years

At international level:
    Villa has played 25 games and scored 19
    Torres has played 25 games and scored 8

Eto's record is:
    Played 80 club games scored 54 goals
    Couldnt find his international stats

Ibra:
    Played 80 club games scored 51 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Unearthly wrote: »
    we get it. Serie A is god. Premiership is Sky Sports overrated muck

Now stop repeating yourself.
    Being a Serie A fan is the new Eircom League fan - you get to pretend to be really, really knowledgeable of the game because you watch games that others aren't f*cked about watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indivudally as a striker not thinking about the team, I'd pick Torres.

In the team picked so far, I'd pick Ibra. Looks to me like they need a player who can hold up the ball at a world class level. I'd actually argue that Rooney would work better in the team picked so far than Torres would.

Torres though because in terms of strikers, right now, he is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Liverpool fan here... Picked Villa.

If we are going on the idea they are playing tomorrow Villa is older and more developed but I still think Torres is equal to him at the moment and will be even better than Villa in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ibra.
    I see him more than the rest and he is constantly Inters best player.

Insanely under rated on here, it;s is if you lot have the biggest set of sky sports blinkers ever made on you.

Also, how drogba can be ahead of someone who outscored him at club level this year is beyond me.

I say we all chip in and get Seaneh Sky Sports for his birthday, he is clearly upset about not having it. ;)

PiE wrote: »
    Being a Serie A fan is the new Eircom League fan - you get to pretend to be really, really knowledgeable of the game because you watch games that others aren't f*cked about watching.

Jasus, EPL fans can't handle a bit of slagging at all!

Anyway, I went for Villa, he has a better record than Torres and any time I watch Spain Villa always plays better. A year ago I would have picked Eto'o

Nando

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

any time I watch Spain Villa always plays better.

That's because Torres plays outside Spain. If anybody noticed in the qualifiers for the euro, after Torres went to Liverpool he didn't get played for Spain, they played Villa and Morientes!

And now for Spain Torres doesn't get much of the ball thats why, the Spain team don't like passing to him! Which is funny because when Fabregas or Alonso play they get passed to?! But generally Spain like to play players who play in Spain!

Anyway back to the topic at hand! I voted for Villa he is alot better than the others but Torres I would say is the second best in the world, alot better than the rest of the options outside Villa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's because Torres plays outside Spain. If anybody noticed in the qualifiers for the euro, after Torres went to Liverpool he didn't get played for Spain, they played Villa and Morientes!

And now for Spain Torres doesn't get much of the ball thats why, the Spain team don't like passing to him! Which is funny because when Fabregas or Alonso play they get passed to?! But generally Spain like to play players who play in Spain!

Anyway back to the topic at hand! I voted for Villa he is alot better than the others but Torres I would say is the second best in the world, alot better than the rest of the options outside Villa!

I've read a lot of stupid stuff, and have posted some myself, but that tops them all by a mile.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've read a lot of stupid stuff, and have posted some myself, but that tops them all by a mile.

I agree, total muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Considering the amount of goals you're going to get from a midfield of Messi, Gerrard and Ronaldo and Ibra's assist record, teamwork and the physique needed for a lone striker he's the perfect fit
    Nope. Considering the fact that Gerrard has been selected only strengthens the case for Torres to be picked given their sensational partnership of the past two years.

Ibrahimovich is easily the worst of the players on the list and has no place in the company of the others to be honest: a vastly overhyped big game bottler, who has failed to produce outside the dubious confines of Serie A.

Idu wrote: »
    Really?

In the last two years:
    Villa has played 81 games at club level scoring 53
    Torres has played 84 and scored 50

Think we can all agree that Liverpool are a better team than Valencia the last two years

At international level:
    Villa has played 25 games and scored 19
    Torres has played 25 games and scored 8

Eto's record is:
    Played 80 club games scored 54 goals
    Couldnt find his international stats

Ibra:
    Played 80 club games scored 51 goals

if this poll was to be based solely on stats, why the need to do a poll at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What Torres has become over the past couple of seasons is epic. He is big, quick, physical, good in the air, a genius in terms of movement, a lethal finisher and works his ****ing balls off for every minute of every game he plays (and a big moment performer). A true "**** you" player. And the best striker in the world at present.

image-5-for-manchester-united-v-liverpool-gallery-969550599.jpg

sorry LL you have you liverpool goggles on

here's the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Separating Villa or Torres is impossible, just comes down to your personal preference.

But of course it'll argued between Liverpool fans and fans of certain other clubs.
    :rolleyes: Pointless. Just vote.

Headshot wrote: »
    sorry LL you have you liverpool goggles on

Headshot, do me a favour, and admit that its equally possible that you have you anti-liverpool goggles on.....

Headshot, do me a favour, and admit that its equally possible that you have you anti-liverpool goggles on.....

how dare you Mr Alan i never let my man utd goggles cloud my judgement :D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What Torres has become over the past couple of seasons is epic. He is big, quick, physical, good in the air, a genius in terms of movement, a lethal finisher and works his ****ing balls off for every minute of every game he plays (and a big moment performer). A true "**** you" player. And the best striker in the world at present.

image-5-for-manchester-united-v-liverpool-gallery-969550599.jpg

I agree with pretty much every word of your post. But what does the bolded part even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flahavaj wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much every word of your post. But what does the bolded part even mean?

It's just a term I use to describe certain athletes who tend to produce their best stuff when it matters most, and that have massive amounts of inner hunger and desire to keep making significant contributions in games / seasons irrespective of whatever obstacles are placed infront of them. Ultimately making them impossible to consistently contain or dominate.

