Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Striker

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Morzadec wrote: »
    Out of interest, is there anyone left who has voted for every player that has made the team so far? And is there anyone who has not voted for a single player to make the team?

Only ones i've missed out on are Ferdinand (i had carvalho) and Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Pighead wrote: »
    Not taking anything away from Villa but it probably should be mentioned that a fair percentage of last seasons 28 goals were penalties.

Somebody has to take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How do people not rate Ibrahimovic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Simple really,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Out of interest, is there anyone left who has voted for every player that has made the team so far? And is there anyone who has not voted for a single player to make the team?

Ive got all apart from gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

bohsman wrote: »
    People who don't watch Serie A don't see enough of him to rate him and others seem to think Serie A is an amatuer league or something they rate it that low.
    Simple really,
    That is one goal whereas bohsman linked to 30 top goals by Ibra, and if that's not enough here another 25 he scored last season

Simple really,

Youre saying that because Behan once scored a good goal it completely discounts Ibras strength, skill, pace, long shot and poaching skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Youre saying that because Behan once scored a good goal it completely discounts Ibras strength, skill, pace, long shot and poaching skills?

I think his point is that you can use you-tube to make any player look good, its in no way a valid means of assessing a players talent relative to others.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    No sorry, let me fix that. He has failed to score in Champions League matches against English teams, where most people have seen him. He scored 5 Champions League goals in 7 games 2 years ago and has a respectable international record. Against United he was Inter's only good player and in that first leg was let down by Adriano so many times. His international record is better than Torres' (Villa has a better one and the African campaign makes it pointless to compare against the others).
    I never mentioned Champions League matches against English clubs. I said he has failed to produce on big occasions. Champions League of course would be a good example of that. Just because it was against English teams is irrelevant to be honest, if it were Spanish or Greek teams it would amount to the same thing. I've waited and waited for this guy to produce even one big performence in the knock out stages of that competition that would even begin to justify the hype, time and time again he has gone missing.

As for his 5 goals in 7 games 2 years ago, thats a decent statistic, but its hardly anything to justify placing him in a poll to determine the current world's best.

As for his international record, Robbie Keane's is similar if not slightly better, should we throw him up there as well?:pac:
    The man is a creative genius and will create far more chances for the likes of Gerrard, Messi and Ronaldo than any other striker there because he's not a goalscorer in the same way the others are. He's the Rooney to Ronaldo, Mancini to Vialli and yet he still is continually Inter's top goalscorer over and over again. Every team he's in becomes completely reliant on him weather it's Ajax, Inter or Sweden.
    But the team has Gerrard and Torres, who could be yanno, the actual Gerrard to Torres, a proven partnership.

And Ajax, Inter and Sweden completely relying on Ibra says more about the rest of their teams than it does about Ibra, to be honest.
    Nobody who watches Serie A cares if others don't but it's so incredibly annoying when those who never watch it make outlandish statements about certain players skills based on 4 matches against English opposition. It's akin to Dunphy saying that Del Piero copied his free kick taking from Ronaldo because he hadn't seen him take one for years because he wasn't in the champion's league.

Again I made no reference to any of this, its totally irrelevant. Dunphyesque you might even say, ironically. I do find it funny that you on two separate occasions moan about people using the games against English teams as evidence against him, but when you're quite happy to use the same games to praise him like you do in your first paragraph. Double standards methinks.;)
    This season for instance he did much better than any of the English strikers scoring 7 more goals than the English top scorer in a league with effectively the exact same goals per game (around 2.5) and while Eto'o got 5 more goals, anyone in this list on that team in that league would have gotten at least that while Villa only got 3 more in a league that has .5 more goals per game. If you wanna vote for someone else, grand, it's very open but to say he doesn't belong is ignorance of a high order
    This season he also yet again failed to produce in the Champions League when he was needed most. Inter wanted badly to make an impact in Europe this year and Ibrahimovich being their so-called best player should have spearheaded that. Instead he fell flat, as he always does when the real big occasion players would have stepped up to the plate.

Yes, his goalscoring record was excellent in Serie A this year, but that league is commonly acknowledged as being the poorer relaton to La Liga and the Prem in recent years (Quoting average goals scored in a league per game is laughable by the way). Until he even begins to produce that form on a bigger stage, he will continue to be accused of being a flat track bully and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Watch him. Out of the list above, he has the worst teammates (IMO). He is a magician. This is coming from a Juve fan, I'm supposed to despise him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Watch him. Out of the list above, he has the worst teammates (IMO). He is a magician. This is coming from a Juve fan, I'm supposed to despise him.

So if he has the worst team mates out of the list (have you seen Valencia lately?) but they still win the league. What does that say about the opposition he is playing against.

I went for Torres, very hard to split him and Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No.6 was delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

22 should've been higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If there was a vote for greatest Youtube footballer.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

flahavaj wrote: »

This season he also yet again failed to produce in the Champions League when he was needed most. Inter wanted badly to make an impact in Europe this year and Ibrahimovich being their so-called best player should have spearheaded that. Instead he fell flat, as he always does when the real big occasion players would have stepped up to the plate.

Wrong, you're wrong, you;re so wrong it's funny, this is epiclly wrong.

He was one of the best players on the best in both games Vs. Utd this yeas, he is the only striker I have ever seen boss Ferdinand and Vidic at the same time, he won EVERYTHING and his control was mind blowing, the problem was that he was the only inter player in the final third 9 times out of 10 and as a result was quickly crowded out.

Nobody would have proformed any better in those two games, not a single player in the history of the game could have done anymore with the long balls that were lumpped at him by a hopelessly flat inter midfeild and the defensive mindset that Murinho played with, Not Van Basten, Not Weah, Not sheerer, not Raul or Shevchenko in their prime, nobody.

He didn't score, well superise superise, when you get ****ty service what the **** are you ment to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Seaneh wrote: »

He was one of the best players on the best in both games Vs. Utd this yeas, he is the only striker I have ever seen boss Ferdinand and Vidic at the same time, he won EVERYTHING and his control was mind blowing, the problem was that he was the only inter player in the final third 9 times out of 10 and as a result was quickly crowded out.

Nobody would have proformed any better in those two games, not a single player in the history of the game could have done anymore with the long balls that were lumpped at him by a hopelessly flat inter midfeild and the defensive mindset that Murinho played with, Not Van Basten, Not Weah, Not sheerer, not Raul or Shevchenko in their prime, nobody.

He didn't score, well superise superise, when you get ****ty service what the **** are you ment to do with it?
    Agree with every word, and it came from a Milan fan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

flahavaj wrote: »
    I never mentioned Champions League matches against English clubs. I said he has failed to produce on big occasions. Champions League of course would be a good example of that. Just because it was against English teams is irrelevant to be honest, if it were Spanish or Greek teams it would amount to the same thing. I've waited and waited for this guy to produce even one big performence in the knock out stages of that competition that would even begin to justify the hype, time and time again he has gone missing.

As for his 5 goals in 7 games 2 years ago, thats a decent statistic, but its hardly anything to justify placing him in a poll to determine the current world's best.

As for his international record, Robbie Keane's is similar if not slightly better, should we throw him up there as well?:pac:

But the team has Gerrard and Torres, who could be yanno, the actual Gerrard to Torres, a proven partnership.

And Ajax, Inter and Sweden completely relying on Ibra says more about the rest of their teams than it does about Ibra, to be honest.

Again I made no reference to any of this, its totally irrelevant. Dunphyesque you might even say, ironically. I do find it funny that you on two separate occasions moan about people using the games against English teams as evidence against him, but when you're quite happy to use the same games to praise him like you do in your first paragraph. Double standards methinks.;)

Yes, his goalscoring record was excellent in Serie A this year, but that league is commonly acknowledged as being the poorer relaton to La Liga and the Prem in recent years (Quoting average goals scored in a league per game is laughable by the way). Until he even begins to produce that form on a bigger stage, he will continue to be accused of being a flat track bully and rightly so.

First off, how is quoting goals scored laughable, it is easier to score in La Liga end of. Premiership is hardest, Serie A a close second. End of. Quite useful stats for gambling

Secondly, you almost certainly don't watch Serie A so what do you judge him on? His international performances which of recent have been pretty damn great or his televised (AKA vs. English teams) Champions league matches? The people who recognize Serie A as poorer don't watch it. In 2006, every World Cup winner played in Serie A.It hasn't gotten that much worse.

As for Inter's champion's league attempt this year, he played great in the knockout stages and his team ****ed up. I don't think there's one Inter fan here. I'm Juve, a few others are as well and theres one Roma and a few AC. You would never ever hear every Liverpool fan waxing lyrical about Ronaldo, that's how good Ibra is

Seaneh wrote: »

Exaggerate much? Jesus.

Again I laugh at how the Ibrahimovich nut huggers get so wound up when his performances against English teams are thrown against him but here there are using the exact same games to praise his semi-decent showing at Old Trafford. Ridiculous double standards there.

Oh and the difference between Ibra and that host of great players you mentioned is that thay'd have scored the sitters he missed in that match with their eye closed.(now that games against English teams are fair game again :pac:). Remember the header from one yard that he fluffed? Bottler.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    First off, how is quoting goals scored laughable, it is easier to score in La Liga end of. Premiership is hardest, Serie A a close second. End of. Quite useful stats for gambling
    Whats the average number of goals per game scored in the Eircom league, so? Ridiculous argument.
    Secondly, you almost certainly don't watch Serie A so what do you judge him on? His international performances which of recent have been pretty damn great or his televised (AKA vs. English teams) Champions league matches? The people who recognize Serie A as poorer don't watch it. In 2006, every World Cup winner played in Serie A.It hasn't gotten that much worse.
    How do you know that I don't watch Serie A?? Typical of the defensive stance that Serie A fans take the minute the league is criticised. I've seen plenty of that league to know its at a level significantly below the fare on show in the Premier League and La Liga the last few years. Maybe Serie A hasn't gotten much worse as you say (which is a highly dubious point btw) , but the difference is La liga and the Premiership are improving at anexponential rate compared to it: its been left behind. The World class players have no desire to play in Italy anymore, they're heading mainly to Spain or (admittedly in less numbers) this year to England, the money has dried up and consequently the overall standard is dropping fast. Back in the 90's Serie A was the place to be because thats where the big money was, hence the Wold class players and huge signings happened there. Now the big TV money is in Spain and England and consequently the big signings and best players ply their trade there. If you can't see that you're totally blinkered and fooling only yourself.

Oh and South Korea made the semi finals of the world Cup before that with mainly players from their own league, but I don't see anyone lauding the merits of that league. Again really weak argument, Bubs, you're usually better than this.

As for Inter's champion's league attempt this year, he played great in the knockout stages and his team ****ed up. I don't think there's one Inter fan here. I'm Juve, a few others are as well and theres one Roma and a few AC. You would never ever hear every Liverpool fan waxing lyrical about Ronaldo, that's how good Ibra is
    So you admire an opposition player, bully for you, its hardly a cogent argument. If people are narrow minded and ignorant enough not to praise the players of oposition teams who deserve it, its more of a reflection on soccer fans as a whole than anything else, to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

Mr Maroon wrote: »

So you'll agree that if Inter are as bad as you say as an overall team and if they've been the best team in Itlay by a comfortable distance the last few years, that surely to God that speaks volumes as to the quality of Serie A compared to La Liga and the Prem?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Serie A's top 4 aren't as good as England's or Spain's but the quality of the rest of the league is alot higher IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Torres by a long way imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I predicted this team, with Torres up front and Iniesta instead of Xavi. I did vote for Sagna ahead of Maicon, because I watched very little Serie A past two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i got most of them right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So Torres takes the final spot and the team is complete.

We should get this going again next summer and see who manages to keep their place in the team.

Any predictions for new faces in the Boards.ie 2010 dream team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Michael Owen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Drogba 3 votes lawl :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I couldn't decide who to vote for, and I missed the deadline. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Arshavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I won't quote all of the responses to my last post in this thread but....

yes, I have seen Valencia play recently. A front 4 of Silva, Villa, Jaoquin and Mata isn't bad!

yes, Serie A is of a lower standard than EPL or La Liga these days.

The whole argument is redundant in many ways because one side only have statistics and the odd CL match to go on.

• Advertisement

Would love to see Aguerro have a great season and get in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Alesandro Nesta after a full season competing for Serie A and the Champions League.

Ibrahimovich 11, LOL.:pac:

Owen to make next years team too.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Benzema? He will be on the end of a lot of attacking flair, can't help but score a rake of goals...

Advertisement