Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what film

Options
  • 09-07-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

those of you that shoot 35mm film - what do you generally buy and why choose it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

My favourite films are Fuji pro400h as I like the colours and it's a fairly useful ISO for use in this country.

For black and white I use Ilford xp2 as i haven't dared to process a roll by myself yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Portra:
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59866344&postcount=1

It seems to shine on screen in ways other film does not.

I should do more printing and compare with fujifilm Reala which is beautifully smooth.

There are some posts about film on my Shortsights blog, mostly from last year.

I still prefer film to digital as the detail is so much better, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

B&W Ilford, It's been awhile since I bought colour, but I used to get Kodachrome, I'll have to look into buying colour again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

trishw78 wrote: »
    B&W Ilford

+1

Takes ages to get it developed but well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

trishw78 wrote: »
    B&W Ilford, It's been awhile since I bought colour, but I used to get Kodachrome, I'll have to look into buying colour again.

Ilford is the best. Fuji shop RIGHT next door to me wont touch it though. :(

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    those of you that shoot 35mm film - what do you generally buy and why choose it?

It would be interesting to know why you ask this. I used read a lot of reviews of film brands, just to build up a working knowledge of ISO and help my vocabulary.

Do you have a favourite film? I've had some really nice effects with the free Fuji film I used get when having work processed.

Velvia for slides is nice:

http://picturethis.channel4.com/photo/18720#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

tri-x for B&W mostly, although I mix and match all the time. I like seeing what different B&W films do. At the moment I have a couple of rolls of neopan 1600 to get through to see if they'll do better than delta 3200, and some pan f to try.

Fuji for slide, Provia 400x is a godsend.

Kodak for print film. All the Portras, with a special place in my heart for portra NC shot at about 125 or so. Also Ektar which is rapidly becoming my favouritest film of all time. Portra 800 is probably the best fast colour film, at least for scanning. I've never managed to scan the fast fuji negative films successfully. They turn baddd.
    jao wrote: »

Nothing to do with it being Ilford, they wouldn't be able to develop fuji Neopan either, any proper B&W film. Try some of the C-41 B&W films and they'll be able to develop. Or start developing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Anouilh wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know why you ask this. I used read a lot of reviews of film brands, just to build up a working knowledge of ISO and help my vocabulary.

Do you have a favourite film? I've had some really nice effects with the free Fuji film I used get when having work processed.

Aha, the inquisitive mind :) My last experience with 35mm film was many years ago and only with a P&S film cameras of varying kinds including a really cool Yashica yoke. My first digital P&S (A Kodak 2.1MP something or other) had me hooked and never to process film again. But I bought a 50 lens a while back and it happened to have a Pentax Me Super attached to it ;)

My curiosity has been steadily increasing and I reckon I should give it a go with the Me Super. I often look back on old pictures and marvel at the dynamic range and rich contrast but I have never shot with a film SLR and now I have one which is more than capable so I am curious, curious, very curious.

But i've just no idea what film I would have used previously so hence I'm interested to see what others use and why they use it.

I want to try both colour and black and white and see how I like the results.

Aha, the inquisitive mind :

I want to try both colour and black and white and see how I like the results.

Also, it seemed polite to show an interest in your experience...

Now I'm very glad I asked. Most of your success will depend on who processes your film. I had some hit and miss experiences before I found the Fuji Shop in Dundrum Shopping Centre... poor scanning to CD and, in some cases, scratched negatives.
    I was advised to always ask for negatives to be left uncut, as later on it is not so dear to get them printed.
    Also, because it can be an expensive hobby, I just get film processed and scanned and rarely ask for prints.

Anouilh wrote: »
    Now I'm very glad I asked. Most of your success will depend on who processes your film. I had some hit and miss experiences before I found the Fuji Shop in Dundrum Shopping Centre... poor scanning to CD and, in some cases, scratched negatives.

I eventually had to start developing all my own colour along with my B&W because of this. Cheaper too. about €1.50 a roll to do all my own development and scanning. Although of course the scanner DID cost a little over €600 when I got it. Thats a whole pile of film development right there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I've been using the free fuji stuff from unicare the past while. Results haven't been too bad. Have an Ilford B+W and a T-Max B+W, both 3200. T max was over €8 in Gunnes, ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

B&W, I always use Ilford HP5 :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The free Fuji is200. 1. Because it's free.

I've still got about 400 rolls of it so I'll be on it for a while.

If I had a choice and money then Ilford for B+W and for colour I'd always be trying different ones. Liked Kodachrome a lot and didn't mind the wait. I was always surprised at how quick it was in retuning. I mostly used Kodachrome living in Israel and it'd be back in just over a week. Took a little longer here someyimes but sure it's only waiting which I've never found hard work. Now immediacey I get a headache from.

humberklog wrote: »

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

:D

I know:o.
    People just started picking it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

HP5 400 is really lovely for low contrast stuff, but if you want something with a bit more punch you could try the FP4? The 125 is lovely for portraits if you get the light. I exposed a roll of PanF plus 50 a while ago by accident :(

Actually, you've just reminded me - gonna bring the film camera and some nice film into a studio shoot I have on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

humberklog wrote: »
    The free Fuji is200. 1. Because it's free.

If I had a choice and money then Ilford for B+W and for colour I'd always be trying different ones. Liked Kodachrome a lot and didn't mind the wait. I was always surprised at how quick it was in retuning. I mostly used Kodachrome living in Israel and it'd be back in just over a week. Took a little longer here someyimes but sure it's only waiting which I've never found hard work. Now immediacey I get a headache from.

If ya don't mind my asking, what is the deal with this free film? Seen Humberklog post his? stuff with the free film listed for awhile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

I pick film because of the texture and colour tone and this varies on what my mood is!!
    At the moment its Fujifilm NPS 160 for colour, Velvia for slide and Ilford HP4 or 5. I have some Ilford PanF plus 50 that I'm looking forward to trying....

There is a plug in for photoshop that will give you different film effects, Its Dxo about 80 euro to buy, but a free trial available here if you want to see what different films do!

Panhour wrote: »
    There is a plug in for photoshop that will give you different film effects, Its Dxo about 80 euro to buy, but a free trial available here if you want to see what different films do!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am personally torn between home processing (that I don't want to do, but love the final product) and lab processing of standard films. Got my old camera back into my hands and I just cannot wait to load some film into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Tallon wrote: »
    +1

Takes ages to get it developed but well worth it

I develop it myself it only takes a max of 30 mins, from loading the film in the tank to drying.
    jao wrote: »

You should learn to develop it yourself it's dead easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Material wise, how much money are we talking to get a devolpement kit

I pick film because of the texture and colour tone and this varies on what my mood is!!
    At the moment its Fujifilm NPS 160 for colour, Velvia for slide and Ilford HP4 or 5. I have some Ilford PanF plus 50 that I'm looking forward to trying....

Those plugins are fun to use.

I've just tagged some of the threads from the past with "film, analog" and names of film used, for example "velvia". If others here do the same, we will have a quick link to all the threads already on Boards.ie.

There are many film groups on Flickr, including ones that give tips for recipes for developing.

I like this group as the discussion is varied:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is_not_dead/discuss/

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Tallon wrote: »
    Material wise, how much money are we talking to get a devolpement kit

€100 max should get you all you need. Some goood info here on what required:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf

I eventually had to start developing all my own colour along with my B&W because of this. Cheaper too. about €1.50 a roll to do all my own development and scanning. Although of course the scanner DID cost a little over €600 when I got it. Thats a whole pile of film development right there :rolleyes:

What type of scanner did you get Daire?

If ya don't mind my asking, what is the deal with this free film? Seen Humberklog post his? stuff with the free film listed for awhile now.

A lot of Unicare pharmacys are giving away free Fuji 200 36exp film. Some of them are out of it at the moment. I picked up 700 rolls myself.

FX Meister wrote: »
    What type of scanner did you get Daire?

Nikon Coolscan V

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

3308136424_d924017446.jpg

the plug in is ok, doesnt really represent real film tho... something just cant be replicated digitally with film...

With film, learning about how exposure is more critical than with digital. This might help:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/49058515@N00/discuss/72157617912898395/

I think I mentioned this before, but it's very worthwhile writing down the ev and tv values, recording the number of stops on the exposure scale when taking photos. Then look at the photos closely and see what the differences are. It sets up a subconscious body of information that becomes easier in time.

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/tips/054a_exposure_sunny_16.htm

This site mentions that Kodachrome can be "unforgiving"

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3762805_fpgXr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

anyone know where i can source some cheap colour slide film ... like Ektachrome in largish batches, maybe 10 rolls. out of date is grand, and anyone know where ya can get neg film xproed in e6 locally?

Advertisement