Don't mind me! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't mind me! :)
    Even though you're a mod, I never really did!:pac:;)

So why isn't Michael Owen on the list? :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

So why isn't Michael Owen on the list? :pac:
    Cos Liverpool and United fans would explode trying to control their bias ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Ibrahimovich is easily the worst of the players on the list and has no place in the company of the others to be honest: a vastly overhyped big game bottler, who has failed to produce outside the dubious confines of Serie A.
    Oh dear :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In my humble opinion, which is quite obviously the right one, it's between Villa and Torres, and considering up until now I've always had Villa in higher regard, I will be consistent, and thus my choice, and all your choices should be Villa... :pac:;)

P.S - To say Ibrahimovic isn't worthy of a poll option is ludicrous, but likewise is the omission of Forlan.... He HAS been the best striker in the world this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Nope. Considering the fact that Gerrard has been selected only strengthens the case for Torres to be picked given their sensational partnership of the past two years.

No sorry, let me fix that. He has failed to score in Champions League matches against English teams, where most people have seen him. He scored 5 Champions League goals in 7 games 2 years ago and has a respectable international record. Against United he was Inter's only good player and in that first leg was let down by Adriano so many times. His international record is better than Torres' (Villa has a better one and the African campaign makes it pointless to compare against the others).

The man is a creative genius and will create far more chances for the likes of Gerrard, Messi and Ronaldo than any other striker there because he's not a goalscorer in the same way the others are. He's the Rooney to Ronaldo, Mancini to Vialli and yet he still is continually Inter's top goalscorer over and over again. Every team he's in becomes completely reliant on him weather it's Ajax, Inter or Sweden.

Nobody who watches Serie A cares if others don't but it's so incredibly annoying when those who never watch it make outlandish statements about certain players skills based on 4 matches against English opposition. It's akin to Dunphy saying that Del Piero copied his free kick taking from Ronaldo because he hadn't seen him take one for years because he wasn't in the champion's league.

This season for instance he did much better than any of the English strikers scoring 7 more goals than the English top scorer in a league with effectively the exact same goals per game (around 2.5) and while Eto'o got 5 more goals, anyone in this list on that team in that league would have gotten at least that while Villa only got 3 more in a league that has .5 more goals per game. If you wanna vote for someone else, grand, it's very open but to say he doesn't belong is ignorance of a high order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Another thing... why is Ibra the onlay player who's name is in italics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seaneh wrote: »
    Another thing... why is Ibra the onlay player who's name is in italics?

Because you voted for him. Once you vote the option you choose changes to italics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Has to be Torres for me. Although Villa has perhaps outshone his international teammate somewhat over the past couple of seasons, I still think that Torres is the better all round player. He has it all. Lightning pace, wonderful technique and very good in the air.

Villa has scored more goals over the past couple of seasons (53 compared to 50) but the fact that about a fifth of his goals have come from the penalty spot has to be taken into account. If Torres was Pool's first choice penalty taker he'd have got over 60 goals in the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I went for Villa but it was close call between him and Torres.

I went with Villa just because I prefer him as a player.

Anyone who's been to a Liverpool match in the last couple of years will appreciate the work and movement Torres does off the ball, it's incredible- akin to Ian Rush.

Never been to a Valencia match so can't comment on Villa in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

eZe^ wrote: »
    In To say Ibrahimovic isn't worthy of a poll option is ludicrous, but likewise is the omission of Forlan.... He HAS been the best striker in the world this year.

A-HAHAHA-HAHAHA

HAHA

Best striker in the world?

Yes, he scored a lot of goals, but so have a lot of less-than-the-best strikers over the years.

Sure Freddie Kanoute has 78 goals in 3 seasons should he be on the list?
    Keane, Benzema, Toni?

Bottom line is - if they have no chance of winning, why bother to include?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Why is Ibrahimovic an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ God knows if you don't perform in England the rest of your achievements really have to be with a * to say "didn't really cut it in England though".

I went for Eto'o. His record over the last few years has been second to none, scored in pretty much all the big games, can score the easy tap in and the rocket. His penalty record is suspect which is his only downfall.

If it were 2 strikers I would have Torres as well. I have to say its only a hairs breath between those 2 and Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Voted for Ibra, I think I once remember watching a goal of his on Youtube where he beat about 20 million people (twice!) so he must be the bestest player ever.... OH wait!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Voted for Drogba, in this formation, he is the best player to lead the line (when in the mood which would obviously be all the time playing in a team this good :pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Think in that team and in that formation i'd have Drogba because he's a beast at playing that role. But otherwise I think the best striker is either Villa or Torres but Villa's longevity and international record(31 in 49) does it for me so he gets my vote. Give Torres 2 or 3 more years of doing what he does and he'd get my vote.

IMO Ibra is the ultimate lone striker. Inter's tactics revolve resemble "pass it to Ibra". He creates and scores all on his own upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I found it really tough to decide between Torres and Villa. But went for Villa in the end. As others have said, he's been doing it at the top level for a little longer than Torres and that's why he got my vote. Both terrific players though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In the last 8 years David Villa has failed to score 20 goals in a single season only once, for Zaragoza, where he only scored like 17 that season... :pac: Gotta love that kind of consistency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eZe^ wrote: »
    In the last 8 years David Villa has failed to score 20 goals in a single season only once, for Zaragoza, where he only scored like 17 that season... :pac: Gotta love that kind of consistency!
    Not taking anything away from Villa but it probably should be mentioned that a fair percentage of last seasons 28 goals were penalties.

eoccork wrote: »
    Why is Ibrahimovic an option?

Because he is a quality player, probably the most technically gifted of the 5 on this list and considered by some to be the best striker in the world.

Out of interest, is there anyone left who has voted for every player that has made the team so far? And is there anyone who has not voted for a single player to make the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I love Villa, and think he's probably a little more clinical, but Torres being as good as he is, while also being so big and strong, and more importantly able to use his strength, edges it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement